close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Whitetail Sidearm

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by Yankee2718, Sep 30, 2012.

1. Kingarthurhk

Kingarthurhk Isaiah 53:4-9

Sep 5, 2010
    Texas
    Just like hunting a large game animal with a 9mm is normal?:upeyes:

2. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster Millennium Member

Sep 24, 1999
    Hartford, Vermont
    Who said that? I suggested the 9mm for a finishing shot on a downed but still alive deer.

3. Yankee2718

Yankee2718

Nov 23, 2010
    America
    The entire point of this thread is not to use the 9mm as a primary firearm, but as a short range weapon. The ranges were stated early on. The 9mm is being utilized as a sidearm to a .30-06 rifle.

And for the record, whitetail deer is considered medium, thin skinned game. But that's just semantics.

4. SCmasterblaster

Sep 24, 1999
    Hartford, Vermont
    Don't be too concerned - he is just being argumentative. :upeyes:

5. Kingarthurhk

Sep 5, 2010
    Texas
    It is semantics considering their pelt is thicker than human skin, and their bone structure is denser.

6. Kingarthurhk

Sep 5, 2010
    Texas
    No, I am wondering how many of the mall ninjas really are hunters.

7. Yankee2718

Yankee2718

Nov 23, 2010
    America
    I think this would qualify as mall ninjaish if the thread was about using a 40 to kill a deer at 100 yards.

I think my deer equipment will be a Marlin 336 30-30 and the Glock 23.

8. SCmasterblaster

Sep 24, 1999
    Hartford, Vermont
    VT deer season is approaching for me. I deer hunt every year.

9. A friend of my dads deer hunted every year for over 30 years.

He never shot a deer, he went to deer camp for a week's vacation from his wife.

I kill between 2 and 5 deer every year. I use bow, crossbow, muzzle loader, shotgun, rifle, and handgun. I have no problem with close shots and a service caliber handgun.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Last edited: Oct 12, 2012
  10. I carry a g23 if I'm deer hunting or not. No more trouble to carry hunting than it is on any other day.

Oh and one of the properties I hunt is adjacent to a medium security prison.

11. SCmasterblaster

Sep 24, 1999
    Hartford, Vermont
    G23 is a great pistol!!!! :cool:

12. Rev. ChadW

Rev. ChadW

Dec 31, 2009
    SW Virginia
    I carry a Ruger Blackhawk .45 Colt. I load it with a Remington 225 grain SWC.

13. SCmasterblaster

Sep 24, 1999
    Hartford, Vermont
    That makes good sense. Now I understand. :supergrin:

14. rustytxrx

rustytxrx

Oct 17, 2012
    Texas
    since 1995 or 1996??? I have taken one Texas whitetail doe with a 9mm, two with a .40.

I have taken two cull doe every year since '95 or 96' with two glock 20s. One gen 2 and one gen 3. I have just put a new 6" barrel on my gen 2 and got a new Wolf barrel for my gen 3 to shoot heavy lead cast bullets for big pigs

All shots were within 20 yds and all double lungs. I wait till I get the shot I want. the last thing I look at is the angle the wound channel will be.

I post ya pic of the glocks as soon as I figure the process out :wavey:

rusty
    Texas, I luv you

ps I know I ansered a question you didn't ask. If I was serious about deer hunting (and I am), I go with the Glock 20

lets see if I have this down yet

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 22, 2012
  15. I have killed a deer with a hangun and I will tell you it can be tricky. A deer's head is shaped like a football and the handgun round tends to travel around the skull. Now, I try not to use a handgun to kill a deer, but if you have to shoot them aim for the heart and/or lungs.

I originally tried shooting the deer in the head to preserve meat for the guy that had hit it with his car.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2012
  16. rustytxrx

rustytxrx

Oct 17, 2012
    Texas
    BTW I am not an expert on Glocks. I think the bottom g20 is a gen 2 but really not sure. I bought it in '95 or '96. ss# starts with BSFxxxx if that helps any. pretty sure the new one is a gen 3

rusty

17. Quick N Steady

Quick N Steady

Oct 17, 2012
    First, if you are going to shoot any size deer with a pistol it should be a neck or head shot. That does not leave room for a non-lethal placement. If you can't hit those spots you should not be taking the shot. Second, Glock 21 or 1911 with a .460 Rowland conversion. My personal whitetail pistol is a S&W 44 mag. The .460 Rowland is 44 mag ballistics out of a semi-auto frame.

18. uz2bUSMC

uz2bUSMC 10mm defender

Oct 21, 2005
    J-Ville NC
    There's no need for a head or neck shot when a 10mm can give a complete pass through on a deer. 800+ ft lbs is plenty for normal harvesting of the animal.

19. Armchair Commando

Armchair Commando Long Range Guru

Jan 10, 2006
    Bunker in the Midwest
    Please never give hunting advice again. You are very misinformed and have obviously never hunted deer before.