close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Which TRP to get for $2k for everything

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by u4ea, Jan 10, 2011.

1. u4ea

u4ea
    Expand Collapse

I've been on the fence about picking up a RO for a while now. I decided that I want to step it up to a TRP. Kind of a happy medium between the RO and the Professional. I can't narrow it down to which TRP model to get. I am thinking the Operator, but is there anything to think about? Does a rail with a light attached have ANY negatives like those seen with .40 Glocks and a light? I am sorry for asking this here, but I am hoping someone like Quack or bac can post some info and pictures to help me out. This will be a one stop gun for me, so I can't just buy one of each and decide which works out later like some of you big $$$ guys. :) Budget is 2k for the gun and any tweaking or modifying it needs to be 100% solid and accurate. I dunno if the TRP comes dialed in, or if it needs to be tweaked. I handled a RO and decided I'd just prefer a TRP. Maybe I will get a RO down the line, but I just want to step my game up this time.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Quack

Quack
    Expand Collapse
    Rent this space

me? no....i'll post in a bit :)

3. rsxr22

rsxr22
    Expand Collapse

There are no known negatives to the operator. Many just dont prefer them because of the rail. If your going to be using it for target and HD, then the TRP OP would be a great option. If you want to compete with it, youll want to get just a regular TRP.
    The only changes that I made to mine were: GI recoil assembly, Removed ILS MSH for S&A MSH, changed rear sight to 10-8, and changed grips for a more aggressive grip. Their definitely ready to go out of the plastic

4. u4ea

u4ea
    Expand Collapse

Thanks, rsx. Is an Operator around $1,600, or am I looking in the wrong places?

As for using it in competition, I am still a rookie at shooting. I've never even shot more than 300 rounds in one day, and the most times I've ever been to the range in a given month is probably 4. I am sure some you guys make it there probably 2-3x a week.

I will look around until I can find a brand new gun. I was contemplating not getting one, but that shooting in AZ inspired me that I do need a gun. Thanks guys!

5. u4ea

u4ea
    Expand Collapse

I hope I can find one locally and not have to order online.

6. Quack

Quack
    Expand Collapse
    Rent this space

OK....so what do you want out of the gun?
    range, carry or HD?

the TRP that i have was less than $1500 used, but it had $710 worth of work done by the SACS. Nowlins barrel, slide/frame tightened, tools steel hammer/sear, 3.5# trigger job, refinish, and it's pretty close to a Pro. so if you find a pre-owned TRP, you can add a barrel, trigger job/parts and still be under $2000 and have a gun close to a Pro.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

for Home Defense, i was looking at a MC Operator over the TRP Operator for a few reasons, which were the standard barrel (TRP Op has Bull) and the sights (TRP Op has adjustable). when i was looking for a MC Op or LWT Op, i stumbled across the Pro Op for $1525. How could i say no? it's exactly what i was looking for in my HD gun along with the price that i was thinking (after having the MC Op checkered and refinished)

[​IMG]

now if it's a range gun, i would get the RO and have some work done. I liked my Trophy Match, but it was stainless. in my experience, it seems that SS guns loosen up (or not as tight) quicker than steel guns. So with the RO, i would make a budget TGO-1 by adding a S&A magwell, Dawson front sight, trigger job/parts, checkering, Nowlins barrel and refinish (flat black AK).

[​IMG]

7. u4ea

u4ea
    Expand Collapse

I don't know if I would use it for a ccw. Probably gonna buy yet another G19 for that. I want the gun as stock as possible. I want to buy the gun and a few hundred rounds of ammo. Maybe a nice new grip. I may be being dumb here, but I really prefer it to be brand new.

8. Quack

Quack
    Expand Collapse
    Rent this space

do you have use for the light rail?
    if not, get the normal TRP.
    since you want it close to stock, just replace the trigger parts with tool steel. C&S makes good semi "drop-in" kits.

9. TKR Reptiles

TKR Reptiles
    Expand Collapse
    Thread Killer

10. rockabillyrider

rockabillyrider
    Expand Collapse

Oh no, not this crap again!:crying:

11. Quack

Quack
    Expand Collapse
    Rent this space

[​IMG]

12. rockabillyrider

rockabillyrider
    Expand Collapse

13. Clay1

Clay1
    Expand Collapse

I could be all wet here and I should just stay out of this thread about the 45 but you sound like a newer shooter who is excited about shooting and you want to really train and shoot, not just talk about it.

