close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Why am I getting stovepipes?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by HD45ACP, Nov 14, 2012.

1. HD45ACP

HD45ACP

Jul 20, 2011
    I was shooting my Glock with a 6" aftermarket barrel and I got a few stovepipes, Is it because the barrel is slowing down the slide too much? Do I need a heavier recoil spring?

Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
  2. SJ 40

SJ 40

Jan 17, 2011
    Vermont
    You haven't supplied enough information to be of any help. What Glock G 21? or what.other than the barrel what other non OEM parts? SJ 40

3. HD45ACP

HD45ACP

Jul 20, 2011
    OK, 6" KKM Barrel, Glock 20, I was using full power ammo and cheap weak 10mm ammo as well.

4. HD45ACP

HD45ACP

Jul 20, 2011
    The last time I used the Oem barrel I think it was flawless, but I saw a mark in the bore and I didn't want to take any chances. I already had a spare kkm barrel so I'm using it instead, its not for self defense so I'm not worried about its reliability as much.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
  5. HD45ACP

HD45ACP

Jul 20, 2011
  6. Difficult to be sure without inspecting the weapon. However, if function was reliable with stock barrel, I suspect that the aftermarket barrel was a "drop in fit" and does not fit properly. It sounds like the barrel is too tight at lock up. Again, difficult to be sure without seeing the weapon.

Don't forget, stove pipe malfunction can also be related to: extractor, ejector, ammunition, shooter induced, and magazine. I'm sure I'm forgetting one or two.

Good luck.

7. SouthpawG26

SouthpawG26

Sep 4, 2004
    Suriname
    If the barrel is truly the only part that was changed, than I'd initially suspect a tight chamber, making extraction of the spent case a bit more difficult.