Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Connect with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Read up on the latest product reviews
  • Make new friends to go shooting with!
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

Glock Talk is the #1 site to discuss the world’s most popular pistol, chat about firearms, accessories and more.

Which Tumbler and trimmer?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by OK Bowhunter, Apr 8, 2010.

1. OK Bowhunter

OK Bowhunter

Apr 3, 2010
    Newbee reloader and I need a tumbler. Big gun shown this week end and wanted to know what to look for and price range. I will be reloading 9mm, 556, 38 special, and 30-06. Not large quanities, but want something that will last.

I am also looking for a trimmer for the rifle brass (223/5.56).

Sorry if this has been asked before.

I bought a RCBS Rocl Chucker and reloaded my first 20 30-06 and all I can say is wow. Took over an hour, but I was taking my time going over everything many times for each step did not even know how much time had gone by.
  2. srd

Apr 4, 2009
    If you do a search on this you will find all kinds of information as to what brand lasts and which ones dont.

3. dogmower

Feb 18, 2009
    spend the $$ and buy the biggest tumbler dillon makes. i had one that i ABUSED for years - overloaded, ran all the time, etc. when it finally died, i called dillon and they replaced it with a new, updated model for $75!
    i am also fond of the dillon case trimmer that mounts on a progressive press. basically, you set it up, then run the cases on your progressive press. i can trim about 1,000 cases per hour, easily.
    if you are doing lower volumes, i like the rcbs trimmer. you can electrically trim and debur inside and outside case mouth at the same time.
    good luck.
  4. byf43

byf43 NRA Life Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Southern Maryland
    I've got two Lyman Turbo Tumblers (1200 model).
    One was bought in 1983. I've run the dog crap out of this one and it just keeps going.
    A friend started reloading and decided that his time was worth more than the ammo, so, he gave me the second one.

Trimming brass. . . . . Lyman Drillpress adapter and a dedicated benchtop drillpress. Currently set up for 5.56x45mm NATO/.223.
    Fast. Accurate, especially since the depth stop is now machined from forged aluminum instead of plastic!
  5. Cobra64

Cobra64 Deals in Facts

Self emptying and vibrates the cases empty. No need for additional media separator.

6. unclebob

Oct 14, 2000
    Mary Esther FL
    If you want a tumbler that well last get one of these. They are not cheap. I have had mine for over 30 years Jack has two that has lasted just as long.
    If you do not shoot a lot then my next choice would be the Dillon CV750.
  7. dudel

Dec 10, 2008
    Texas Hill Country
    The Wilson trimmer works great for me. The Sinclair mount makes it even easier to use. Power adapter available. A bargain to boot.

As for tumblers, I got a Midway tumbler (looks like a Lyman) when I first started in this game 20+ years ago. It was a good deal; but I figured if it failed, I would have learned more about what I needed and steped up to a "real" one. This Midway tumbler has lasted and lasted and lasted. It's the Energizer bunny of tumblers. Nothing fancy, but it does a very good job. I separate the brass from the media with Dillon separator. That's a bit clunky (I have one of the original huge tub ones); but it still does the job and holds lots of brass and media.
  8. Maine1

Jul 20, 2007
    most years i have an opportunity to pick and process thousands of rounds of assorted brass. I cleaned many thousands in my old lyman 1200.

I upgraded to the largest dillon model. Takes up a little room, but i can do several hundred rounds to a whack depending on caliber. the seperator is handy for getting dirt and crud off freshly picked cases so it saves your media a little.
  9. OK Bowhunter

OK Bowhunter

Apr 3, 2010
    Thanks guys I found a Lyman 1200 at the big Tulsa gun show along with a hand priming tool, media, and a Lyman case trimmer. Now the fun starts on to reloading.

Again thanks!