Why are Glocks always called DAO guns?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by GasTurbine, Jun 14, 2012.

1. TheJ

TheJ NRA Life Member
    Lifetime Member

My understanding of the M&P has always been that practically speaking the gun is fully cocked without pulling the trigger but technically it is DAO because there is some modicum of cocking action (although Much less than Glocks) that takes place when the trigger is pulled.... As explained here:http://mp-pistol.com/boards/index.php?showtopic=517&st=0&p=3666&#entry3666
    And here: http://mp-pistol.com/boards/index.php?/topic/32456-single-or-double-action/page__hl__dao#entry318203
    If my understanding is incorrect (as explained above) and the M&P trigger technically only performs one action, then what exactly is the DAO designation based on?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. When I hear Striker Fired I think of Raven, Davis, Jennings and the other cheap poorly made $125 guns.

3. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur
    Millennium Member CLM

4. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur
    Millennium Member CLM

When I hear 'striker fired' I cringe.....

Guns have firing pins.......'strikers' play soccer, ring bells, and refuse to go to work.

Some firing pins are powered by the impact of a spring loaded hammer, and others, like Glocks, are powered directly by a spring.

5. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur
    Millennium Member CLM

My observations tell me that the M&P is indeed fully cocked when the slide closes and is single action.

The Glock firing pin is partially cocked when the slide closes and is only fully cocked when the trigger is pulled.....double action.....as designated by the BATFE. The beauty of the Glock safe action is that it is up to the user to decide how he wants to use it.

6. It's all in the lingo and marketing the gun, I believe this is the case with Glock too...

7. Thank you! Your blog is excellent reference material and your posts are always very well structured and explained, I'm glad there are so many people like you here, great place to learn things, also to express opinion, I guess.
    I understand the point with the DAO, in fact I have absolutely no problem to go with the manufacturer's designation of the action of the trigger or something else, I was just curious why companies go one time with one explanation ( technical ) than they go with another - subjective, user's interface... It's all for profit after all... Moving the sear thousand of an inch is not enough to designate it as DAO... sounds to me just as the rest of the basically useless stuff as "Positive Sear Engagement" in the 1911 firing group... I don't know, marketing tricks maybe...
    Aside from the technical part IMHO we should look at the gun and the action/trigger system as a black box - the use should not care what is the mechanics in the gun, you care only for the trigger, the pull and so on, if it feels as SA - it is SA gun, if it operates as SA - it is SA gun... I don't know, someone to correct me, but Glock operates exactly as a SA gun, actually from what I read the designers were looking for such a hybrid feeling and mechanics...

8. Double action only. It's a double action only, not a double action. These two different action types are distinct in their differences.

9. vmann

vmann Controller

finally someone who knows what they are talking about....

there is alot horrible information being put on this post....

10. Negative. The Glock is a locked breach, recoil operated double action only pistol. This is verbatim right from Glock via the armorer's course...

11. Of course it is not DAO...you have an invisible hammer that you pull down...:rofl:

12. My x5 is designated by Sig as SAO and I also agree on your stand about the trigger of the M&P - it is way better than off the box Glock's, especially gens up to 3, gen4 is different, maybe I find it better because I only shot “-“ connectors.

I also agree on the defining the action from what the trigger is doing, but in the case of M&P and XD, manufacturer was intentionally looking for that trigger to “feel” as DA trigger, it was market targeting, so things are not so simple…

There is of course designation based on the mechanical properties of the system (trigger) but generally speaking, the gun should be “black box” a shooter does not have to know how the mechanics work, you feel this by the trigger, it’s a user interface, you designate the trigger by the way you feel it, that’s why (I could be wrong, and actually I’m not looking for discussion, it’s just an opinion…) in regard that Glock does not have a second strike capability as for instance Sig 250, I would say: mechanically it is DA pistol, by user interface, by the way you operate the gun it is SA.
    Safe Action for me is just marketing gimmick, that little thing on the trigger is mechanically anything else but safety, there is no probable way of pressing on this trigger, by finger or any otherway, without pressing on the “safety” so IMHO this thing is far from “Safety Action”and there are plenty of cases to support such idea…

13. Agreed, the lack of a second strike precludes it from being a true DAO. If you have a misfire on a Glock, for whatever reason, the slide must be cycled to reset the trigger. I always thought striker fired is a more descriptive phrase.