close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Who makes the best bulk .22 lr ammo?

Discussion in 'Rimfire Forum' started by FightingTiger, Jan 13, 2011.

1. I picked up my first .22 lr rifle over the holidays, a ruger 10/22. I had a great time plinking around the back pasture, but I had about 1 FTF for about every 15 rounds I fired with the bulk Remington I bought. I would always eject the shell and check the rim, and there was always a solid firing pin indentation on the rim for the rounds that FTF. That same ammo was shot out of a Ruger pistol and a Savage rifle with similar results. I have since heard bad things about Remington's bulk ammo regarding both it's reliability and it's velocity. Who makes good full power, bulk .22lr ammo?

2. yfdcap

yfdcap

Jan 11, 2011
    Not sure there is any. Used to be Federal. Not so much anymore. It is still way better than Rem. I have been buying CCI 100 packs at Walmart. More money of coarse.

3. HAMMERHEAD

HAMMERHEAD

Dec 20, 2002
    Minnesota
    CCI Blazer by the brick.
    Maybe not the absolute cheapest, but it goes bang every time and has very respectable accuracy.

4. itstime

itstime

Apr 9, 2006
    USA
    The last bulk I bought was Federal and works well in my P22. That stuff is pretty old now though.

5. Porkchop

Porkchop Avtomat 1947

May 13, 2008
    Western N.C. Mountains
    federal champion 510's or CCI standard velocity

6. JimBianchi

JimBianchi Da Da CLM

Feb 15, 2006
    Las Vegas
    I have thousands of rounds of all the above plus Rem Lighting Bolts. For cheap accuracy the Lighting Bolts are best in my 10/22s and Buckmark.

Subsonics and match are by far the most accurate in all my guns, so I have a lot of those too.

7. ronin.45

ronin.45

Apr 24, 2008
    NE OHIO
    My Rugers all like Federal 550 packs. I tend to get fewer duds and squibs with this stuff as well.

8. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy
  9. alwaysshootin

alwaysshootin

Nov 14, 2005
    For the most part if it's bulk, it's crap. Some may be better than others, but even those change from lot, to lot. If you have a good shooting .22, and shooting at 25-50 yards, you are going to hit what you are shooting at. Tin can, nickle sized groups, squirrel head, can easily be done with any bulk ammo.

Personally, I have never had luck with any CCI offerings. My tightest groups have been achieved with Aquilla Subsonics, about $30 a brick of 500. FWIW, and I have never bought what I consider expensive 22 ammo. The subsonic Aquilla is what I hunt squirrel with, and with all my rifles, 5 shot groupings, all holes are touching at 50 yards.

10. Another Miller

Another Miller prankster

Apr 23, 2007
    Ohio
    I have had the best luck with winchester wildcats.I just found meijers carried them, 17 bucks a brick.

Last year, I went through a brick and a half of these and had no issues at all.I had some left over federals bulk and had a few strikes but failed to fire-they fired the second time through.

I wont use remigton,alot of duds that never fired even after reinsertig them into the magazine and running them back through.I had maybe 11% of the box,duds.

11. wct097

wct097

Jan 11, 2000
    VA
    My wife and I have been using the 333rnd Winchester bulk packs from Walmart at the range. Out of the last 700 or so rounds we've shot through my Ruger 22/45, I've had about 5 that were just duds. Had maybe 10 jams (not sure they were ammo related). The last 333rnd brick had a 2 rounds get jammed against the breach face (I tossed them), and one fail to fire.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 14, 2011
  12. deathpriest

deathpriest

Dec 12, 2004
    Florida
    CCI Mini Mags for me. Other than that, Winchester, the 555 pack.

13. mes228

mes228

Dec 23, 2006
    Virginia
    Federal Match Target in the 325 round box at Walmart for under $15. I've only fired it at 25 yards but my CZ 453 will literally shoot 5 rounds through a hole the size of a pea. I've not gotten around to the several bricks of high end target ammo (several brands such as Eley etc.) I've purchased. I saved those for an outdoor 50 & 100 yard shootout with the 4 rifles I've purchased. So I've only shot at 25 yards at the indoor range. Honestly, thus far I can't imagine anything shooting much better than the Fed. Match Target, especially with me shooting. I was amazed at the accuracy.

14. bluejackets92fs

bluejackets92fs I have bad aim

Oct 23, 2010
    SW Ohio
    This stuff is all my 10/22 would shoot. Remington thunderbolt was cause it to jam all the time. Hell, anything lead coated was bad. The Winchester is great from my experience.

15. pugman

pugman

May 16, 2003
    Wisconsin
    This.

I've shot thousands of rounds of CCI Mini-Mags..never a single problem

The Federal Automatch in the 325 count boxes...again never a problem

Remington's Golden Bullet...eh, like I some have said I've have it go bang, I've had boxes where it seems like 1 in 10 has some problem. I'm trying to shoot the rest of it up

16. GSSF17

GSSF17 ...2 of 'em

Jan 25, 2009
    Central FL
    I have said it in other threads. I love this stuff

[​IMG]

17. El_Ron1

El_Ron1 AAAAAAAAGHHH!!!

Apr 15, 2004
    Redneck Sparta
    Read the obits. Raid an old guy's old stash before the wife throws it away.

18. mac66

mac66 Huge Member Millennium Member

Oct 28, 1999
    Blue Planet
    For plinking I buy whatever is cheapest. I don't see any difference.