close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Who recommends shooting just one of two calibers?

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by hambone80, Feb 26, 2013.

1. G23c

G23c

Jan 23, 2009
    houston, texas
    for me, its KISS+. most pistol is consolidated to .40, but I have a few pistols in .22, .25, 9mm and 45 ACP. most rifle is 7.62x39, with a few in .22 5.45, .223 and 7.62x54R. All shotgun at 12g.

2. PghJim

PghJim

Apr 21, 2005
    Pittsburgh
    I own just about every caliber in several platforms. I would go to a big gun store and handle all of the guns. Buy the one that gets your nipples hard. I like the Glock platform for 40/357sig over the XD because it is lighter to carry and more accurate. Be careful if buying a Glock 10mm or 45 ACP to be sure the grip fits your hands. Also, everyone should own at least one good 1911 in their lifetime.

3. rustytxrx

rustytxrx

Oct 17, 2012
    Texas
    With g20 and g21 with a few extra barrels you are covered from the 460 Rowland, 45 super, 45 acp, 10mm, 357 sig, 40 call, 40 super. This takes you from moose to bad guys. From hunting, plinking, IDPA competition.

For me these two guns cover the serious end of pistol shooting. I have 9mm sub compact and s&w 2" 5 shot for light dress summer carry.

I have had my g20 gen 2 since 1997. I have put several dozen pigs and cull does in the freeze.

I use p226 9mm for plinking at the ranch and a 5.7x28 FN for varmint control

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  4. punkglock

punkglock Freedom Lover

May 14, 2013
    Bluegrass Country
    Exactly this. I'd love to shoot every caliber, but stocking all that ammo is expensive, and complicates things if SHTF...I prefer a plentiful stash of a handful of common calibers...9mm, 45acp, 12ga, 5.56 for me.

5. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    I like variety too much to limit my calibers.

6. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    Same here...

7. plp

plp

Feb 11, 2013
    Redneck Riveria
    I'd recommend starting off with two calibers, for the new shooter. My first choice would be .22LR, as even at today's ridiculous prices it is still the cheapest round to shoot. Cheap is a big incentive to shoot a lot, and while putting lots of rounds downrange is no guarantee of increased accuracy, at least it is a guarantee of getting familiar with shooting.

The second caliber I'd recommend would be dictated by WHY the new shooter decided to arm themselves. For home defense, I'd suggest 12 or 20 gauge. For personal defense I might suggest .380, .357, .40 or .45 ACP, depending on the individual. If they were drawn to rifle target shooting, I'd suggest .17HMR or 5.56mm, for long distance rifle .308.

For someone new to all this such as myself I've found a lot of research is necessary, had 4 different .22LR rifles and pistols before I bought my first 9mm handgun. I already had a shotgun and 7MM rifle for hunting, although I hadn't fired more than 30 rounds through either in 20 years.

I shoot about 5 calibers regularly now, and am glad I first educated myself about how to get the right tool for the job at hand.

8. Brucev

Brucev

Jul 19, 2009
    Your single handgun simplifies ammo supply for you! Cool! Adding another pistol in other calibers will give you options, but it will also give you the problem of lack of supply.

Personally I shoot .38/.357 Mag. revolvers, .44 Special, .45 ACP as well as the ubiquitous .22 LR. Handloading allows me to keep my revolvers and pistols running without being at the mercy of the supply system. Alas, .22 LR is problematic.

I doubt that I'd opt for any marginal caliber such as the .357 Sig. The .40 S&W is in my area always available and has been throughout this recent period of panic. The same is true of 9mm, .45 ACP and .38/.357 Mag. But the prices have been painful and there have been limits on the amount one was allowed to purchase.

When things straighten out, 9mm and .45 ACP will be more available. I doubt that .357 Sig. will like .45 GAP ever be more than a boutique round, about like the .41 Mag., available ... somewhere.

9. unit1069

unit1069

Oct 10, 2007
    So. Central US
    I recommend shooting whatever calibers you need, like, and/or can afford; this hopefully is still America until the New Stalinists complete their coup. Better get whatever you need now as it may not be available later.

I have a Glock G-32 and would have conversion barrels for .40S&W and 9mm except I like .357sig so much that I decided to forego those options.

However, as previously mentioned, it's nearly impossible to find .357sig from any source currently so I have been sitting on my stash for some time. When I know I can replace whatever I shoot I'll resume going to the range with that pistol. The absence of ammo has also caused me to plan on buying a Glock G-23 barrel in due time just to have that option in case the shortage continues.