I don't want to pour cold water on your 45 excited state, but realize that factory ammo costs about 2.5 times what 9mm ammo costs. It takes thousands of rounds to train.

You mentioned that you wanted to shoot some competition shooting. IDPA has Custom Defense Pistol (CDP) where a 45 is thee caliber, but in USPSA a 40 is what most shoot who shoot in the Limited division.

Find out which game has the greatest access close to you and buy the gun to run in that division. Remember one thing, this isn't your LAST gun, but just your NEXT gun. More firearm purchases will follow if you have the hunger.

If someone were to come to me and ask about competition shooting and getting started I would definately push them toward a 9. Go learn the games and in IDPA you shoot in Stock Service Pistol and in USPSA you would shoot in production. You will learn, draw, sight picture, trigger control breathing, movement, engaging multiple targets etc. A $600 Glock 34 and thousands of rounds will get your further along your training progress than a very expensive 45 that you complain about ammo prices so you don't really train.

When I was training heavily I shot 15000 rounds in a season. Thats over 1000 rounds a month. So you are prepared to pay $25/box for 45 acp? If the answer is yes cool, but I would need a second mortgage these days to pull a trigger that much with a 45.

Now if you don't want to really shoot it and train, no problem. Get whatever you WANT, because you don't need any other reason besides you WANT a new firearm.

Like I said, probably should just shut up and go back to relaxing with the family. Good luck to you on whatever you decide and I appologize for shoving my opinion in on this thread. I just thought that I was reading something between the lines of your thread that prompted me to ramble for a bit.

Rick

#13 Clay1, Jan 10, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2011
  14. rsxr22

rsxr22
    Expand Collapse

If your looking for a target style gun then by all means, get the Operator. I like 1911's w/ and w/o rails. Rails are a great addition if using for HD so you can add a light.

Your not dumb, but I personally always try to buy used, unless Im ordering a semi-custom spec'd out the way I want it. The truth about it is, the average person does not shoot their gun very often. That being said, it allows you to get a gun that is EXTREMELY hard to wear out, at an even more affordable price.

15. rsxr22

rsxr22
    Expand Collapse

If your looking for the things I listed, you might also want to take a gander at the STI Tactical, which might even be a better built gun then the TRP. Plus if your liking rails, you might also like the double stack capacity that the Tactical will give you. Brazo's Custom or Oak Hill Enterprises probably has the best pricing on STI's. Very well built right here in the states, Texas to be exact, if that means anything to you.

16. stukibuilt

stukibuilt
    Expand Collapse

I hate to derail the topic, but I've noticed that about every time I've seen you post a photo on this and 1911 forums I end up getting insanely jealous. :supergrin:

The TRP is a great gun. If you have any reservations about any of the options, I'd get the RO and have some work done to it. I personally don't like rails and would rather use a hand held light because I can move it off center of my body. That was how I was taught so you have the ability to keep from giving the BG a bright white target that is right in front of my chest. YMMV.

17. u4ea

u4ea
    Expand Collapse

I am picking up a TRP tomorrow. I've been reading about them, and this caught my eye.

My only complaint is that the TRP comes with a two-piece full-length recoil spring guide. However, a quick call to Brownells will have the system replaced with a standard length guide and plug. It is an easy fix and well worth the call.

Is this something to think about? Thanks guys, I am glad I made my choice.

18. Quack

Quack
    Expand Collapse
    Rent this space

non-issue.
    It's along the same lines as "I hate FCS", "I swapped out the MIM", "I swapped out the ambi safety", "I don't like bull barrels", I don't like adjustable sights"....it's personal preference.

19. u4ea

u4ea
    Expand Collapse

Cool. Well thanks to the guys like rsx, Quack and others who have helped me instead of mocking me for my pitiful 1911 knowledge and redundant questions. :)

20. Quack

Quack
    Expand Collapse
    Rent this space

i spent today loitering at RSX's shop after my long day of work (a whole 2 hours) :animlol: