close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Who was Melchizedek?

Discussion in 'Religious Issues' started by achysklic, May 15, 2011.

1. achysklic

achysklic
    Expand Collapse

The identity of Melchisedek has been the subject of much debate over the centuries. Some have claimed he was a theophany, others a literal human being, an angel, the pre-incarnate Christ, Shem, and the list of speculation goes on.

I did a study on this and from what I gathered from scripture I am sure I now know who he was. I really learnt alot from this study.

I would like to know other imput on who they think he was?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Brasso

Brasso
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member

He was the Righteous King (Malchi Tzadok) of Salem (Shalom - Peace), the name of Jerusalem before it was known as Jerusalem. I haven't given a lot of time to who he was. I tend to think there was a good chance he was Shem.

You haven't told us who you think he was yet.

What I find more interesting is that Abraham broke bread and had wine with him.

If you want another interesting study, look at the meaning of Jerusalem.

#2 Brasso, May 15, 2011
    Last edited: May 15, 2011
  3. Vic Hays

Vic Hays
    Expand Collapse

Melchizedek's importance was because he had no recorded ancestry or lineage therefore he could be a type of Christ who has no beginning or end.

Hebrews 7:3 Without father, without mother, without descent, having neither beginning of days, nor end of life; but made like unto the Son of God:...................

He was not Christ because that section of Hebrews continues and speaks of Melchizedek's priesthood as being separate from the Levitical priesthood :

Hebrews 7:14-16 For it is evident that our Lord sprang out of Judah; of which tribe Moses spake nothing concerning the priesthood. And it is yet far more evident: for that after the similitude of Melchizedek there ariseth another priest, Who is made, not after the law of a carnal commandment, but after the power of an endless life.

#3 Vic Hays, May 15, 2011
    Last edited: May 15, 2011
  4. achysklic

achysklic
    Expand Collapse

After alot of study, I believe he was Jesus before he was made flesh. We knew him as the word or logos, in Abrams day they knew him as Melchizedek. There are verse that prove he could not have been a human therefore not Shem.

5. Vic Hays

Vic Hays
    Expand Collapse

It is probably that there is no recorded ancestry or descent that he is even mentioned by the writer of Hebrews. Abraham saw the pre existent Lord and recognized Him as such.

Genesis 18:1 And the Lord appeared unto him in the plains of Mamre: and he sat in the tent door in the heat of the day.

He prepared and offered food to Him and two others accompanying Him.

6. kjm1016

kjm1016
    Expand Collapse

Are you sure that Mel Chizedek wasn't Bob Chizedek's brother? :devildance:

refugeepj likes this.
  7. rgregoryb

rgregoryb
    Expand Collapse
    Sapere aude

I thought he played third base for the Yankees

refugeepj likes this.
  8. rgregoryb

rgregoryb
    Expand Collapse
    Sapere aude

he can be anybody you want him to be.....................apparently

9. k9patrol

k9patrol
    Expand Collapse

happy new year

#9 k9patrol, Dec 22, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2016
  10. Geko45

Geko45
    Expand Collapse
    Smartass Pilot
    CLM

An interesting character in the polytheistic christian mythos.

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk

11. k9patrol

k9patrol
    Expand Collapse

happy new year

#11 k9patrol, Dec 22, 2015
    LASTRESORT20 likes this.
  12. Lone Wolf8634

Lone Wolf8634
    Expand Collapse
    :):

Which was a good way to make the new mythology palatable to the pagans.......:whistling:

13. Geko45

Geko45
    Expand Collapse
    Smartass Pilot
    CLM

Let me see, yahweh, jesus, the holy ghost, satan as an anti-deity, michael, gabriel, a host of other angels and demons, even demigods in the form of giants, and now this melchizedek character... It certainly isn't monotheism, but it is definitely a complex mythology. You may only worship one of those deities, but your mythos contains many.

#13 Geko45, Dec 22, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2015
  14. Animal Mother

Animal Mother
    Expand Collapse
    Not Enough Gun

A late addition to scripture, possibly intended specifically to bolster the Trinitarian doctrine.

15. k9patrol

k9patrol
    Expand Collapse

happy new year

#15 k9patrol, Dec 23, 2015
  16. k9patrol

k9patrol
    Expand Collapse

happy new year

#16 k9patrol, Dec 23, 2015
    LASTRESORT20 likes this.
  17. Animal Mother

Animal Mother
    Expand Collapse
    Not Enough Gun

I didn't join my family 300 years after the other members.
    None before the 4th century.
    A weak argument. Notice that "was" and "with" also have caps.
    Do you really not see the inherent contradiction of requiring belief in God to understand the word of God that is supposed to support the existence of God?

18. k9patrol

k9patrol
    Expand Collapse

happy new year

#18 k9patrol, Dec 23, 2015
    LASTRESORT20 likes this.
  19. happyguy

happyguy
    Expand Collapse
    Man, I'm Pretty

Interesting discussion in spite of those who attempted to derail it for personal reasons.

Sorry I missed it.

Regards,
    Happyguy :)

refugeepj and LASTRESORT20 like this.
  20. Geko45

Geko45
    Expand Collapse
    Smartass Pilot
    CLM

Oh, I know, but I'm not making a mistake either. Until such time that everyone recognizes that these are fictional characters, I refuse to capitalize the names as if we were talking about real entities. We aren't really talking about real things, but rather representations of ideas. If it makes you feel better, I don't capitalize allah, brahma or vishnu either. I will sometimes capitalize Jesus when I'm talking about the man that died long ago as opposed to the mythological character of jesus in the bible.

And considering the structure of the sentence above, you are in no position to point out the grammar mistakes of others.

A distinction that may be important inside your mythos, but not to an outsider studying it. Many mythologies have major and minor deities of various levels of importance. Some are to be worshipped while others are mere helpers and messengers to the major deities. And many deities are created entities as well. For instance, zeus himself was a created entity.

You may only worship one of these deities, but your mythos is still polytheistic in that you believe in the existence of a multitude of supernatural beings. You're no more monotheistic than an ancient Athenian worshipping at the temple of athena. You've just selected the supernatural being you want to worship. Do you not admit that you believe that some have chosen to worship satan instead?

Ah yes, in your mythos satan and the others are all the same class of deity. Call them all devils, or demons, or even angels (for that is what they started as right?) Sorry, the complexities of your polytheistic mythos sometimes eludes me.

No, they would be equivalent to demigods like hercules or perseus. Half deity and half man. They were the result of the sons of god having relations with the daughters of men were they not?

Did you know that yours is not the only polytheistic mythos to have a three part godhead? In hinduism, god takes three forms as creator, nurturer, and destroyer. All the same being, but radically different forms for the three functions.

#20 Geko45, Dec 23, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2015