I would recommend having more than one pistol because machinery can and does break. Thankfully I have a great 9mm pistol to fill the primary CCW role with the G-32 in a secondary one. If either of the two CCW pistols is down for repairs the other is there to pick up the slack.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
  10. 390ish

390ish

Dec 6, 2004
    virginia
    I have shot a lot of different handguns over the years and have pretty much decided that the 38 special is where it is at -- casting and shooting 158 grain SWC makes for good practice and placement.

11. eb07

eb07 Sharkin'

Feb 19, 2010
    Third Rock From the Sun
  12. Darkangel1846

Darkangel1846

Jul 19, 2004
    Oregon
    Well I think you should keep the number of different cal. to a minimum. a .22, a CCW cal., (including BUG), Deep woods Cal.(hunting Cal.). Or you can do as I do and be cal specific for special occasions. Like during the hot summer I only carry a KelTec .380 in my shorts pocket, but a .45 in my back pack., In the woods a 10MM or .44 mag., winter CCW ,45 or 10MM. Spring or fall...9MM. If I'm riding a bike a 38P revolver(one handed gun). If I'm at the range a Glock 20 on my hip. Going to the night out resturant, a Walther 380:wavey:

Last edited: Jun 11, 2013
  13. I stick with one caliber, which makes buying ammunition much simpler. Currently I have pistols in 9mm and .40 S&W. I prefer .40 S&W and currently only shoot my pistols in that caliber.

This question also depends on what type of gun owner you are. If you are a shooter, stick to one main caliber. If you are a gun buyer that shoots once a month or a couple times a year, just buy whatever you want.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2013
  14. .40 S&W, .38 Special, 357 Mag, .30-06, 22LR. This is all I need.

Have had CZ-82 and a PA-63. Both were good guns but I didn't want to have to inventory another round with bullets, cases, etc.

KISS.

All the Best,
    D. White

15. Teej

Teej

Oct 16, 2008
    This is an interesting story but very true. A good friend of mine is an avid shooter. After he took a class to obtain a CCW permit to carry he started having dreams. I'm not going to say nightly, but as I recall him telling me over a certain period of time he had several very similar dreams.

In these dreams he was in some type of stressful self defense situation and at this actual time in his life he owned several handguns of different calibers.

I can't remember if he said it was the ammo or magazines, but he said in the dream he mixed up either the ammo or magazine to the wrong gun trying to reload. and like I stated he had this dream more than once.

So finally he became concerned about the dream so he sold his different caliber handguns and now has all the same caliber.

But to each his own.............

16. wesleysmith

wesleysmith New Guy

Feb 18, 2014
    Michigan
    I own a 27, 23 & a 35.... so if size is variety then yes, variety is the spice of life. I have a weird philosophy; if .40 is in fact the most difficult round to shoot (as people tend to complain a lot about the recoil) then it would stand to reason that becoming proficent in with this round would make everything else a walk in the park. So far this has stood the test of time. After an entire day training with my 27 I shot a 17 and it was like shooting a BB gun.

Of course I have my reasons (which I will not state as to avoid a caliber debate) aside from this personal philosophy of mine, it's more of just a short excuse to my friends for owning so many .40 s&w Glocks! (still on the prowl for a 24 just for the novelty :D)

17. cbird77

cbird77

Dec 20, 2012
    The Woodlands
    22 mag, 40 and 45 only here. I have an LCR but dont shoot it much. Pretty soon I will have 357 range wheel gun.

18. John Watson

John Watson

Feb 12, 2002
    Texas
    I like having all the regular calibers. I have almost all, except the .380 only because my CM9 is small enough to have taken the place of my P3AT in the pocket carry spot. I have a G27 and G29 on order at my local distributor as well as a OEM Glock 33 barrel. Never had a .357sig so I thought was time to get one.

I don't prepare for the end of the world with thousands of rounds of ammo. I do like having a variety to cover the possibility that shortages in one area will not hamper my ability to go armed. I keep enough on hand for short emergencies, but don't hoard.

19. SDGlock23

SDGlock23 Glockoholic

For my Glocks I like to keep it fairly simple, and I mainly shoot .40 and .45 but recently picked up (yet again) a 9mm G17, wasn't planning on it, but traded a XDm45 to it since I'm more into Glocks.

But I like to shoot everything, even though I try to choose my calibers based on practicality. Of course, not every gun I've ever bought had a solid practical value to it. I'm looking at adding a small 380 just to have something super small and concealable, not because I like the 380.

I'm also looking into picking up a .41 Magnum, probably a Blackhawk to go along with my Bisley BH .45 Colt. I don't really NEED the .41 Magnum, I just think it's an awesome cartridge and it's a caliber I've never owned before, so I'm kind of pumped about picking up a .41 Mag.