close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Who wants a GMail invite?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Jtemple, Dec 29, 2004.

1. Jtemple

Jtemple Geek

Jan 13, 2002
    NE
    Send me a PM with your email address - I have 15 invitations to give away.

2. Jtemple

Jtemple Geek

Jan 13, 2002
    NE

3. Paradigm

Paradigm `

Feb 17, 2003
    At the beginning invites were selling for $50 on eBay, now you can't give them away (literally ;f ).

I've got some too if anyone needs one after Jtemple runs out.

4. lomfs24

lomfs24

Apr 19, 2003
    Montana
    I haven't been to my GMail account for a while but I am sure I got a few too.

5. Jtemple

Jtemple Geek

Jan 13, 2002
    NE
  6. lomfs24

lomfs24

Apr 19, 2003
    Montana
  7. Jtemple

Jtemple Geek

Jan 13, 2002
    NE
    Sent! 12 left.

8. geoffinak

geoffinak

Feb 17, 2003
    Might want to read the TOS for using this mail, gets a little personal.
    Geoff

9. Paradigm

Paradigm `

Feb 17, 2003
    No more personal than any other e-mail service that has Spam Blockers.

There's no one reading your G-mail messages, just computers scanning for words so they know what type of advertising to provide for you. If you talk about watches in an e-mail you'll have watch ads on the side.

That's the same thing as the other e-mail services which have Spam Blockers, the computers search thru your e-mails for terms like "Vicidin, cheap drugs, male enhancement" etc.

10. geoffinak

geoffinak

Feb 17, 2003
    Your giving them rights to go a little deeper then just sending ad information, if your happy with that, cool.

Geoff

11. Paradigm

Paradigm `

Feb 17, 2003
    Maybe you can show this, please?

I'd really like to know all this secret stuff, I'd like to see how Gmail is different than 90% of every other e-mail service. I think the entire forum would enjoy hearing this, thanks!

12. Jtemple

Jtemple Geek

Jan 13, 2002
    NE
  13. Jtemple

Jtemple Geek

Jan 13, 2002
    NE
    I write software for a living. I have written spam blocking code in the past.

Yes, there are algorithms in GMail (and every other capable spam filter) that read your email.

Email is not a secure messaging system by any means. It doesn't matter if you have a spam blocker that reads your email or not. People that administer the email servers that you use, no matter what kind of email account you have, have full access to read your email, whether you like it or not.

If you really are that paranoid, don your tinfoil hat, and hand deliver every message you write. That's the only way to be certain that someone doesn't have access to your messsage. Unless, of course, the room is bugged where you deliver your message...

14. Jtemple

Jtemple Geek

Jan 13, 2002
    NE