close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Why Am I Shooting High?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by avery53, May 17, 2013.

1. avery53

avery53
    Expand Collapse

I bought my Glock 19 a couple of months ago, it is my first Glock.
    I have always been a 1911 and a revolver shooter, but this thing is giving me fits as to why I shoot it so high. ( 4" at 10 yds ) :wow:
    A buddy who shoots Glocks at the police matches, took it with him to one of their shoots. Three different excellent shooters tried it out, all said it shot dead on for them.
    I don't have this problem with the 1911, so I must be doing something wrong.
    I am using the same sight picture, but apparently I'm doing something stupid.
    I'm not a newbie, been shooting handguns for 40+ years.
    This thing has me stumped.
    Any ideas?

Thanks avery

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Fire_Medic

Fire_Medic
    Expand Collapse
    Polymer Butcher
    CLM

The hump on the backstrap is making the gun point high for you, you're use to the thinner and flatter 1911 gun.

This is normal for a lot of folks new to Glocks, more so those that come from 1911's and are shooting one of the compact models.

If you take the gun (empty) in your hands and press out (like to point shoot) with your eyes closed, when you open your eyes the front sight will be high. It's a training issue but you can/will get passed it. Or buy one of the bigger frame models G17/etc and the issue might resolve as well. The hump on the bigger guns does not sit on the same place in your hand.

The other gentlemen had no issues because they're use to the Glock platform as you stated.

:wavey:

#2 Fire_Medic, May 17, 2013
    Last edited: May 17, 2013
  3. avery53

avery53
    Expand Collapse

I'm sitting here right now with gun in hand, you are correct about how it points. I'll keep working on it, hopefully I can get over the "hump". :supergrin:

Thanks for the quick reply
    avery

4. Fire_Medic

Fire_Medic
    Expand Collapse
    Polymer Butcher
    CLM

You're very welcome. Training will correct it, or you can have the backstrap flattened/reduced.

Good luck and congrats on the new gun.

5. Diesel McBadass

Diesel McBadass
    Expand Collapse
    Tactically Epic

mine shoots a bit high, maybe 2 inches, consistent for other shooters too, heard its a problem common with glocks. One reason is sights being "one size fits all" From the 34s to the 26s.

6. Butch

Butch
    Expand Collapse
    RetiredDinosaur
    Millennium Member CLM

Are you aligning the sights with the front post down into the rear notch so they are flat across the top like this?

[​IMG]

Or holding the front sight a little proud so you can see the whole white dot like this?
    [​IMG]

#6 Butch, May 17, 2013
    Last edited: May 17, 2013
  7. suburbanhillbilly

suburbanhillbilly
    Expand Collapse

I'm glad you got a real answer because from your title, I was expecting something completely different.

8. packinaglock

packinaglock
    Expand Collapse
    John 3:16
    1. Glock Talk's Drunk Squad

If your having trouble shooting high my advice would be to lay off the weed man. :supergrin:

9. JBP55

JBP55
    Expand Collapse

Never had that problem with a Glock or any other pistol. Proper sight alignment and trigger press works with all pistols. Rapid defensive shooting will require additional shooting if you are hooked on the 1911 platform.

10. Diesel McBadass

Diesel McBadass
    Expand Collapse
    Tactically Epic

not all guns are zeroed for same sight picture, im a sight picture 3 guy, some like two, bullseye shooters like 1, ive shot a kimber that shot sight picture 1 and my rounds were 6 inches high, my cz is dead on and the glock 2 inches high

11. kodiakpb

kodiakpb
    Expand Collapse

If your sights are properly aligned the hump has nothing to do with shooting high.

12. Jim S.

Jim S.
    Expand Collapse

I thought the same thing at first but I sure wasn't gonna say that. :supergrin:

13. Fire_Medic

Fire_Medic
    Expand Collapse
    Polymer Butcher
    CLM

On the compact Glocks to those new to Glocks, depending on your hand size the "hump" will sit in the middle of your palm. When you then grab the front strap with your dominant hand, if you're not paying attention this will cause the front of the pistol to come up some. When you go shoot, if you're not aware of this you might "think" your sights are aligned properly, but they're not. You will find yourself in a situation like the one Butch describes, and this can easily cause you to shoot high. This is VERY common (as I previously stated) with a lot of folks new to Glocks. I had this very same issue, so I am speaking from experience with myself as well as with experience teaching new shooters to shoot Glocks.

"For me", the larger G17/G22 grip is more comfortable because the "hump" sits lower in my hand, my hand is not as cramped with the more comfortable spacing in the finger grooves, and thus I also shoot that frame gun better.

You may not have experienced this, but it is a reality for some people. Very strong statement to say something you read could not possibly have anything at all to do with what is being discussed.

Please provide some backup/reasoning as to why what I and many people that I have taught have experienced is not possible.

If I was so off base the OP would not have experienced what I say when pressing out as I described with his eyes closed and then opening his eyes.

FM :wavey:

14. ron59

ron59
    Expand Collapse
    Bustin Caps

Well, the grip angle is different between Glocks and 1911s. So perhaps you're using the proper sight picture, but just as you're breaking the trigger... subconsciously moving your wrist to the position you were with the 1911?

15. kodiakpb

kodiakpb
    Expand Collapse

You misunderstood what I said.

The hump can effect POI if you are used to a slightly different grip angle during point shooting/follow through. The user would be subconsciously locking the wrist at the angle they are used to during trigger break (resulting in an incorrect sight picture)...and either shoot high or low. For aimed fire (ie. if your sights are properly aligned), it doesn't matter. Proper sight picture/sight alignment is proper sight picture/sight alignment.

Edit: Ron understood what I was getting at.

#15 kodiakpb, May 18, 2013
    Last edited: May 18, 2013
  16. avery53

avery53
    Expand Collapse

I do use sight picture #1.

Perhaps ron59 has something there. Grip angle and the trigger are both foreign to me. I'll keep practicing, and hope I can beat this thing.

Thanks everyone
    avery

17. HK Dan

HK Dan
    Expand Collapse

Hey Avery...is there any chance that you are looking at the target to see your shot hole just before you shoot? That's far more likely to cause you to shoot high than the GLOCK grip angle if you are using the sights.

18. clawsonbob

clawsonbob
    Expand Collapse

I don't know why you are shooting high.

But I know firearms are dangerous and the use of any substances while handling firearms is a very bad idea...:supergrin:

#18 clawsonbob, May 18, 2013
    Last edited: May 18, 2013
  19. avery53

avery53
    Expand Collapse

Growing up in the 50's and 60's, the only substance I abused came in a 12oz brown bottle.
    I am on pain killers since my back surgery, does that count? :supergrin:

20. garya1961

garya1961
    Expand Collapse

Focus on the front sight not the target.