close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Why a Shotgun for home defense?

Discussion in 'Tactical Shotguns' started by ennis, Dec 29, 2010.

1. ennis

ennis

Dec 1, 2010
    I see tons of people discussing their "HD" shotguns. Maybe I just live in a small house, but a shotgun seems unwieldy in tight, indoor spaces. Without bashing me too much, can folks explain the thinking in choosing a shotgun over handguns? Thanks

2. wrenrj1

wrenrj1

May 22, 2002
    Huskerville
    No bashing necessary, it's a personal choice.

It may not work for you, but others like shotty's for various reasons. Gauge, and a multitude of different rounds you can load from bird shot, to buckshot, to slugs. Over penetration is an issue if you may live in an apartment etc. Just racking the slide of a pump is intimidating itself. Point and shoot is also a positive aspect of a shotty as the projectiles expand in area thus increasing the chance of a hit.

3. GAFinch

GAFinch

Feb 23, 2009
    Georgia
    When you hold a pistol with your arms straight out, it's just as far from your body as a shotgun.

4. K.Kiser

K.Kiser

Jan 23, 2010
    Shreveport, La.
    Why a shotgun..? First - a shoulder weapon tends to fired more accurately IMO... Secondly - no pistol offered is gonna stop the BS like a scattergun will... Many pistol cartridge play cards together and brag about their ability to stop a fight, but then a 12 ga. busts through the door and pimps slaps them all, drinks their beers, kisses their women, craps in their toilets, urinates on their fire, eats their twinkies, and tells them that it's time to go to bed on a school night... Any questions..?

5. aippi

aippi

Jun 12, 2009
    If you need a firearm to defend yourself it becomes a gun fight. So, if you are going to a gun fight, take a shotgun. If you can't take a shotgun, don't go.

6. m24shooter

m24shooter

Jan 21, 2009
    Up close against an un-armored target there is nothing that will put a biblical hurt on somebody like a shotgun.
    There is going to be a very large wound with 8 or 9 wound tracks (assuming 00) radiating out from the entrance wound if the target is within 5-7 yards (farther if you're running a modified gun or using FC loads) if you do your part and aim. Pellet spread isn't going to do very much to offset poor or no aiming at close distances, it is more than point and shoot.
    As with anything, there are tradeoffs, and the user has to keep those in mind so that they are aware of the shortcomings of the shotgun and act accordingly.

7. dc2integra

dc2integra

Oct 3, 2009
    Id rather have a long gun than a handgun in any situation were i have to defend myself.I use my handgun to get to my shotgun :supergrin:

Last edited: Dec 29, 2010
  8. Sheepdog Scout

Sheepdog Scout Behind you!

Jan 23, 2010
    Who knows?
    A man after my heart. And Jeff Coopers.

I love handguns. I believe more than any other people, Americans have an affinity for handguns. Handguns to me, are strictly a second or third option compared to a rifle or shotgun if one is available.

9. vista461

vista461

Jul 10, 2006
    S.E. WI
    :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

10. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Moderator Millennium Member Lifetime Member

Jan 16, 2001
    Buried in the X-files
    I prefer a rifle for indoor work by vocation, training and experience. Right behind that is a good 12 gauge. Pistols are inherently weak stoppers. A shotgun, with a single round of buckshot, is a bit different than a pistol. A pistol you get off 2-3 rounds in quick succession and hope you hit center mass.

A shotgun round is a .33 caliber pellet bringing six or seven friends along for the ride all in the same area. One pellet might not hit something vital, but odds are 'the friends' did. If you put the round where it needs to go, one of them has a far higher chance of hitting something that matters.

Shotguns do have their downsides, such as low ammo capacity. But for most house defense situations if you exceed 3 rounds fired you're run into an MS13 hit squad or the guys who you are up against are extremely determined.

