Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Connect with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Read up on the latest product reviews
  • Make new friends to go shooting with!
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

Glock Talk is the #1 site to discuss the world’s most popular pistol, chat about firearms, accessories and more.

Who has carried a baby Glock & a shield

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by JerryVO, Jan 27, 2013.

1. JerryVO

Oct 22, 2008
    Tampa, FL
    I think I want something slimmer than my g27 to carry IWB especially when I am in dress pants and I think that something is a shield. I have held one on my hands and read the specs but in you real world experiences does the shield feel that much thinner IWB or is the reduction in thickness not that noticeable.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
  2. Beanie-Bean

Apr 23, 2011
    Central Texas
    I own and carry both which you've mentioned. I actually prefer the Springfield Armory XD-S over the Shield, because:

1. The XD-S is a .45ACP, and will soon be available in 9x19.

2. The trigger feels more "Glock-like" to me.

3. Really, it's just my personal preference. The XD-S doesn't bother me as much during the hot weather, when I'm carrying IWB with a t-shirt and shorts. I do notice the Shield...If I had to choose between all of the three I've mentioned, I'd still go with the Glock.

XD-S in Comp-Tac MTAC:

Shield 9 in Comp-Tac MTAC, w/Spyderco Military:

Glock G27 Gen4/ S&W Shield 9 / SIG Sauer P238HD:

3. 1gewehr

Mar 22, 2006
    Mid TN
    Never all three at the same time, I don't believe. But I have carried a baby, a Glock, and a shield.
    The Baby is well-nigh useless for self-defense, and is quite a liability as the shrieks give away your position, and squirming requires both hands to control.
    The Glock works pretty well. No real drawbacks except my personal preference is for a CZ75.
    A shield requires you to be very close to deliver any attacks. And many shields are not very good at stopping bullets. A shield heavy enough to stop bullets is pretty unwieldy.
  4. mist

Aug 15, 2010
    I have a Gen4 G26 and a Shield 9. The Shield is indeed slimmer and only very slightly lighter when both are fully loaded with 124 grain +P Speer GDHP. In carrying both AIWB, I don't notice much difference at all.
  5. themighty9mm

Sep 19, 2008
    Lol :rofl:
  6. Bruce M

Bruce M

Jan 3, 2010
    S FL
    To me the Shield is noticeably thinner than the G26.
  7. You may want to take a look at the Raven Concealment Vanguard 2. Whole not a good range-holster, it functions quite well for street carry. And doesn't add bulk typical holsters bring to the table.

Instead of a smaller gun. Get a smaller holster. Just a different way around to the barn door.

8. unit1069

Oct 10, 2007
    So. Central US
    I agree, and I never bought a Baby Glock because I don't like having to curl my pinkie underneath the grip. The Shield grip extends exactly to the bottom of my ring finger, just as the great 10-round Steyr S9-A1 does. The Steyr, however, is heavier than either the Baby G or the Shield. Right now it's impossible to find a Shield in my area.
  9. Slingnasty

Jan 13, 2013
    Any time you Compare a GLock with similar weapons Glock is often the best choice.
    And that being said if your holster is to bulky you can always install a clip on the slide eliminating the need for holster all together.

Just a thought.
  10. gocubs6

Aug 16, 2010
    Hope the trigger is covered or might have a second butthole soon. :rofl:
  11. eddy t

eddy t

Feb 12, 2010
    i've carried both iwb appendix and the shield definitely feels more comfortable to me.
  12. byf43

byf43 NRA Life Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Southern Maryland

I own both the G26 Gen4 and the Shield in .40.

The Shield is thinner. Noticeably so, especially when carried IWB.

I do NOT recommend carrying a pistol (or revolver) IWB and not in a holster.
    "They" get away with it in the movies. . . . because it's the MOVIES!!!!
  13. JerryVO

Oct 22, 2008
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks for all of the feedback. I am not going to disparage someone elses carry method but no way in hell would I carry using clipdraw. Especially not a glock. The shield is sounding better and better.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
  14. JBUS

JBUS I'mHellaJelly!

Jun 28, 2011
    Owned and carried AIWB a Shield 9.

Own and carry either a Gen4 19 or a 36. Always AIWB in a Vanguard 2.

I really wanted to like the Shield. It shot well and carried well but more often than not, I left the Shield at home and opted for the 19 or 36.

Sold the Shield. Instead of the usual anxiety I have gotten from selling a gun, I felt relief.
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  15. sgt rock

sgt rock

May 9, 2002

Confidence and trust in a firearm make it hard to switch.