Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Connect with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Read up on the latest product reviews
  • Make new friends to go shooting with!
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

Glock Talk is the #1 site to discuss the world’s most popular pistol, chat about firearms, accessories and more.

White Castles/Krystal Burgers.....Mmmmmmmm

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by The Pontificator, Feb 1, 2004.

1. The Pontificator

The Pontificator Angry Samoan

Sep 18, 2000
    I have a sudden serious cravings for "sliders".

The nearest White Castle is in Nashville (400 miles away) and the nearest Krystal Burger is 100 miles away.

Dang. :(
  2. norm357

Feb 20, 2003
    My wife no longer allows me to eat Krystals. Something about singed nasal hair.;f

3. The Pontificator

Sep 18, 2000
    There used to be a Krystal Burger in Mt. Pleasant (outside of Charleston). I'd always stop there at the crack of dawn on my way to the beach.

I love the smell of Krystals in the morning. Smells like...victory.
  4. Tvov

Sep 30, 2000
    I've never had a White Castle burger....Gasp!

I'm not even sure there is one anywhere near me.
  5. Mild Bill

Mild Bill Millennium Member

Oct 18, 1999
    Tampa, Florida
    Me neither!
  6. Scoob

Sep 10, 2002
    I thought you were refering to the little frozen burgers you get out of vending machines;f I think they're called white castle.
  7. knuckle dragger

knuckle dragger NSAWC

Jul 15, 2002
    Nevada elev 7800 ft
    Man....when i was growing up i loved those White Castle gut bombs...haven`t had them in a long time..
  8. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

Aug 20, 2002
    .10 each 12 for a dollar.

They were good, you learned to not look to see if you got a green one which of course could kill you.
  9. nickg

Jan 16, 2002
    i love white castle burgers and fish sandwiches. a nice sack of burgers goes good with a couple of beers late at night!! ;f
  10. Garweh

Garweh CLM

Aug 12, 2002
    Upstate New York
    Friday night Alton Brown (Good Eats) did a show on corn dogs and homemade gut grenades. Ckeck out the recipes on Looked really tasty!
  11. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Dec 7, 2002
    The Beach
    White Castle--nasty stuff. When I went back to Chicago years ago folks said I had to try them. Awful, grey, tasteless things even with the tiny steamed (?) onions. Now In-n-Out, there is a burger.

12. Glockerel

Glockerel Got Mojo?

I made Alton Brown's recipe and it turned out very well. To make real Armpits (White Castles), you gotta use the dehydrated onions. Soak a 1/4 cup of them in hot water and throw them in the skillet about half way through. They taste just like Whiteys.
  13. ebigfish

ebigfish FinsUp! FinsUp!

Feb 28, 2003
    Hey Glockerel (Farting Chicken... luv it!)

I might be in charge of feeding the tribe for a couple days this week... I'll have to give these homemade sliders a try!

now go fish.
  14. colorado23

Jun 23, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    I like White Castle, I only eat there a couple times a year though. There isn't one where I live but when I visit my family in S. Indiana I eat a bunch of the greasy little things. In-n-out is awesome. That is a quality burger. Have to go to Vegas for that.
  15. The Pontificator

Sep 18, 2000

I had a bit of a time finding that recipe (on but here it is:,1977,FOOD_9936_25895,00.html

Mini Man Burgers

Recipe Summary
    Prep Time: 5 minutes Cook Time: 10 minutes
    Yield: 8 burgers

1/2 teaspoon onion powder
    1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
    1 pound ground chuck
    8 (3-inch) buns or rolls, split in half
    2 to 3 tablespoons mayonnaise

Preheat the oven to 250 degrees F. Preheat a griddle to 350 degrees F.
    Combine the onion powder, garlic powder, pepper, and salt in a small bowl. Set aside.

Line a jellyroll or sheet pan with parchment paper, and place the ground chuck in the middle of the pan. Cover the meat with a large sheet of plastic wrap. Roll meat with a rolling pin until it covers the surface of the pan; it should be very thin. Remove the plastic wrap, and sprinkle the meat with the seasoning mixture. Fold the meat in half, from side to side, using the parchment paper. Use a pizza wheel to cut the meat into 8 even squares.

Wrap the buns in foil and place in the oven for 5 to 10 minutes. Meanwhile, place the burgers on the griddle and cook for 2 to 3 minutes per side.

Remove the buns from the oven. Spread a small amount of mayonnaise on each bun and top with the burger and any other condiments, as desired. Serve immediately.

Then again, you can buy White Castle and Krystal burgers in the frozen food section of just about any supermarket. ;)

(but somehow they don't taste the same)
  16. Glockerel

Glockerel Got Mojo?

Alton's burgers are good, but watch out-!
    When you fold the meat in half, make sure and get any air out that's caught in the middle. Both of my kids bit into theirs and SPLOOSH- juice and stuff came shooting out on their school uniforms. Wife was unhappy!
  17. Guest

Oh, yeah, gotta have Maggot Muffins about once a month for breakfast. Cures what ails ya!

Steve (surrounded by White Castles in Central IN!!)
  18. JMag

Feb 7, 2001
    USA:Love it or leave!
    I prefer the Chicks to the burgers at Krystal. However, I discovered a new-to-me chain with 100% Angus burgers called Backyard Burgers. The best chain burger I've ever eaten. The original came from the Magnolia State...Mississippi!

Looks like franchise's are available; take a look:
  19. ebigfish

ebigfish FinsUp! FinsUp!

Feb 28, 2003

I went with your dehy onions... but (BurpFart...) next time i'll cut it down to 1/8 cup... other than the OD on onion, they turned out yummy! (FartBurp...) ;g
  20. Glockerel

Glockerel Got Mojo?

And thus explaining 'farting chicken'...