close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Who needs a gun 30 minutes after buying it?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by dnuggett, Aug 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dnuggett

dnuggett PRO 2A

Feb 28, 2005
    DFW TX
    Since the last thread where this question was asked was closed due to some poor forum etiquette the question "Who needs a gun 30 minutes after buying it?" never got to be answered.

So I ask all of you...

Who wants their gun immediately after buying it? Who is ok with waiting a mandatory waiting period? What is your opinion of the merits of either scenario?

I know my answer to these questions but since I'm asking or more so repeating the question, I'll just shut up and listen. At least for a bit.

2. oldman11

oldman11

Mar 1, 2012
    Texas
    A long time ago I lived in Calif. and I think they had a 3 day waiting period then. It was mildly annoying, but nothing I couldn't live with. In other states I've lived in, they had the same waiting period but If you had a CCP or CHL then the waiting period was waived. The waiting period thing came about because the anti-gunners convinced everyone that a person might buy a gun and walk across the street to rob a bank, or kill someone. That only happens in movies and that's where their rationale comes from. Like most anti-gun laws, they don't prevent crime, they actually make it easier for the criminals when no one can protect themselves.

3. Trey83

Trey83

Feb 28, 2010
    I like instant gratification. The last few guns I've purchased came from internet sales so I had to wait on shipping.

4. ctfireman

ctfireman

Feb 13, 2010
    Bridgeport, CT
    I'm not familiar with all states but here in CT you leave with your gun within 15 minutes as long as you have a carry permit. Without a permit you can't purchase a handgun period but can buy a shotgun / rifle on a two week wait. It would be annoying to not leave with my new gun same day.

5. jbglock

jbglock

Aug 18, 2012
    You are really asking two questions.
    1. Who needs it immediately? In most states a domestic assault victim or sexual assault victim can apply for an emergency permit to purchase and carry concealed from their local sheriff's office. If approved I don't think they should have to wait.
    2. Who wants it immediately? I do for one. If I can legally buy it I shouldn't have to wait. I haven't read any of the responses yet so maybe someone can present me a compelling reason why I should have to wait.

6. Travclem

Travclem Badass Member Lifetime Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Lubbock, TX
    The only thing limiting how fast you get your gun in TX is how fast you can fill out a 4473. Wait periods are for the communists.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Last edited: Aug 22, 2012
  7. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
  8. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Amarillo, Tx
    As soon as I pay for my steaks, they're mine. Why should any other product be any different?

9. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

Jun 19, 2008
    NW Ark.
    bingo!!!

10. GAFinch

GAFinch

Feb 23, 2009
    Georgia
    I've inspected a gun I've bought immediately afterward in the car, taken it directly to the range, and had it wiped down, loaded, and put on my belt all before my lunch break ended.

11. dnuggett

dnuggett PRO 2A

Feb 28, 2005
    DFW TX
    I think I'm asking five questions. Who needs a gun in 30 minutes? Who wants a gun immediately? Who is ok with a mandatory waiting period? What are the merits of immediate? What are the merits of mandatory waiting?

Damn that's a lot of questions. Let's not get all academic up in here. Just pick and choose. :cool:

Last edited: Aug 22, 2012
  12. Hef

Hef Stop Obammunism

Sep 12, 2004
    Hilton Head, SC
    If I pay for my merchandise I have the expectation that I can and will take it home right then and there. On the topic of guns specifically, a waiting period is stupid and useless. If I intended to go shoot someone or go on some sort of
    crime spree, I already own more than enough guns and ammo to arm myself and several others, so not having my most recent purchase for a week or so isn't going to make any difference.

13. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Moderator Millennium Member Lifetime Member

Jan 16, 2001
    Buried in the X-files
    A car is far more lethal than a gun and you drive it off the lot the same day......

14. fendertele87

fendertele87

Apr 7, 2011
    In Texas; you buy it and it's yours. That's how I like it. :)

Bang! Bang! Pow! Pow!

15. JBnTX

JBnTX Texas

Aug 28, 2008
    Texas
    In Texas if you have a CHL, how quick you can get your gun is only limited by how fast you can fill out the form 4473.

I've been in and out with my new gun in less than 10 minutes.

16. simotek

simotek

Jul 29, 2012
    DC Area
    As soon as I pay for it. That's how it is in VA, and that's how I like it.

17. Berto

Berto woo woo

Sep 15, 2003
    WA
    It typically takes about 30min anyways; from the time I pick out the gun, to filling out the form, waiting for the call-in and response to actually walking out the door with it.

I'm cool with that.:whistling:

18. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Sep 4, 2009
    U.S.A.
    Homer Simpson: "Five days?! But I'm mad NOW."

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIpLd0WQKCY"]The Simpsons - Gun Shop - YouTube[/ame]

19. janice6

janice6 Silver Member

Apr 4, 2006
    minnesota
    This for me too! I don't have to wait days for my car, why my gun?

Who??? Homer simpson that's who!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.