close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Who here all uses Circle Hooks when fishing bait?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by A_Swede_17_1911, Apr 29, 2005.

1. I've been using Circle hooks for catfish, I like the way they hook solid in the corner of the mouth. I have noticed that your better off using a stiffer rod than a softer one, to get more hook ups. The reason I say this is I seem to get more hook ups using my Berkley Big Game Rod that is a MedHvy action, but seems to have a stiffer taper to it. While my Berkley Reflex is a medium action but with a softer action to it. Its awsome for lobing live bait with and I really like it but I seem to miss more fish with the circle hooks using it. So I end up fishing a more traditonal hook with that rod.

I end up doing more catch and release fishing even for catfish than anything. Just curious to see what other people use. Oh the sizes I use are usally from #1's to #4/0 circle hooks depending were im fishing and what im using for bait.

Sharp hooks and tight lines

2. I too used the circle hooks on ocassion. If you don't go with a stiffer action try a heavier line weight to eliminate some of the stretch ( but you will have less line sensitivity ). The circle hooks do require more setting force but you will not loose a fish once hooked. ;)

But... if you are not catching to release, any plain mustard or japan style hooks is the way to go.

3. KodiakG-22C

KodiakG-22C

Jan 6, 2005
    Michigan
    I use circle hooks all time when I "Wacky Rig" Senko type baits for bass fishing. I love them!
    In fact I dont set the hook hard at all. All I do is apply pressure to the fish and the hook digs right in. I use a 1/0-2/0 Gamakatsu Octopus.

Up in Michigan more and more people are going to this type of hook for Bass. It has a smaller profile and you dont lose as many fish!

Good Luck

4. alphacat

alphacat account deleted

Jul 16, 2003
    Catfish, Catfish, man the local paper had a great item last Sunday about this local guy and his wife, and it sure makes me want to go fishing for them big old cats. It's been a long time sinse I've been fishing maybe this is the summer for me to start back fishing.

He talks about circle hooks on his website.

http://hookedoncatfish.com

Fish On!