Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

Who's familiar with High Standard HD-Military 22's

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Faulkner, Dec 2, 2012.

1. Faulkner

Faulkner Patriot Millennium Member

Aug 21, 1999
    Arkansas Ozarks
    Who is familiar with Hi Standard H-D Military .22 LR pistols? Any fans or owners, or even detractors?

I have an opportunity to pick up a nice one but I don't know much about them. I've always like the looks and feel of them, and the Colt Woodsman too, but don't know much about the Hi Standard even though I have nearly a dozen semi auto .22 pistols.

I'd appreciate any feedback.

2. Batesmotel

Apr 5, 2007
    When I was in the Marines our armory had a couple of them marked Property U.S. Navy. Somehow we got them during the Korean War.

Anyway. They functioned perfectly, and were a pleasure to shoot. Very accurate with standard velocity or target ammo. They didn't like high velocity as much. I think it just made the action function too hard or fast.

3. countrygun

Mar 9, 2012
    I admirethem from afar. I know someone who collects them. They are ggreat but I would limit them to standard velocity ammo on general principles. They really had Colt and S&W behind the 8-ballin terms of variations and reputation. The Smith 41 is a classic, but it didn't have a lot of variations and Colt was pretty much in the same boat.

The very first "gun magazine" I bought with my lawn mowing money had a cover article on HS .22 autos. They were unaffordable new an I have never seen many of them in this area for sale used. I ran into one shop that had afew years ago with incredibly low prices, the only thing lower was my finances at the moment
  4. Faulkner

Faulkner Patriot Millennium Member

Aug 21, 1999
    Arkansas Ozarks
    Well, nice ones are not exactly a bargain these days either. I could almost buy a couple of used Ruger MKII's or Browning Buckmarks for what I'm paying for the Hi Standard, but they have not made any of this model in well over 60 years and nice ones are hard to come by. Even so, might as well buy one before the fiscal cliff and my money becomes worthless. :upeyes:
  5. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

Many fond experiences /memories from years ago.
    Miss that gun.

Sent from the toe of my jack boot using Tapatalk 2
  6. datatech2550

May 21, 2012
    I learned to shoot with an HD. The old gunny that tought me seemed to only take his Gold Cup NM and that Military HD seriously out of all the handguns he ever owned.

I've owned a couple over the years and foolishly traded them to friends. Still looking for a nice one for my kids to shoot.