Glock Talk banner

Whitetail Sidearm

15K views 118 replies 37 participants last post by  SCmasterblaster 
#1 ·
A Glock 17 or a Glock 23? Either would accompany my .30-06. Maybe use it if I was presented a shot under 20 yards.

#78 ·
Have you seen what modern pistol bullets will withstand? XTP bullets are tough. The modern bonded bullets hold together well too. Deer are thin skinned game. I think it's Winchester that is making .223 ammo for deer now. A 9mm pistol bullet is plenty tough enough to penetrate to vital organs in the accepted performance window of the cartridge.

If a 9mm can punch through a windshield or car door and still make 12 inches in gel, I think it'll work on a deer with no armor.
So I guess this means you'll be shooting deer with a .22 now?
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sq_3STLnSe0"]Ruger .22 Pistol vs Car door - YouTube[/ame]

#80 ·
#83 ·
Just like hunting a large game animal with a 9mm is normal?:upeyes:
The entire point of this thread is not to use the 9mm as a primary firearm, but as a short range weapon. The ranges were stated early on. The 9mm is being utilized as a sidearm to a .30-06 rifle.

And for the record, whitetail deer is considered medium, thin skinned game. But that's just semantics.

#84 ·
The entire point of this thread is not to use the 9mm as a primary firearm, but as a short range weapon. The ranges were stated early on. The 9mm is being utilized as a sidearm to a .30-06 rifle.

And for the record, whitetail deer is considered medium, thin skinned game. But that's just semantics.
Don't be too concerned - he is just being argumentative. :upeyes:

#85 ·

It is semantics considering their pelt is thicker than human skin, and their bone structure is denser.

#89 · (Edited)
VT deer season is approaching for me. I deer hunt every year.
A friend of my dads deer hunted every year for over 30 years.

He never shot a deer, he went to deer camp for a week's vacation from his wife.

I kill between 2 and 5 deer every year. I use bow, crossbow, muzzle loader, shotgun, rifle, and handgun. I have no problem with close shots and a service caliber handgun.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

#90 ·
Carrying a G17 would be a PITA. Too big so it will just get in the way. You really want to lug a full size Glock 17, with your bow and gear, while dragging a dead deer out of the woods?

.40S&W is a better caliber for woods walking and hunting. Personally I have a G27 and a Walther PPS in .40 that I use when out in the woods. The G23 should do you just fine.
I carry a g23 if I'm deer hunting or not. No more trouble to carry hunting than it is on any other day.

Oh and one of the properties I hunt is adjacent to a medium security prison.

#94 ·
The loaded weight between the G17 and G23 is not much. The G23 is only an ounce lighter.

The PITA is the size. A full size service pistol needs to be carried on the hip, and it will just get in the way when your gutting and hauling. Compacts and subcompacts are just more comfortable to carry.

G17 Length 8.03" , height 5.43"

G23 Length 7.3", Height 5.00"
That makes good sense. Now I understand. :supergrin:

#95 · (Edited)
since 1995 or 1996??? I have taken one Texas whitetail doe with a 9mm, two with a .40.

I have taken two cull doe every year since '95 or 96' with two glock 20s. One gen 2 and one gen 3. I have just put a new 6" barrel on my gen 2 and got a new Wolf barrel for my gen 3 to shoot heavy lead cast bullets for big pigs

All shots were within 20 yds and all double lungs. I wait till I get the shot I want. the last thing I look at is the angle the wound channel will be.

I post ya pic of the glocks as soon as I figure the process out :wavey:

rusty
Texas, I luv you

ps I know I ansered a question you didn't ask. If I was serious about deer hunting (and I am), I go with the Glock 20

lets see if I have this down yet

#96 · (Edited)
I have killed a deer with a hangun and I will tell you it can be tricky. A deer's head is shaped like a football and the handgun round tends to travel around the skull. Now, I try not to use a handgun to kill a deer, but if you have to shoot them aim for the heart and/or lungs.

I originally tried shooting the deer in the head to preserve meat for the guy that had hit it with his car.

#98 ·
First, if you are going to shoot any size deer with a pistol it should be a neck or head shot. That does not leave room for a non-lethal placement. If you can't hit those spots you should not be taking the shot. Second, Glock 21 or 1911 with a .460 Rowland conversion. My personal whitetail pistol is a S&W 44 mag. The .460 Rowland is 44 mag ballistics out of a semi-auto frame.

#99 ·
First, if you are going to shoot any size deer with a pistol it should be a neck or head shot. That does not leave room for a non-lethal placement. If you can't hit those spots you should not be taking the shot. Second, Glock 21 or 1911 with a .460 Rowland conversion. My personal whitetail pistol is a S&W 44 mag. The .460 Rowland is 44 mag ballistics out of a semi-auto frame.
There's no need for a head or neck shot when a 10mm can give a complete pass through on a deer. 800+ ft lbs is plenty for normal harvesting of the animal.

#100 ·
First, if you are going to shoot any size deer with a pistol it should be a neck or head shot. That does not leave room for a non-lethal placement. If you can't hit those spots you should not be taking the shot.
Please never give hunting advice again. You are very misinformed and have obviously never hunted deer before.

#101 ·
Please never give hunting advice again. You are very misinformed and have obviously never hunted deer before.

Misinformed? I understand ballistics quite well. It as a matter of accuracy and challenge. Anyone can go for brown and down. Body shots are for either bow hunting or wasting meat and poor aim with a center fire.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.