close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Who here plays golf? Do you grip the club like the pros?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by wrx04, Apr 18, 2012.

1. wrx04

wrx04

If you golf, do you interlock your fingers like you are supposed to? Im not good, but i shoot in the low to mid 80's and i grip the club like a baseball bat. I overlap my thumbs straight down the shaft, but dont interlock my pinky and index fingers. It feels like the club is gonna fly out of my hands everytime i try it!:shocked:

Im thinking about takings a few lessons to try to get used to the *proper* grip. Did any of you make the switch after golfing the wrong way for several years? How long did it take to feel comfortable?

2. PuroMexicano

PuroMexicano VIVA MEXICO !!!

Why fix something that doesn't need fixing?
    How long have you been playing?

3. deputy tom

deputy tom

I grip like a Pro and still suck at Golf.YMMV.tom.:embarassed:

4. coastal4974

coastal4974

I'd say you were pretty damn good if you hit the low 80s without any lessons. That is for 18 right? :supergrin:

I took lessons straight out and interlocking is the way I play a game that somewhat resembles golf.

5. wrx04

wrx04

Ive been playing about 9 years. The last two years ive played a total of 10 times. Im looking to get back into it, and maybe joining a country club.

I ask because my game plateaued (sp?). I cant break 80! I cant shape shots well either. I can play a slight draw if i need too, but other than that, i get minimal spin. I think if i grip the club properly, it might allow me to shape the ball flight, trajectory, back spin, etc... There has to be a reason why all the pros do it that way.

Im looking to try to take my game to the next level. Since ive taken a break for the past couple years, im gonna be rusty no matter what. I was thinking of switching the grip now, and practice till i get it to work.......it just seems awkward as hell to me:dunno:

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  6. wrx04

wrx04

No lessons and that is for 18. I played quite a bit during college though....$300 for unlimited play at the university's course.

But let me tell you, i have had a few 9 hole rounds that were not too far from that number:supergrin::shakehead:

7. JBG30

JBG30

There is such a thing as an overlap grip which I use. I did use the interlock when I first started playing but I was getting blisters on my pinky. The overlap isn't a baseball bat grip though, and a ten finger grip (baseball) isn't really wrong.

http://www.golfgriptips.co.uk/golf-grip.html

8. czsmithGT

czsmithGT

Most pros and golfers in general do not interlock. A long time ago this may have been the fashion but not for the past 50 years.

Jack Nicklaus is a famous exception because he has small hands and finds interlocking grip more to his liking.

Almost all pros overlap the pinky of the bottom hand over the index finger of the top hand (except for putting).

The baseball grip is not at all popular among men pros, although a few do use it, but I think quite a few of the lady LPGA players use it. Again I think it is a matter of hand size but most pros find their hands work better as a unit if they overlap.

9. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

I hold the big fat part and try to hit the ball with the stick end. I play about the same either way.

10. Never Nervous

Never Nervous

The grip you use depends on your body type. I'm going to generalize here, but, people with small hands (Jack Nicklaus) tend to use the interlocking grip. People with large hands and most pros use the overlapping grip. Most beginners use the baseball or 10 finger grip. The grip takes the longest to get comfortable with when making a change in your golf game.

I would suggest you take a short club (Pitching or Sand wedge) and work on gripping the club while watching TV or listening to music to get familiar with the new feel. Most golf stores sell a training grip that will help with the change also.

Golf lessons will save a lot of trial and error and correct other flaws you may not be aware of. Good luck with your game.

NN

11. PuroMexicano

PuroMexicano VIVA MEXICO !!!

Your grip won't make you break 80, your short game will

I know a few 70+ yr old people that shoot their age constantly and their swings and grips are far from a pro's.

Their secret is from 100 yards in.

12. Goldendog Redux

Goldendog Redux Shut your mouth

I went from interlocking to the overlap one day on the range. First swing I flushed one. I have never used the interlocking grip since.

MF

13. 4GLOCKER

4GLOCKER

I've used the Vardon grip for over fifty years, it will give you better feel & wrist rotation. Sam Snead said to hold it like you would a bird in your hand, not to tight.

Jack Nicklaus used the interlock grip, what did he ever win?

14. jastroud

jastroud

Tiger also uses the interlocking grip. I did when I first started playing. I have always had a good, natural swing. One of my dad's playing buddies suggested I try the overlap, and I did. At one point I was down to a 4 (playing almost every day). The overlap is just natural now and I couldn't go back to interlocking if I tried.

15. Happypuppy

Happypuppy

The grip is pretty much dictated by comfort control. Smaller hands do well with baseball or interlaced. overlap is mostly to prevent the dominate hand from over powering the stroke. My whole family played and the kids I started with baseball to interlock than overlap. My daughter stayed with the interlock, not a bad choice Worked for Woods and Jack

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

16. Johnspark

Johnspark Grumpy Fish

Interlock...just learned that way. Golf is fun, mostly.

17. Ender

Ender ComfortablyNumb

I grip it like my golf instructor guy said to. I used to hit 9 or 10 on every hole, then I decided to take some lessons.

Two lessons in, I was hitting 6 on most holes, and still hitting 9 or 10 on some. 4 lessons (a total of $160 later), and am I loving the game.

Went out for my first time this year and only hit 8 on one hole. Didn't make any pars, but hit a fair amount of bogeys.

I guess....if you're happy with what you're hitting (and 80's are damn fine), stick with what you're doing. If you're always striving to be better, pony up for a few lessons. When you're paying at least $30 to hit 18, and often times paying MUCH more than that, a few 30 minute lessons for $50 each will pay for itself in your enjoyment and results in no time.

18. Al Czervik

Al Czervik

Well, sir, you have company.

:wavey:

But, I do have a golf bag with a radio and a beer tap.
    Hey, that kangaroo just took my ball.

19. FullClip

FullClip NRA Benefactor CLM

I use the interlock and can weak use a weaker or stronger grip to help shape shots....well..sometimes. I developed a bad duck hook last year that drove me crazy until this spring, when I figured out that I was regripping my club at the top of the back swing and closing the face of the club.

But if you're shooting in the low 80's...I wouldn't worry too much about it. No sense changing horses in mid-stream, and making changes in the swing unless you're real serious about the game and can practise a LOT, may make the wheels fall off altogether.

20. czsmithGT

czsmithGT

Yep, forgot about Tiger. I also started with the interlock. Now I use an overlap or even sometimes a double overlap just to get my right hand out of the swing.