close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Which water Filter?

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by Jake514, Sep 16, 2012.

1. Jake514

Jake514

Feb 3, 2007
    Texas
    Another thread got me to thinking again - I still need a reliable water filter. I am not a hiker but had decided on the Katadyn Pocket Filter, but many knowledgeable people on here with much more experience than me seem to like the Berkley.

Does anyone have a specific Berkley model they prefer? Any preferences overall? The Berkleys that filter through 5 gallon buckets would be too bulky to haul but maybe there are recommended alternatives posters have personally used.

My situation:
    *Looking for the "Glock" of the water filter world - RELIABLE.
    *Looking for drinking water to support 2 adults minimum.
    *Must be portable for extreme reliability
    *Able to filter many gallons before filters exhaust themselves.
    *Cost is not my first concern - the cry once theory.

THANKS IN ADVANCE.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2012
  2. rgregoryb

rgregoryb Sapere aude

Oct 20, 2004
    Republic of Alabama
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2012

3. garyo

garyo Millennium Member

Dec 29, 1998
    NC USA
    I agree, Berkey's are really good. But it is the filter stick(candle) that makes it so. You can get the sticks separately and install them into what ever container you like. Will work exactly the same as with the Berkey containers.

4. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Sep 4, 2009
    U.S.A.
    That's cool. Pricey, but cool.

5. bdcochran

bdcochran

Sep 23, 2005
    Los Angeles
    When you eventually select your "filter", check the following.

Some filters start to deteriorate when first used and then continue to deteriorate even if you stop using them. Others will not further deteriorate if you stop using them.

6. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Sep 4, 2009
    U.S.A.
    After reading this thread I decided to price out a few different filters. Holy crap prices have jumped! Berkeys suddenly don't look so expensive.

Check out the Katadyn Combi also.

7. actionshooter10

actionshooter10 CLM

Dec 29, 2006
    Texas
    I have a couple Katadyn Hiker Pros. Great for portability and performance. Good value for the money. Carry a Steripen or other purifier also to kill potential viruses.

Just caved and ordered the Crown Berkey for the house. Probably a bit of overkill for my needs but there was only $100.00 difference between the Travel and the Crown so...why not. Also never know who's gonna show up that I haven't planned for but don't want to kick to the curb. CLEAN water is about the best barter item I can think of or a great way to generate goodwill. The other nice thing about the Berkey is that it's a purifier so no need for any other treatment.

If you're looking for compact and portability, something like the Katadyn is it.

If you're looking for the best water filtration system on the market, I believe the Berkey is close to the top of the list.

Different needs/requirements....different products.

8. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Jan 20, 2004
    Alaska, again (for now)
  9. Deputydave

Deputydave Millennium Member

Feb 20, 1999
    Florida
    +1 on the Sawyer.

Buddy of mine recommended it after personal use in the Coast Guard down in Haiti after the earthquake. I own two, the portable water bottle version and the in-line from 5 gallon bucket version. Both are rated at one million gallons and both come with a back-flush tool.

10. callihan_44

callihan_44 INFIDEL

Aug 19, 2010
    Flyover,USA
    in a survival situation I would get a katadyn hiker pro, I went into a cave and dropped the inlet into a hole and pumped water out of it...not possible with a gravity feed , however If I were to process lots and lots of water I would probably choose a gravity

11. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Sep 4, 2009
    U.S.A.
    The Sawyer has no carbon element? To me that makes it a no-go. That is one reason they can claim "one million gallons". Simpler filter.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2012
  12. spencer1860

spencer1860

Apr 8, 2008
    I use the Katadyn Pocket and have for years. Have traveled extensively and when you are in an out-of-the-way place like Easter Island, having one of these filters can keep you from spending way too much time squatting in the bushes with the local "tourista" syndrome. This model Katadyn is well-known as it is in use by Red Cross elements around the globe. They sell a neat little overhaul kit that I've carried but never had to employ (yet).

It is like a Glock - rugged, dependable. Only drawback is having to sleep with it in very cold temperatures, like the side of a mountain in the Andes or Sierras.

spencer1860

13. Babynine

Babynine

Dec 8, 2009
    I have the MSR MiniWorks EX pump filter, and I have filtered well over 150 liters of lake and stream water over the last two years, some of it very dirty, and the filter element is still within spec after dozens of cleanings both at home, and while hiking/camping. The element seems to have a bunch more life in it before I switch it out for the backup I bought for $40.

It is very easy to take apart without tools to clean and maintain it in the field. No matter how dirty it gets, I have always been able to get it working as good as new without much effort while in the woods.

It does have a small amount of activated carbon in the ceramic element, and the water it produces has always tasted great. As good as any bottled water in my opinion, but your local water may be different.

I also have the SteriPen classic powered by 4 AA Eneloop rechargeable batteries, and it works great, but it removes nothing from the water. It just kills everything with ultraviolet light. It purifies 1 liter of water in 90 seconds with no chemicals involved. Some chemicals take hours to do the same, and chemicals taste nasty. Good to have 'em tho as backup.

14. We have redundancy:

Big Berkey
    Katadyn portable
    Filter they sell at CTD

Plus quite a bit of Na-Hypochlorite.

Good luck.

15. SPIN2010

SPIN2010 Searching ...

Mar 14, 2010
    On the move ... again!
    Katadyn Pocket here ... some complain about the price but it is a quality device that works.

I opted for the carbon cartridge mounted in the output line, I believe it adds much better quality taste to the filtered water. YMMV

16. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Jul 31, 2005
    Atlanta
    I have a Katadyn Hiker Pro. I've actually used it backpacking in the Rockies, but not for several years. It resides in my GHB/BOB.

I also have a Berkey Light with black filter elements that has been in regular use (kitchen counter) for 5-6 years now. The filters are getting pretty slow, but several months ago it still passed the food coloring test.

I'm not sure but I think I'll just order some replacement elements soon.

I have been very happy with the filter.

17. TrueGunNut

TrueGunNut

Apr 28, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    I have a berkey light right here in in my kitchen and it works GREAT. Even bought my parents one for Christmas last year and they are all about it now, as well!

I'd get a berkey light.....or a ProPur if you want to spend more but not have to prime the filters! Houston has some slimy (literally) **** in the water...not to mention the fluoride or radiation!

Cheers!

18. TrueGunNut

TrueGunNut

Apr 28, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Did you scrub the black elements with a toothbrush or scotchbrite pad? (Should be done when the flow rate gets too slow) That will clean the gunk off and allow for desired filtration.

19. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Jul 31, 2005
    Atlanta
    I did that once and didn't get the flow increase I was hoping for. Could try again though.