close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Who Polices The Police

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by StarfoxHowl, Jun 11, 2011.

1. StarfoxHowl

StarfoxHowl
    Expand Collapse

I saw this on Fox News. I was hoping that some of the LEO's will take a look at it and give me their opinion on it. (Other than for the obvious book plug that comes towards the middle)

http://video.foxbusiness.com/v/987443936001/who-polices-the-police/?playlist_id=89637

A couple of questions come to mind,

1. What's going on in New Jersey that's so bad that the DOJ is having to get involved? (News coverage is rather spotty out here.)

2. Why do some police officers have such a hard time with being filmed (i.e. Miami and other places)? Why should an officer feel the need to smash camera equipment and steal cell phones at gunpoint? (Again, the Miami Beech shooting incident)

Caveats: THIS IS NOT A COP BASH. I do not want this to become a cop bash. I have had very professional dealings with police officers and I've run into thugs with badges (including one of my co-workers when I was in law enforcement). I am happy to say that the latter was a very small percentage of my dealings with police.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. 4949shooter

4949shooter
    Expand Collapse
    1. The JBT's

He is just pushing his new book. Very disappointing.

The police DO police theselves through their own internal affairs.

The county district attorney offices also police the police, as well as the state attorney general offices.

Aside from that, the Federal government polices the police through consent decrees, which I believe is what he is talking about regarding Newark PD.

3. CincyLawman

CincyLawman
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member

Moderator please close this one from the beginning.

4. wprebeck

wprebeck
    Expand Collapse
    Got quacks?

People with CCW permits, who have undergone a much more thorough pro cess to gettheir "good guy" card, than what any JBT did to get hired.

Open carriers police the CCW folks, because...well, because open carry prevents things.
    :whistling::tongueout:

Hi,Russ. Hope this one isnt too much of a headache. :supergrin:

#4 wprebeck, Jun 11, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2011
  5. txleapd

txleapd
    Expand Collapse
    Hook 'Em Up

Everytime the OP has started/jump in a thread and said, "I'm not bashing cops", he has instigated a confrontation..... I agree with CL. Just shut it down before people get into it.

6. Dragoon44

Dragoon44
    Expand Collapse
    Unfair Facist
    Lifetime Member

Seriously, you are presenting the thoughts of a whack a doodle libertarian and are expecting serious consideration?

It's called politics, it has little or nothing to do with police work. It has more to do with squeaky wheel special interest groups getting catered to.

is there something besides one persons claims involved in this incident yet? As far as his phone being seized, I can believe that. if it recorded a shootout it just became evidence.

7. ateamer

ateamer
    Expand Collapse
    NRA4EVR

But they kept pulling the trigger until their Glocks just clicked! I know, cause my moms is the po-lice!

8. StarfoxHowl

StarfoxHowl
    Expand Collapse

AFN airs bits and pieces of the various news shows out here. I'm not familar with the man's politics.

Politics and special interest groups, I can understand that. Same stuff, different bucket, different day, same stink.

With regards to the cell phones at the Miami shooting, there was a published frame capture or snapshot of an officer demanding a person's cell phone AT GUN POINT.

To be fair, I have the advantage of distance and time in this. But this wouldn't be the first time that an officer or officers, have siezed or destroyed video equipment.

9. Dragoon44

Dragoon44
    Expand Collapse
    Unfair Facist
    Lifetime Member

My final thought on this video is if that is how this guy operated as Judge, (Making unsupported claims and jumping to conclusions without hearing both sides of the story then I am glad he is no longer a judge.

10. DaBigBR

DaBigBR
    Expand Collapse
    No Infidels!

There was a thread running recently on another forum I read where somebody had posted an article about Chicago PD arresting somebody for surreptitiously recording an officer. The thread devolved in to widespread bashing of CPD and law enforcement in general. One posted stated something about not trusting an officer he didn't know because: "How easy is it to tell if he'll beat me, lie on a report, fabricate evidence, or otherwise disrupt my life because he's having a bad day?" The thread was defended by a couple of real-deal CPD guys and other LE, but obviously there wasn't a lot of room to change any minds.

