Glock Talk banner

Who's the #@%&* who told me I could shoot .40s&w out of my 10mm bbl?

Tags
40 cal
16K views 75 replies 40 participants last post by  Yondering 
#1 ·
because it worked just fine in the G29, thanks for the tip :wavey:

The chamber was a little dirty but after shooting about 70 .40 cal rounds, I loaded up 7 rounds of full power 135gr Underwood 10mm and they still chambered and fired ok. Big difference in sound after shooting all those 40's. I think I woke everyone up on the firing line.

#4 ·
I don't have a Glock 20 but other folks have posted in this thread saying they have no problem with it.

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1442850

This will solve my problem of plinking ammo for the 10mm. Bought some .40 Federal 180gr at wal mart for $25 per box of 100. That's approaching 9mm prices. And I have a 23lb recoil spring but still had no problems other than it didn't seem to throw the brass very far, sort of fell on my shoe is more like it.

#7 ·
You have gone and done it now! Shooting Short and Weak in a 10mm Barrel :wow: ...SHAME on you! What where you thinking? :dunno:

#8 · (Edited)
Have at it. Not me! Good to know in a pinch, though.

#9 ·
Have at it. Not me! Good to know in a pinch, though.
This. 10mm headspaces on the case mouth, running a 40S&W case in a 10mm chamber means that the extractor is the only thing holding it in.

#11 ·
I found out something about this recently. I had a bunch of 40 brass that I wanted to decap with live primers (long story). I had my G20 onhand and loaded them from magazines one at a time.

Observations:

Because the cases "head space" on the extractor, many had very very light primer strikes. Some did not fire the first try. A heavier loaded round would likely be less susceptible.

Secondly, extractor abuse. On about 1 out of 5, the case would slip out of the extractor upon primer strike, and was forward inside the chamber. What this tells me is that a live round could slip past the extractor during the engagement of the striker. Upon ignition, the case would slam backward against the extractor and then the breach. It would be like single feeding a 10mm round into the chamber and then letting the slide slam home. You wouldn't know this just by shooting live rounds. Doable in a pinch, but seems a bit unecessarily abusive.

#12 ·
This. 10mm headspaces on the case mouth, running a 40S&W case in a 10mm chamber means that the extractor is the only thing holding it in.
Not true. The case mouth is only a limiting factor. Your 10's still space off the extractor, unless the case is long enough to hit both (about 1.002"). As the slide/breach picks up a round from the mag, it slides up the breach, and under the extractor. The case rim is (should) never be forward of the extractor. If it is, it won't fire.

#14 ·
I found out something about this recently. I had a bunch of 40 brass that I wanted to decap with live primers (long story). I had my G20 onhand and loaded them from magazines one at a time.

Observations:

Because the cases "head space" on the extractor, many had very very light primer strikes. Some did not fire the first try. A heavier loaded round would likely be less susceptible.

Secondly, extractor abuse. On about 1 out of 5, the case would slip out of the extractor upon primer strike, and was forward inside the chamber. What this tells me is that a live round could slip past the extractor during the engagement of the striker. Upon ignition, the case would slam backward against the extractor and then the breach. It would be like single feeding a 10mm round into the chamber and then letting the slide slam home. You wouldn't know this just by shooting live rounds. Doable in a pinch, but seems a bit unecessarily abusive.
I think you will find it different if you use loaded ammo. I have had none of those issues in 700 or more rds.

#15 ·
What would happen in the full size G20 barrel?
I shoot them all day in my G20. I don't think it matters, relatively. Just check your extractor and clean your chamber well...esp. b4 going to 10mm rnds. Also, I haven't heard anyone doing this in an auto other than a G20/G29, though. I can't speak for other platforms, personally.

#17 ·
You wouldn't know this just by shooting live rounds. Doable in a pinch, but seems a bit unecessarily abusive.
Exactly... 100%. Doable in a pinch, otherwise, do it right. That's my take on it.

#21 ·
I think you will find it different if you use loaded ammo. I have had none of those issues in 700 or more rds.
My point is that you wouldn't necessarily know if that was happening. It could very well be, but I hadn't considered that until seeing how the stricker popped the case out of the extractor in a significant number of instances. You could be right though. It is hard to know for sure.

#22 · (Edited)
I would wonder if I had come across the same results you had. Not arguing them, just wondering why the discrepancy exists. I can't get a round to skip past the extractor by hand, and haven't had light strikes; I can see a brass mark on the front of the extractor, but it doesn't look like the case is sliding back over it, more like it is bumping against it. I think I have over 200rds of .40 loaded long w/out any malfs, and the few I had before that (1/50) were due to a poor crimp.

I have only tried a couple of variations on the theme, and in an AM barrel, but haven't had any issues with what I have used. Just wondering why the primed cases worked differently,(I don't think I am having the problems you saw). On BE, one guy had all kinds of issues with light strikes and accuracy in a non-Glock, who knows why it worked in one gun but not another?

#25 ·
I shoot 9mm outta my 10mm and save alot more money than mosta u combined, so ha...
Careful what you suggest. Someone's gonna try it. (we're not ALL rocket scientists, ya know....)

I've had a few 9's go through my G22's. All were non-events. Just fired, FTE'd, cleared weapon, checked bore, and life goes on. They were actually fairly accurate. I DO NOT recommend anyone try this (intentionally, anyway).

#26 ·
Shot thousands of 40 through my 10's over the yrs. but I also have a few pics of guns blown apart from doing so.(not mine) so to each his own.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.