Why 7 Round Mags for 1911 Gov/Comm.

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by PghJim, Jun 27, 2013.

1. WELL! My favorite 1911 is a Kimber Stainless Pro Carry II. You will notice that Kimber tech sheet says 7 rounds also.

I am on my fourth box of 1K UMC 230 gr hard ball so it is broken in. I took two Power Mag Chip McCormick Custom mags to the club. I ran 5 mags thru at 7 + 1. ran like a top.

at 8 + 1 I had to use a bit of force to get the mag to seat (Barney load). We pulled the magazine to inspect #1 (top round) round. the brass has been marked pretty well by the force used to seet the magazine. Unless the slide was well lubed it did not like to load #1 with 8 + 1. So IMO this is a 7 + 1 pistol and I got no problem with that :)

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. barth

barth six barrels

Off Topic.
    But my classic Sig P220 45 came with 7 round mags.
    Later Sig changed to 8 round in the same size.
    And there were folks that talked reliability issues with the 8 rounders as well.
    I've stuck with the original 7 round mags.
    And have never ever had a FTF.

#62 barth, Jul 6, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2013
  3. THis is how I run my 1911s, no issues using good 8rd mags. The 1911 gets a lot of bad press as unreliable but most issues can be traced to cheap mags.
    #63 fredj338, Jul 7, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2013
  4. I am sure you are right. I never feel disadvantaged with 7 in the pistol and 7 on my belt. The pro carry II runs without fail at 7 and 7. My last 200shots NMC 50 yds average 84 points for 10 shot strings. 25 yd average is about 10 points higher.

I noticed several made note they wanted non-protruding bases on their mags? Wonder why that is. I think those rubber bumpers seat the mag more easily and securely??
  5. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve Decap Pin Killa

McCormick 8 rd Shooting Star mag is the flush fit mag that's in my carry gun (no magwell). I like the flush fit, as it doesn't print as badly when carrying. Spare mags have the pad for exactly the reason you state. Although I've shot the shooting star mags a bunch, they don't see competition like the Powermags do, because my single stack gun (TRP) has a magwell. The flush fit get a little lost in there. :supergrin: