Who's the #@%&* who told me I could shoot .40s&w out of my 10mm bbl?

Discussion in 'The 10 Ring' started by G29SFWTF, Sep 18, 2012.

1. Taterhead

Taterhead Counting Beans

My point is that you wouldn't necessarily know if that was happening. It could very well be, but I hadn't considered that until seeing how the stricker popped the case out of the extractor in a significant number of instances. You could be right though. It is hard to know for sure.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. I would wonder if I had come across the same results you had. Not arguing them, just wondering why the discrepancy exists. I can't get a round to skip past the extractor by hand, and haven't had light strikes; I can see a brass mark on the front of the extractor, but it doesn't look like the case is sliding back over it, more like it is bumping against it. I think I have over 200rds of .40 loaded long w/out any malfs, and the few I had before that (1/50) were due to a poor crimp.

I have only tried a couple of variations on the theme, and in an AM barrel, but haven't had any issues with what I have used. Just wondering why the primed cases worked differently,(I don't think I am having the problems you saw). On BE, one guy had all kinds of issues with light strikes and accuracy in a non-Glock, who knows why it worked in one gun but not another?

#22 Any Cal., Sep 20, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2012
  3. I shoot 9mm outta my 10mm and save alot more money than mosta u combined, so ha...

4. _The_Shadow

_The_Shadow Ret. Fireman

I shoot 9x25Dillon from my 10mm, but I change barrels!

5. dm1906

dm1906 Retired SO

Careful what you suggest. Someone's gonna try it. (we're not ALL rocket scientists, ya know....)

I've had a few 9's go through my G22's. All were non-events. Just fired, FTE'd, cleared weapon, checked bore, and life goes on. They were actually fairly accurate. I DO NOT recommend anyone try this (intentionally, anyway).

6. Shot thousands of 40 through my 10's over the yrs. but I also have a few pics of guns blown apart from doing so.(not mine) so to each his own.

7. Opie 1 Kenopie

Opie 1 Kenopie Regular Guy

I shoot 12 gauge 00 Buck from my G20 so there! No way I'd fire sabot slugs though. That would just be stupid.
    :rofl:

#27 Opie 1 Kenopie, Sep 20, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2012
  8. Wolf Spyder

Wolf Spyder Gun Activist

I've been gone for a short minute... I have been hanging out over at M4Carbine.net lately.

All of that aside, some of us have been saying for years, it is possible to discharge .40S&W cartridges in a stock Glock 20 barrel, but is not recommended.

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread

and just a little farther down in that same thread...

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread

These links above are not the first time it has been said, but we always try to tell folks to be careful because it can be dangerous. Carry on.

[​IMG]

9. I could be wrong, but I'm not convinced this is what was happening for you. Maybe the force of the primer ignition was pushing the case forward past the extractor; this is much more likely that the striker itself pushing the case forward.

I have never experienced this with loaded ammo in the Glock. Not saying it can't happen, but empty primed cases don't tell the whole story.

Of course, maybe there's something wrong with your extractor. With a properly working extractor, a round should not be able to slip past it without ripping off part of the rim. Not going to happen from the striker impact.

Either way, if the round gets in front of the extractor in a Glock, it will not fire.

#29 Yondering, Sep 22, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2012
  10. Javelin

Javelin Got Glock?
    Silver Member

Why not just get a G22/G23 if you want to shoot 40S&W....

Or is that too obvious of an answer?

11. Cause they cost $500-600 and you can't shoot 10mm out of them.

I've shot .40 out of my G20 and it works fine but I don't do it on a regular basis. I reload so it's just as easy to reload 10mm as it is .40.

12. Taterhead

Taterhead Counting Beans

I appreciate the comments. My extractor is 100%. The whole thing was strange to me, and it was a bit of a chin scratcher. Brass was not ripped in any way either. I would buy that the primer ignition was the cause, but I found at least a couple of rounds forward of the extractor unfired with light primer strikes. I had about 300 rounds that I discharged, and I was surprised at the weird stuff I saw. :dunno: I do believe that with the inertia of heavier loaded ammo there could be different results.

13. You can do it, but I decided to play it safe and for under $120.00 I got a Lone Wolf .40 barrel to shoot cheaper .40 ammo.
    *Note*
    So far I usually just get the cheap 10mm ammo at the range and don't bother with the .40.

14. Not at all. Either that or just get a .40 conversion barrel.

I guess the only upswing of knowing you could fire .40 ammo out of a 10mm is as mentioned above by nicke10, if you are in a pinch. Take an extreme example...say I was on a hunting trip up in Alaska and stranded somewhere with no 10mm ammo, and the only thing I could scrounge up was some .40 I found in a cabin, it's good to know I could use the .40 ammo in my Glock 20.

#34 4949shooter, Sep 23, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2012
  15. Javelin

Javelin Got Glock?
    Silver Member

I like the idea. A 9mm will rattle it's way out of a G23 but just doesn't cycle the action... yeah I know that one first hand :faint:

But I'm still a little leery of purposely feeding .40 through a G20. I will stick with the .40 cal in my G22 & G23 and leave the 10mm to well... 10mm Haha.

:wavey:

16. LOL that must have been fun. :supergrin:

17. sheriff733

sheriff733 NRA LIFE MEMBER

The gun will fall asleep from sheer boredom.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

#38 Tablerock, Sep 23, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2012
  19. Javelin

Javelin Got Glock?
    Silver Member

It was 11 years ago and yeah it had a pucker factor to it. The casing completely heat fit to the chamber and it was a very odd looking round when it ejected. Kind of like a reverse top hat.

:rofl:

20. Opie 1 Kenopie

Opie 1 Kenopie Regular Guy

4949, that's a friggin' hilarious image. Stuck in a snowbound Alaskan cabin, nothin' but dried out biscuits, some hard deer jerky and... some loose .40 ammo lying around. I got a good chuckle outta that one. You might not be too far off the mark though, Alaska State Troopers carry the G22 so there's bound to be some Short & Weak lying around.