Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

Who doesn't have a 1911?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Mercedesrover, Feb 20, 2012.

1. Mercedesrover

Jan 26, 2008
    I've got lots of handguns. Autos, single stack, double stack, revolvers, single action, double action, etc. Not sure but I probably have 30 handguns. Love them all. Some go through my carry rotation, some are just range guns, some are just there.

But I don't have a 1911. Don't have a .45 for that matter. I really like the GSG 1911 and think having one and a good .45 are a perfect pair....Just never got around to buying them. I have a couple of Sig P6s and a Mosquito which is almost the exact size and controls, so a good practice gun, but I never did the same with a .45. I know I should, but I haven't.

Question is, can a handgun collection be respectful and adequate without a 1911? Who has an extensive handgun collection but doesn't have a 1911 in it?
  2. 12131

12131 Monkeyboy CLM

Nov 17, 2006
    God's Country (Texas)
    Question is, why not? :dunno: Whoever telling you otherwise is full of it.
    Yes, I have 3 1911s.

3. Bruce M

Bruce M

Jan 3, 2010
    S FL
    If nothing else, it may be interesting to compare the trigger of a 1911 to other pistols.
  4. carbuncle

carbuncle is not cool.

May 27, 2006
    Nashua, NH
    I don't have a 1911 and I've only shot them a couple of times. I've got a slot for one on my short list, either the SR1911 or the Remington R1, but in order of priority the 1911 is pretty much last. Cool guns, just not a priority for me.
  5. I have 9 handguns, and I only added a 1911 to the stables a couple weeks ago.
    I may pick up one or two more eventually, but I don't see what all the fuss is about.
  6. Metal Angel

Metal Angel

Oct 20, 2010
    I don't have one either... No practical application for it IMO... The plan is to get three more Glocks to complete my "tactical" handgun collection, then I will get a couple revolvers and a 1911... But for no other reason than to plink at the range with... When I get one, it will be a nice one, and it will never see a holster.
  7. MoneyMaker

Feb 16, 2009
    I have had many of them,STI,Kimber,Springfield,Colt,S&W,RockIsland,Very nice gun but only thing i did hate was the sharp straight angle on the backstrap,it always cut into my hand(palm)during any real range time,Just never kept them long enough to have the backstrap reshaped.
  8. Kikon

Kikon Apprentice

Jan 21, 2012
    Santiago, Chile
    Here in Chile, I can only have a maximum of 8 guns. 6 as Sport guns and 2 for self defense (average citizen here can only have 2 for self defense). I own 4 sport registered guns, and a 5th is coming my way (SIG 522 .22LR Classic), and maybe soon I'll be buying a Taurus 82 SS4 .38 SPL revolver, so I'm very close to my limit.

In the future I would love to have a 1911A1 S70 Government though, but most likely I will have to import one (VERY expensive!!!), as it seems .45ACP is not very popular here.
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  9. Wishoot

Aug 13, 2010
    I do not have a 1911 in my little collection. Yet.
  10. I don't have one either and i also see no real need for me to have one.I have handled them and i just don't care for them,but that is just my opinion.
  11. jim65809

Jul 15, 2011
    SW MO
    I don't have a 1911 yet. Been on my short list for quite awhile. I have 3 revolers (.22, .38, .357) and a few semi-auto ( S&W .22, Ruger .380, XDM .9 , .40, and .45). I would like to add a 1911 to my meager collection. I have an opportunity to get first look at an estate sale that is supposed to have a lot of toys. Can't wait.
  12. bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    In order to have a well rounded handgun collection, you need at least one 1911.

...just my opinion, of course :)
  13. Cambo

Jun 19, 2006
    I have rented and borrowed many a 1911 and I just can't warm up to them. I shoot them okay, but I am not a fan of .45 acp ammo prices and I don't like low capacity pistols.
  14. I'm not much of a 1911 fan. Historically interesting, but I think something like Glock is a better choice for a gun to actually shoot.

And I'm also not a fan of the way the grip safety feels on them.

I bought a Taurus 1911 aluminum rail, because it was the only 1911 that has felt really good in my hands. Most would say the Taurus is the worst example, but to me it had all the features to have the right feel.

Some would say I still don't have a 1911 :)
  15. HKLovingIT

HKLovingIT Resident Evil

Aug 20, 2010
    Out On The Tiles
    That used to be me until a few months ago. I purchased an ATI Commander size 1911. Get one.
    It is really just a lot of fun to shoot.

Certainly your collection can be respectful and adequate without one. It's your moola and likes, but I recommend you get one. Wished I would have gotten one sooner now, but I'd be a lot poorer for buying ammo. A 1911 is a pretty darned American firearm to own. Even if mine was made in the Philippines. :whistling:
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  16. I've shot a couple, and like them, but I don't have one. I just can't justify what they sell for/people pay.
  17. HKLovingIT

HKLovingIT Resident Evil

Aug 20, 2010
    Out On The Tiles
    Mine was strictly for range fun so I got a Philippine import for $430. From what I've learned they aren't junkers either. It's no Baer, Brown or Wesson, but we like it.

Running like a champ.
  18. jwhite75

jwhite75 Gubmint Worker

Jan 6, 2009
    Dub V
    I have 5 handguns,,,a 1911 is next.
  19. Is there a reason a person can only have eight guns in Chilli? I can only think that it has to do with the straw purchase if they are trying to keep guns restricted to certain individuals.
  20. jrs93accord

Jul 10, 2005
    Pensacola, FL
    To me, and a few others here, no collection is complete without at least one 1911 in it. Of the 176 firearms in my collection, 123 of them are pistols. Of those, 81 are 1911s, two of which are 9mm. I have a total of 88 .45ACP pistols.

No 1911s in a collection? Get on the stick. Make JMB a happy man.