close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Who likes the stock sights?

Discussion in 'Sights, Optics and Lasers' started by Huge Grant, Mar 5, 2011.

1. All right, so I actually like the stock sights and shoot my G19 well with them. However, it seems like the majority here don't like them, and switch them right out the box. Why? Is it just because they don't glow and you can't see them at night? Or are upgraded sights really more accurate?

Forgive me, I am a noob and I just couldn't find enough info via search. (I think I just suck at searching this site) I'm really just trying to understand if I should upgrade my sights and if it will actually help. I don't have any friends who own Glocks so I have not shot one without stock sights. Can anyone explain to me why you do or don't shoot better with upgraded sights?

2. brigadeer

brigadeer

Mar 2, 2009

I would like to know this as well. Most people don't even shoot in the dark, so the night lights can't help them "shoot better". I am very curious as well, what is it that you like better about other sights than the Glock sights?

3. Mombo

Mombo

Feb 23, 2011
    To me, they are like those fake photographs that are in brand new picture frames......throw them in the trash after you purchase and put the real family photo in the frame!

4. P220forever

P220forever Paper slayer

Jan 30, 2011
    Northern Commiefornia
    I don't mind the Glock standard sights as long as they're metal and not the plastic ones.
    I prefer Von Stavenhagen or the Heinie Straight 8 sights but the Glocks are fine and I won't change them out. I can aquire a target much faster and get back on target quicker with these. I do not like 3 dot sights at all but haven't gotten around to replacing them on the one gun I own that has them.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2011
  5. jakebrake

jakebrake cracker

Jan 11, 2011
    too close to philly

i bought mine with nite sites on it. i like them, but, that's the type of sights i'm used to. 3 dots, and such. if she didn't have them, i would have learned to adjust.

6. Bruce M

Bruce M

Jan 3, 2010
    S FL
    I don't hate the Glock sights. I happen to like the TFO's better. If TFO's were priced like Leica scopes I would perfectly happy with the standard Glock sights.

7. cciman

cciman

Jan 19, 2009
    SW Ohio
    I like the stock ones, work great in most scenarios.

The issue is low light scenario. If you will never have one of those, then save your money.

8. eazyrhino

eazyrhino

Oct 29, 2006
    Louisville, KY
    I like the factory dot in the bucket design but don't like they are not made of steel. Nonetheless IMO. they are good, somewhat durable for plastic sights.

9. AK74play

AK74play

Jun 26, 2010
    Indiana
    I own 16 Glocks and all but 3 have the factory polymer sights. 5 of them (Long slides) have the factory adjustable sights and I love them. Many dis like for their own reasons and thats normal. Their not for everyone, but with 20 years of Glockin, I can not report even one single issue not to run the factory polymer sights except for personal taiste. I have 3 with night sights simply because of their intended purpose. I carry them all, Range them all, and shoot competition with most of them. If you personally prefer something else then thats what you should use but there certainly is nothing wrong with the factory polymer sights. :wavey:

10. I use the factory sights just fine. I even have a second set $5 worth as a backup if I drop my gun on the sights on a hard surface. Or if I pistol wip a badguy hard enough to ruin the sights(lol). As I posted before on another thread. Since my guns not electric I have no use for batteries on it. If I can point my finger at the bad guy in the dark I have no reason to own (glow in the dark $$$) night sights. My Glock 19's are natural pointers for me. Dosen't do you ANY good to be able to see the sights but not the badguy. They need to require badguys to have night lights installed on them. Flashlights on guns give your position away and broadcast that your coming. I can throw my flashlight away since it's not fastened to my gun. Don't want to throw a gun away in a fight, do we. I've carried on the job and off for over 25 years. Even used a gun twice to defend myself. Night sights do work real good on indoor ranges where the target is floodlighted and your gun is in subdued light. These are just my opinions and not the opinions of expensive gunsight makers..........Mike

11. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur Millennium Member CLM

Dec 17, 1998
    Minnesota
    But they do!

[​IMG]

12. JimmyB62

JimmyB62

Feb 21, 2007
    Seattle, WA (USA)
    I don't think anyone has really answered the question about WHY they don't like the plastic sights. For me:

They are plastic and easily dinged up and dented. You can get a very fuzzy sight picture if the edges of the sight are damaged.

The front sight is too wide and the rear notch too narrow. This makes a quick precise sight picture harder to obtain.

I don't like white anything on my rear sight. The white outline is the worst. This is just personal preference. I didn't like it on S&W revolvers either.

13. Glock 17L

Glock 17L *GLOCKAHOLIC*

Jan 19, 2004
    Louisville Kentucky
    I like the sight picture & have never had a plastic sight break off or cause any trouble..
    I really like red fiber optic front sights & have them on both my current Glocks..

[​IMG]

14. I'm not a big fan of the "dot in bucket" sights on my Gen4 but i'll admit they have grown on me since my purchase. Night sights are a coming soon upgrade. I heard somewhere that 80% of incidents involving a handgun occur at night or in low light, so night sights seem like a good investment to me

15. Butch

Dec 17, 1998
    Minnesota
    As you can probably see from all the replies made so far, sights are like holsters and underwear, everyone has their own preferences! :)

The ONLY possible thing 'wrong' with the Glock factory polymer sights is that they are not as durable as steel sights when you hit them against something. The good side of that is that they are cheap, fast, and easy to replace when needed.

Not too long ago, Glock redesigned their front polymer sight from the old pin/wedge retained style;
    [​IMG]

to a screw on type;
    [​IMG]

The new style is an improvement in two ways, one is that it is more secure, and the other is that it is about .01" more narrow than the old one, which a lot of people prefer.
    [​IMG]

I don't much care for three dot type sights, but find that the white dot front, and white outline rear of the Glock sights works great for me!

Sights don't make guns more accurate, but they might make it easier for a given person to shoot a gun more accurately because everyone has differing vision capabilities and different preferences.

Most of my Glocks still have the original factory sights on them, my carry guns have a night sight on the front with a Glock poly on the rear, but I just recently installed the factory steel rear on my G38.

Don't let anyone talk you out of using the polymer sights if you like them, they work just fine as long as you aren't in the habit of knocking them against things.

16. Butch

Dec 17, 1998
    Minnesota
    Well, the front sight *was* a touch too wide.....OR....the rear is too narrow, but not both. :) And they fixed that with the newer screw on front sight.

That would be a contradiction. Sights that have more space between the front blade and the rear notch are faster to align, but they are less precise as they give more room for error.

17. Twoglocks

Twoglocks

Jan 30, 2011

With 3 dots when shooting fast in dim condition I will put the front dot to the right of the rear sight, that's why I have the rear dots blackened

18. brigadeer

brigadeer

Mar 2, 2009

Wow, those front fiber optic sites are awesome! Do you mind telling me what brand those are or where you got them? Also, were you able to install them yourself, or did you need to take your gun to a Glock Armorer to have them installed?