close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Whiskey?

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by powderhead, Aug 7, 2011.

1. powderhead

powderhead
    Expand Collapse

If you were to store (stock pile) whiskey to either use as a medicine or for barter in the event of hard times, would you buy fifths, pints, or half pints? I'm thinking of getting a dozen bottles of something. Which leads me to my next question, would you buy cheap rot gut or decent stuff with a fancy name?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. d90king

d90king
    Expand Collapse
    Training Junkie

Copious amounts of Bookers and Makers. I would buy as big as possible and as much as possible.

3. FryCook

FryCook
    Expand Collapse

I think if its the end times people wont be too picky about brands. They will take what they can get.
    Buy a bunch of Evan Williams and call it good.
    I will have a secret stash of Makers or Woodford reserve for myself though.:tongueout:

4. R_W

R_W
    Expand Collapse

Some small bottles of good stuff, some big bottles of cheap stuff.

Vodka, too. Cheap vodka is really good for making tinctures and other stuff.

5. Ruble Noon

Ruble Noon
    Expand Collapse
    "Cracker"

I have fifths of Jack, Evan Williams, Rebel Yell, as well as pints and some good whiskey for me :cool:. Also have vodka and Everclear for tinctures.

6. barbedwiresmile

barbedwiresmile
    Expand Collapse
    Unreconstructed

Mix of each. You want a barter item to be easily divisible.

A mid-range commonly recognizable brand. Not top-shelf. Not no-name.

7. G29Reload

G29Reload
    Expand Collapse
    Tread Lightly

A mixture.

Small stuff like miniatures to make change.

Pints to get thru roadblocks with a bribe.

fifths/liters for major deals.

Cheap stuff for folks who will take anything and be glad.

A few fifths of higher end stuff for deal-sealers with better heeled, not-easily-impressed folks with stuff you need or need a lot of,

Some 1.75s of your favorite for long term storage for cheap entertainment for yourself.

Plenty of mid grade stuff, recognizable.

For cheaper but really good stuff, I would stock McKenna bourbon, very tasty and quality but 14$ a fifth.

Some 12 yr old Scotch. Some JD for the crowd of followers.

Tequila cause it makes women take their clothes off and you might be bargaining for um...non conventional stuff. :)

Vodka cause its so universal.

8. cowboy1964

cowboy1964
    Expand Collapse

A still = infinite moonshine.

#8 cowboy1964, Aug 7, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2011
  9. barbedwiresmile

barbedwiresmile
    Expand Collapse
    Unreconstructed

:cool:

10. Syclone538

Syclone538
    Expand Collapse

A variety, whiskey, vodka, tequila, rum, and everclear. Mid range stuff like mentioned. No need imo for top of the line, but get stuff people will recognize the name of.

11. JFrame

JFrame
    Expand Collapse

POW's in WWII (Paul Brickhill's The Great Escape is well worth the read, from historical, entertainment, and S&P standpoints) were able to concoct hootch with their terribly limited resources at hand -- a hoarded raisin, scrounged potatoes, and materiel from their Red Cross kits, plus their #1 tool -- incredible ingenuity and resourcefulness.

Certainly a point to ponder...

12. 69Charger

69Charger
    Expand Collapse

I would get, have, none. Might be a good trade Item, but.
    Not a boozer here.
    Dave

13. GeorgiaGlockMan

GeorgiaGlockMan
    Expand Collapse
    Aggie in Exile.

Sam's sells Jack Daniels by the liter.

That's what I like and have pleny of.

Don't hardly ever drink any, so it should last at my current consumption levels for years and years.

I am planning on getting some small bottles too - fwiw.

14. G29Reload

G29Reload
    Expand Collapse
    Tread Lightly

It's not bad to know how to make your own, but you're talking about make-do stuff of questionable quality, safety, taste, etc.

By stockpiling name brand stuff, you're adding recognizable to the barter-ee's decision point. Easier to quantify what its worth.

Imagine too, that you've been hanging out at your compound for a couple of years, things look really dire. You make contact with someone who has some drinkables to trade, and you have something worth trading.

Do you just want to get drunk, maybe, or even sick on some unknown stuff someone just cooked up, or does it make your day to see a familiar label, guaranteed taste, safe for consumption in a known quantity, standard size bottle, like maybe you used to pour for the family gatherings at the holidays back when there was a civilization? Wouldnt it be nice to see something familiar that reminds you what it was like to be a human being?