During that thread, links were posted to maybe a half dozen instances in the last few YEARS where a CPD officer was arrested. There are 13,000 officers on that particular agency. Let's say that 130 of them have been arrested in the last five years, which does not appear to be true, that's one percent. Extrapolate the data out using the UCR and you would find that there are 706,000 full time law enforcement officers in 14,000+ UCR reporting agencies. It would take 7,060 police officers getting arrested to make one percent. How long does this take to occur? How many of those arrests are for job-related misconduct? I don't know, but I do know that by-and-large law enforcement are being arrested in general and for job misconduct specifically at a substantially lower rate than the general population. The UCR reports 13,687,241 arrests last year with a population of roughly 290 Million. This makes an arrest to population ration of 0.0473, or 4.73%. This does not include the (likely thousands) of non-UCR reporting agencies.

So who polices the police? Generally, we do, and we do just fine.

11. redneck1861

redneck1861
    Expand Collapse

The bike officer was pointing his gun because the people with the phone failed to comply with a lawfull order multiple times. The suspect had been shooting at people, attempted to run over multiple officers. They dont know the intentions of the guy with the phone, he could have been with the suspect. The officers didnt really care about being filmed, they just didnt want a person standing right behind them pointing an object at them.

12. Panzergrenadier1979

Panzergrenadier1979
    Expand Collapse
    Keystone Cop

This should be a sticky in GNG.

13. StarfoxHowl

StarfoxHowl
    Expand Collapse

I will agree with Panzergrenadier1979, this should be a sticky.

Thank you for the stats.

But unfortunatly, when police misbehave, the chances of tramatic, life-altering or life ending results are greater than when some accountant misappropiates his employers money.

Example, two NJ police officers dangling a young man over the outside of a bridge threatening to drop him in order to force a confession of the man's involvement in a crime.

14. OldCurlyWolf

OldCurlyWolf
    Expand Collapse

I understand what he recorded being evidence and agree with that statement.

What I don't understand, if it was a truthful statement, would be an officer throwing the phone to the ground and stepping/stomping on it. That would be several felonies where I used to be a LEO. Starting with aggravated robbery under color of authority. 20 plus years there in one count.:faint:

15. Hack

Hack
    Expand Collapse
    Crazy CO
    Gold Member

Oh boy. With your avatar you say you are in the sand box, (basically). Al right, the police and other LE police the police. There you have it. We know that there are bad apples, and within our respective agencies there are attempts to weed them out. Capicé?

16. Patchman

Patchman
    Expand Collapse
    Florist

Would you say a driver who is drunk or doped up and gets behind the wheel of his/her car results in greater traumatic, life altering or life ending results than the said accountant?

Now which happens more often? LEO-gone-bad induced death or DWI fatalities? So when was the last time you decried against DWI drivers?

What do you say regarding those who legally purchased and owned guns and then one day uses the gun to kill his/her family, friends, neighbors, classmates or even complete strangers?

Now which happens more often? LEO-gone-bad induced death or legally owned gun owner ends up killing people? So when was the last time you decried against gun violence?

#16 Patchman, Jun 11, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2011
  17. redneck1861

redneck1861
    Expand Collapse

Everyone is jumping to conclusions, there is no proof that the officer smashed the phone. It sounds fishy, somehow the guy took the SD card out of the phone and put it in his mouth, right before the officer took and smashed his phone.

For the most part, we will always side with decisions an officer makes or his actions, unless it is proven that they were illegal or wrong. But with this incident there were 30+ uniformed officers, many civilians on the street, and all the people that were in the buildings watching. So all of the people that were there, only the people that alledged the crime saw it. Nobody else saw it. Unless there has been more video released, there was nothing showing the officer smash said phone

18. Dragoon44

Dragoon44
    Expand Collapse
    Unfair Facist
    Lifetime Member

Link?

19. Dragoon44

Dragoon44
    Expand Collapse
    Unfair Facist
    Lifetime Member

As you said, if the report is truthful.

One other aspect that I recall is the guy admitted that the police gave him a property receipt for the phone. Does that makes sense to you? That a cop would "destroy" the phone then take it and start the chain of custody ( for evidence) by giving the guy a receipt for the phone?

20. StarfoxHowl

StarfoxHowl
    Expand Collapse