Glock Talk banner

Whitetail Sidearm

15K views 118 replies 37 participants last post by  SCmasterblaster 
#1 ·
A Glock 17 or a Glock 23? Either would accompany my .30-06. Maybe use it if I was presented a shot under 20 yards.

#3 ·
I would carry the G17. People killed alot of deer with calibers that we consider pretty anemic today. Inside of twenty yards a double lung shot with either is game over.

I carry a pistol when I hunt for protection against two legged predators. You never know who could be using your property for a meth lab or outdoor grow. A scope rifle is far from ideal up close and personal.

I dont know who started the rumor that deer were armored. They are not hard to kill.

#6 ·
On a range I'm capable of making hits consistently out to 50 yds with either, but that's too far when you're nerves and adrenaline are jacked up. 20-25 is the max. I'm kind of leaning towards a 124 gr bonded +P round, either PDX1, Speer GD, or Underwood GD.

The .40 in a 165 bonded or 180 HST/XTP isn't out of the question.

The double lung was what I was going to aim for.

#7 ·
The point is not IF you can do it, but whether you can do it consistently & humanely. Hunting is a sport, not a game. It is the hunter's obligation to kill the animal in question as humanely and quickly as possible as the animal is entitled to a noble death.
I agree with you in principle, but there is no such thing as a noble death. Death is death. Bleeding, squealing, kicking. Taking bad shots and causing a slow, agonizing death is one thing, but there is no such thing as a noble death.

#10 ·
Depends on your state I guess. In many states a 9mm is not allowed for deer hunting. not sure .40 would be either. here in VA, we are allowed to use anything bigger than a .22, but when I lived in ND, we could not use anything smaller than .357, but now it has changed there to be anything bigger than .35 caliber so 9mm would be ok.

Anyway, double check your regulations, don't want to get in trouble with johnny law out in the woods.
Have Fun!

#11 ·
Depends on your state I guess. In many states a 9mm is not allowed for deer hunting. not sure .40 would be either. here in VA, we are allowed to use anything bigger than a .22, but when I lived in ND, we could not use anything smaller than .357, but now it has changed there to be anything bigger than .35 caliber so 9mm would be ok.

Anyway, double check your regulations, don't want to get in trouble with johnny law out in the woods.
Have Fun!
Centerfire 22 or larger

#14 ·
Given only those 2 choices, the g23 with 180 gr bullets would be my pick.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

#22 ·
I remember my first deer hunt in VT. A giant buck ran across the road in front of our car. By the time we stopped and got out of the car with our handguns, the buck was on the other side of a bare farm field standing there looking at us. I had my .44 Magnum out and on target, but I didn't shoot as the range was well over 100 yards. We never saw another deer like that for 10 years.

#23 ·
I remember my first deer hunt in VT. A giant buck ran across the road in front of our car. By the time we stopped and got out of the car with our handguns, the buck was on the other side of a bare farm field standing there looking at us. I had my .44 Magnum out and on target, but I didn't shoot as the range was well over 100 yards. We never saw another deer like that for 10 years.
Regardless, you did the right thing. As a hunter I found it my duty to make sure any kill was quick and humane. Any shots outside of my abilities had to be passed.

I have since given up hunting, I now prefer to just watch wildlife. However, I realize and respect that others choose to hunt and have absolutely no objection to hunting.

Upland bird hunting was always my favorite, I'd do that again if given a chance to hunt in a place with decent pheasant numbers.

#24 · (Edited)
Regardless, you did the right thing. As a hunter I found it my duty to make sure any kill was quick and humane. Any shots outside of my abilities had to be passed.

I have since given up hunting, I now prefer to just watch wildlife. However, I realize and respect that others choose to hunt and have absolutely no objection to hunting.

Upland bird hunting was always my favorite, I'd do that again if given a chance to hunt in a place with decent pheasant numbers.
My hunting friends thought that I should have taken the shot . . . . :upeyes:

#25 ·
I'm not big on service calibers for any large game animal. Consider they are marhginal for stopping a 200# man, It's not agood choice for those that take hunting seriously. If you want a 25yd handgun shot, start toting a 41 or 44mag.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.