Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

Who makes a good springfield musket replica?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Diesel McBadass, Mar 8, 2013.

1. Diesel McBadass

Diesel McBadass Tactically Epic

Apr 15, 2011
    Dover NH
    Would like a replica of the spring fields used in the civil war, I love history and the rifle used by the forces of freedom to crush the south and liberate the slaves is full of history. Want something i could shoot and feel like i was beside chamberlain at little round top, who makes a good clone?
  2. Walter Bishop

Walter Bishop

Aug 5, 2012
    The best mass produced reproduction is probably the Pedersoli. The Armi Sport version is less expensive but not as nice. Neither model is the original specs. They have thicker barrels for safety reasons.

3. Fox

Fox Varmit Control

Nov 7, 2001
    Get the Dixie Gun Works printed catalog, it has a chapter in back with information about using muzzle loading firearms, there are instructions on making paper cartridges too.
  4. ilgunguygt

ilgunguygt Enslaved in IL

Crush the south and liberate the slaves? You ever wonder if the civil war was about slavery why it took lincolnso long to sign the emancipation proclamation? Because it wasnt about slavery, not at the beginning.
  5. pennlineman

Feb 16, 2009
    I have an Armi Sport and like it very much. They say it's thre closest to the original of any that are being offered at this time. Fun to shoot, especially with people who never shot black powder. Big holes!

The Pedersoli's are nicer, but a lot of reenactors use the Armi.

I've never done any serious work with it yet. I have both a 69 and 31 cal round ball mold and intend on trying some buck and ball loads this summer.

Just so you know...

The South also deployed and made good use of the 1842 Springfield.

If you are looking for a rifled musket you are probably thinking of the .58 caliber 1861 Springfield.
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2013
  6. gnepig

gnepig Remember

Oct 13, 2009
    The North didn't crush the South, took the North 4 years, 4 Generals and twice as many dead men to defeat the South... not exactly a crush. Was'nt really about slavery either, it was more about economics, you know like WMD's in Irak!?.. Yeah Right
  7. Ronaldo

Ronaldo Ancient Member Millennium Member

Nov 7, 1999
    Free Republic of Tejas
    Slavery didn't figure into the War of Northern Aggression until later, when Lincoln felt the initiative fading. Ironically, the Confederacy had already made plans to phase out slavery once the conflict was over. The Emancipation Proclamation was created and signed grudgingly.

Many current books on the subject have already begun the gentle restructuring of the truth in favor of political correctness...

8. attrapereves

Sep 11, 2011
    Interesting fact about the US Civil War. Although it was a very bloody war, most soldiers died from diseases spread by deplorable living conditions.