Liquor, as overpriced as it can be in some areas, is still a cheap buy that can be had in quantity, in safe, sealed bottles, easily stored for the long haul in recognizable flavor that you can identify on the spot.

Stolichnaya, Jack Daniels, Maker's Mark, Bacardi, etc.

Go into a liquor store, and ask for one of those empty 12-slot cardboard boxes.

Then buy one bottle of name brand liquor.

Start with the most popular liquor currently on the market: Vodka.

Next payday, buy the most popular liquor on the market for most of America's existence, and the most American of Liquors: Good Bourbon.

Next payday, buy the most purchased brand name in the country: Jack Daniels.

Next payday, the liquor most likely to make women crazy: Tequila!

Next payday, the stuff that mixes best with Coca Cola: Rum!

Next payday, get a really good gin, in case you run into someone with tonic and limes, or maybe just a martini drinker: Gin! Make it Tanqueray.

Your case is now half full.

Repeat the above till the case is full.

Now the hard part. put it away and forget about it.

Some day, you may pull it out and it will:

-become cheap entertainment,
    -ease your misery,
    -become fodder to trade for food to feed your family.

Or just be a deal sealer to get something done, pass a roadblock, make a new friend or ally, purchase some labor for something you can't do yourself.

15. JFrame

JFrame
    Expand Collapse

Hey, G29 -- no arguments whatsoever with what you're discussing.

I guess in my premise I was projecting a much longer term catastrophe, where one's stores have been depleted through consumption and barter.

And as noted in another thread, alcohol has many more uses other than just a pleasant buzz -- medicinal, antiseptic, insect repellent, fuel, etc. Having the knowledge and ability to make essentially an endless supply through available resources would seem to be a handy item in one's bag of tricks.

16. Big Bird

Big Bird
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Life Member

If I were to buy distilled spirits for barter material I'd buy the top shelf bottles to stash away. The logic is simple. First--it takes up a lot of room to store liquids and therefore you want t o maximize your storage space in terms of return on investment. You don't do that with bottles of Smirnoff. Second, people will tell you to buy gold now for SHTF. But they will also say to buy the cheap stuff when it comes to booze? There's no logic there. Why not buy copper instead of Gold for SHTF? As if magically the market for an uber-expensive precious metal will be constant but the market for top shelf spirits will dry up? Personally, I believe the market for the premium product will get better when things get bad in the supply chain.

17. bdcochran

bdcochran
    Expand Collapse

Now for your disappointment. I represented a major distiller. Take vodka. Three different flavors marketed. Same cost to manufacture. Different prices to the public. Four ways of marketing- price discrimination, market segmentation, product differentiation. The fourth is kill your competition (limited to drug dealers).

I would not buy it for trading purposes. (Think about why.)

If you are able to find whiskey in plastic containers or non breakable bottles, great. If you can't, contemplate doing so. (Think about why.)

Despite your personal flavor preference, if whiskey is applied for medical reasons, does the flavor make any difference?

I dance. When I go to a "wine and cheese" party, do you think for a moment that high quality wine and cheese are put out for consumption? So, if you buy whiskey, the same applies. Most people cannot tell a good wine from a bad wine after one glass. Ditto - applies to whiskey as well.

18. Donn57

Donn57
    Expand Collapse
    Just me

The only problem with this analysis is that most people don't drink the top shelf stuff now, so why would they insist on it in a SHTF situation? I think a good mid-grade brand name is the best bet, but I wouldn't avoid the low end stuff if that is all I could afford to put up.

Why gold instead of copper? Because copper is about $4 a pound and stockpiling any significant dollar amount is a waste of space and cannot be easily carried. One ounce of gold can be carried in your pocket and is currently worth about $1700. It would take about 425 pounds of copper to equal $1700. Want to carry that when you bug out?

19. Big Bird

Big Bird
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Life Member

But most people don't use much gold now and if the shtf why would they insist on using gold? Everyone uses copper to some degree or another.... Wires, water pipes, etc... I'm obviously just turning your argument against you.

The key in either situation of course is not to just barter with anyone. There will always be well to do people who are willing to pay a premium for a luxury item.

20. G29Reload

G29Reload
    Expand Collapse
    Tread Lightly

Um, no.

YOur vodka comparison doesnt work for whiskey.

All vodka to me smells like rubbing alcohol.

Vodka seems to be the drink of drunks. No flavor to it, its all about the high.

Whiskey is about the flavor. Crap whiskey tastes like it.

Good bourbon is....smooooooooooooothhhhhh. yum.