I prefer 30 rounds of 5.56 myself, because i've spent years clearing buildings with an M4. But a shotgun OR a rifle is not particularly any longer than a pistol in a standard shooting stance. Considering how many rooms, bathrooms, hallways, closets, portapotties, aircraft cockpits, trucks, cars, Humvees, attics, and everthing else i've managed to get myself into with a rifle and body armor on.....doing it with a shotgun would not have been appreciably harder. I've cleared rooms with an M249 machine gun, which is a hell of a lot bulkier than an 870.

Unless you have training and brought friends, you don't clear buildings. Not unless it's a serious emergency. In either case, i'd prefer a long gun. The pistol is a backup, or used in circumstances where only one hand is available (carrying a kid for example). In most situations, hunkering down, calling the cops, and aiming at the door is the survivable answer. Use the shotgun as a hallway howitzer. If they come through the door, they're getting 8-32 pellets coming their way in a hurry.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2010
  11. mixflip

mixflip

Mar 4, 2009
    Your chances of "stopping" a threat with one pull of the trigger is far higher on a shotgun. Thats my #1 reason.

#2, I can hit a moving target easier with a shotgun and 00-buck than I can with a handgun. (example, I cant hit clay pigeons for nothing with my handgun?)

I look at it this way...if a mentally disturbed person with a knife was charging at me... I'd rather have a shotgun loaded with 00-buck.

Btw I personally feel its foolish to go clearing a house of home invaders alone. I always tell my wife, if someone is kicking in the door, grab the shotgun, make it ready for live fire, retreat to a back room, lock the door, take cover behind a bed or dresser, cover the door with the muzzle at all times (aka the fatal funnel), call 911 and put it on speaker phone, yell out that you called the cops and you have a gun, if they still try to open the door.... identify that they are indeed the bad guys and "blow them away!!!"

Hunting them down leaves you susceptible to falling right into an ambush by multiple bad guys. Of course rescuing your kids is a valid reason to venture out.

12. Sheepdog Scout

Sheepdog Scout Behind you!

Jan 23, 2010
    Who knows?
    This is the philosophy I subscribe to as well. In a home invasion situation, if you can help it, it's better to retreat to an area than clearing the house. Especially if you're alone.

13. j.primo

j.primo

Dec 17, 2010
    CALIFORNIA
    ^^FTW

Hahahah

14. KK40384

KK40384

Jun 19, 2009
    Michigan
    :rofl:I laughed so hard I think I peed a little :rofl:

15. i do believe this is signature material.

16. Beware Owner

Beware Owner NOT a victim.

Oct 16, 2007
    This thread is hilarious. Personally, I have a tendency to make head shots. Couple that with the fact that I have two sweet little girls and their mommy there, wonder why they call them Mossy....do they mean "messy"?

17. Kegs

Kegs Ol 8 fingers ;)

Oct 26, 2009
    Cold side of conus
    A shotgun is the hardest hitter available to the typical civilian homeowner.

Want a shorty, here it is:

[​IMG]

Available here:http://www.tromix.com/saiga.htm

For a serious home invasion by crackheads, meth dealers or gangs of the urban sort, , I would most definitely prefer this + armor over anything I can think of. I would not use 0 or 00 buck, but rather 000 buckshot, just a personal preference.

Consider custom loads with tungsten carbide bearings for punks using soft armor. A few flagged mags handy should do the trick.

18. Beware Owner

Beware Owner NOT a victim.

Oct 16, 2007
    Looks absolutely perverted and sick...I love it! :supergrin:

19. DRAGON1970

DRAGON1970

Dec 10, 2009
    To all involved. Do you keep your shotguns on the nightstand??

20. Aceman

Aceman

Nov 30, 2008
    Tampa
    I will not say that pistola does not have its advantages - because it does. And your skill/comfort with the weapon of choice counts for a lot too. It's a totally reasonable question. My response:

#1 Long gun inherently more accurate - and I'm more accurate with it
    #2 Buck = more margin for error on shot placement
    #3 More shot = more likelihood of critical hit
    #4 Better stopper overall than any handgun
    #5 Higher utility as a weapon (large steel stick) for me
    #6 I'm more certain of my skill with it, and more comfortable shooting it