close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Who's a RRA fan?

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by glock2740, Jan 31, 2011.

1. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

Jun 19, 2008
    NW Ark.
    Down to M&P or RRA. I've owned an M&PA before and liked it alot, but I've heard great stuff about the RRA AR's, but have never got to shoot one. Thouts? Pros and cons on either? Thanks.

2. Quigley

Quigley Elite Member

Mar 17, 2010
    Virginia
    I have a RRA complete lower with the 2-stage trigger. The trigger is amazing. I put a Stag upper on it for the chrome lined barrel and the whole set up shoots like a charm. Have put about 1000rounds through it without a single hiccup.

3. DustyJacket

DustyJacket Directiv 10-289

Oct 16, 2008
    Missouri, East of KC
    I had an RRA .308 and it was great. Shot sub-MOA with a scope. Only reason I traded it in was to go to a suppressed bolt-action form.

I still have my RRA 9mm AR pistol - a real hoot to shoot, and good quality.

4. RMTactical

RMTactical www.AR15pro.net CLM

Oct 7, 2000
    Behind an AR-15
    For target or varmint work, RRA is great.

Between the two that you mentioned, I would prefer the M&P15 though, more reliable.

5. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

Jun 19, 2008
    NW Ark.
    I just read some stuff about chrome lined barrels last night and the RRA I want doesn't have one. Hence the 1"MOA@100yds. But, the M&P does. They're making what is basically a 15A with a quad rail now. It's $69 more than the 15A, which is what my last quad rail cost, that I had on my 15A. Leaning towards the 15T, just for the full length rail and free floated barrel, but trying to justify the extra $300. It does come with flip up front and rear sights, which I like, so the extra money may be worth it.

6. volsbear

volsbear IWannaBeSedated Lifetime Member

Nov 8, 2007
    Illinois
    I have a Rock River Arms Pro-Series Government. It has run flawlessly. It does have a chrome lined barrel.

*I was at a range once and a Rock River rep was there (I live two hours from Rock River's location). Some guy asked him if he had to break in his barrel because he heard that was a requirement. The Rock River guy looked at this rifle and said, "Nope, it's chromed-lined. You're good to go." The looked a little surprise so the Rock River guy followed him with "Look, if you can trash my barrel. I'll GIVE YOU two complete rifles. I dare you to kill it."

Guy ran like 3,000 rounds through a brand new barrel as fast as he could. No luck.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
  7. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

Jun 19, 2008
    NW Ark.
    Some RRA's do have chrome lined barrels but some of their models don't.

8. volsbear

volsbear IWannaBeSedated Lifetime Member

Nov 8, 2007
    Illinois
    Yes... I know. You definitely want the chrome lined barrel.

9. Rinspeed

Rinspeed JAFO

Feb 28, 2001
    NY
    I'm not sure about the newer ones but my early RRA has been great.

10. TexanOutWest

TexanOutWest I'll Take Point

May 17, 2003
    East Texas
    I'm in the other boat here. I've got an RRA Tactical CAR A4 upper half and BCG on an Ameetec lower with an RRA NM 2-stage trigger. To date, my Ameetec parts have been flawless; however, it seems Ameetec got in some legal troubles for a patent issue and their website now leads to American Spirit Arms. I suppose in this day and age they believe that adding some level of patriotism to their corporate identity will help them sell product. Anyway, +1 for RRA based on my experience.

Tex

11. ijacek

ijacek

Jun 21, 2008
    FL
    I have had the Entry Tactical for the few years now and it has been 100% on duty, training, Basic SWAT School and 3-Gun week long class.

My SWAT team recently switched to the 10.5 inch suppressed, full auto RRA guns, and those have been very reliable as well.

That being said, between the two OP listed, RRA all the way... but then again I just bought a Colt 6920 and I like it a lot.

in the pic - TOP SWAT issued w/suppressor, EOtech and Surefire; BOTTOM - my Entry Tactical

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
  12. surf

surf

Jul 7, 2010
    The M&P will give you slightly better tested parts and build quality in some components. Their standard chrome lined barrels are a toss up, except RRA has varminter barrels. You need to understand the difference in a stainless barrel and chrome lined barrel and your needs. They are intended to serve different purposes.

If I were going to pick one in a standard chrme lined barrel I would go with the M&P no doubt.

13. UniversalBrow06

UniversalBrow06

Jun 19, 2007
    TN
    Interesting comments, I have long been a big fan of the old RRA 1911's and have wondered how the ARs stacked up against the competition. Seems like two different worlds entirely.

14. crazymoose

crazymoose Nonentity

Feb 9, 2005
    Definitely. Their 1911s were works of art. Their rifles are pretty good, but nowhere near the standout products that their pistols were.
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

15. ezterra

ezterra

Mar 2, 2005
    Eglin AFB, FL
    I've had my RRA Entry Tactical since 2004. I haven't kept track of rounds shot through it, but I would guess it's somewhere in the 8000 round range. It has been used for varmint hunting, tac rifle matches, and taking rifle classes. The only issue I had was during a rifle class. I wanted to test it's durability. So I didn't clean or lube it during the class. At the start of the second day, I had two FTE with the case stuck in the chamber. I swabbed out the chamber, lubed up the bolt and BCG, and I was good to go for the rest of the day.

I don't know if this was a failure inherent to the RRA or if any other gun would have suffered the same effects. I will say that the morning of the second day was in the low 40s. So I can see how the old lube got gummy when sitting in the cold.

Other than that, I am comfortable recommending a RRA. It has been running great and I haven't had any parts breakage. Just keep it lubed, which I would think goes for any AR.

16. 20South

20South

Nov 18, 2002
    East of CBUS
    I bought an RRA Entry Tactical a few years ago and it has been flawless. Its also my only AR so I cant compare it to anything, but mine has run and shot everything I have thrown at it.

To be fair, I only hunt paper and steel with it. One day do I plan on running it in a 3 gun.

17. nipperwolf

nipperwolf

Oct 3, 2002
    Where's the front sight?

18. 20South

20South

Nov 18, 2002
    East of CBUS
    Only RRA truly supports a hard chrome treatment...
    :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: