Which triggers do yall prefer?

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by TJarv, Feb 15, 2012.

1. I went out and shot the new AR on Sunday and wasn't pleased with the trigger pull. After getting home I checked it and found I have an 8 lb trigger pull.

After a little research I'm leaning towards a Timney drop in, but I'm up for any other suggestions.

Sent from my pay phone.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. eracer

eracer Where's my EBT?

Ranked in order. I have them all:

Wilson Combat TTU drop-in (Not adjustable. Defines 4 lb. 'glass break. Most expensive of the group, but an AWESOME trigger.)

Alexander Arms Tactical Trigger (Very thin trigger. Great for gloves. Adjustable for take-up and over-travel. Very fast when adjusted properly. I have two of these. I really like them.)

Geissele SSA (Not adjustable. Crisp, but not as crisp as the other two.)

I have a Geissele S3G that I haven't installed yet. Reviews are very positive. Supposed to have the best 'reset' of any single-stage trigger on the market.

The Wilson Combat trigger has been torture tested by others, and has held up well - something that is often a criticism of drop-in triggers.

Geissele makes triggers that are equal to the OEM triggers in terms of reliability, which is a big selling point.

The Alexander Arms trigger is an excellent trigger, but the adjustability scares some folks. (And rightly so if you need the most reliability. If most of what you do is range work, the AA trigger is a great 'lower' cost alternative.

#2 eracer, Feb 15, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  3. Eracer does the purpose of the gun change which trigger you would use?

For example I've built my rifle for more of a target gun. Would you use a different trigger for a longer range rifle than you would a hd rifle?

Sent from my pay phone.

4. Boxerglocker

Boxerglocker Jacks #1 Fan

I have a tried many of the ones mentioned above but for my needs own a Geissele SD-C and SSA.

#4 Boxerglocker, Feb 15, 2012
  5. eracer

eracer Where's my EBT?

For a target rifle your best bet is a two-stage trigger. The purpose of a two-stage trigger is to meet restrictions of trigger 'pull weight' in matches. A single-stage trigger has one 'pull weight' and while single-stage triggers can be set to a very low weight, they are then useless for anything else.

A two-stage trigger will have a certain pull weight in the first stage, then a lower pull weight in the second stage. The 'pull weight' is measured as the sum of the two stages, so you get the benefit of a very light second (final) stage pull, while also having the benefit of a total pull weight in the 'safety' zone.

Guns that are used STRICTLY for long-range precision shooting often have single-stage triggers with pull weight measured under 1 lb. This is not a gun you want for HD, obviously. It's hard to make a single-stage trigger in the 4 lb. range that breaks really cleanly. The Wilson trigger does. And the Alexander Arms does as well (although its pull weight is a little higher.)

The Geissele Hi-Speed National Match trigger is an awesome two-stage adjustable trigger that a lot of target competitions have been won with.

Hope that all makes sense.

The Geissele SSA seems to be the de facto standard 'best' trigger for something 'in between' a pure target and OEM trigger. They have the SSA-E (Enhanced) version that looks good.

Bottom line - if I was looking for a good trigger for 70% target shooting I'd pony up for either the Geissele Hi-Speed National Match, or the Wilson Combat TTU (2-stage.)

6. mgs

mgs Always Carrying
    Millennium Member

(3) Rock River two stages have worked well for me, Mike.

7. eracer

eracer Where's my EBT?

RRA triggers suffer from the same internet anecdotal bashing that Kahr pistols do (I love my Kahr PM-45.)

#7 eracer, Feb 15, 2012
  8. MrMurphy

MrMurphy *********
    Moderator Moderator Millennium Member Lifetime Member

Actually anecdotal is what you make of it.

I've seen an RRA trigger turn into a full auto. And I've personally had a Kahr go unreliable on me.

Geissele is the only aftermarket trigger i'll put on a rifle intended for any serious purposes in the AR world.

9. bullittmcqueen

bullittmcqueen Gunfighter

Agreed 100%.

10. I am debating on getting the Geissele SSA.... There have been numerous posts on the reliability and quality of their products.. They are also about 45 mins away from me..

11. No problems with my RRA two stage trigger. I love it. That thing is sweet but that's just what I think

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

12. Boxerglocker

Boxerglocker Jacks #1 Fan

Honestly, once you try on on your own rifle... the $200 will seem like chump change. Geissele triggers are well worth the cost.

13. I have one AR15 (Mk12 Mod 0) that I use a LMT 2-stage trigger in. The rest of my ARs use the standard triggers. I have never had an issue with any of them. They are combat-type rifles and the triggers are just fine for that usage. However, there are some that need that dainty light trigger pull on their HD AR15. When I was in the service, I was handed a M16A1 and was told to qualify with it. We shot targets out to 500 yards with what the rifle came with from the factory. They worked very well for us. We did not need 2-stage or Match triggers. Unless you are shooting a Sniper System, you really do not need any fancy lightweight triggers. In the same token, to each his own.

#13 jrs93accord, Feb 15, 2012
  14. eracer

eracer Where's my EBT?

The only argument I'd make is that the Wilson Combat TTU is just as reliable as a Geissele (according to the tester who put 70,000 rounds through one.)Trust me, I'm a Geissele fan (I have three of them.) But not everyone needs a combat-ready trigger. The AR-15 works just fine as a paper-puncher. And I would count on the Wilson for my SHTF gun.

#14 eracer, Feb 15, 2012
  15. Disregarded9-side

Disregarded9-side Armchair IPSCer

The Geissele 2-stage DMR trigger I installed was the perfect AR trigger.

And cost half a much as a gun.

16. For the past 2 years, all I use now are Geissele trigger groups on my ARs. I am sure that the others work just as well.

17. RRA two stage. Mine has been perfect.

18. Timney 3lb. $209 installed.

19. jem375

jem375 NRA Life Member

For me, it is the McCormick and on the way....

20. For myself, I own several really nice triggers including a Geissele SSA, SDC and a S3G. In reality I run a USGI trigger just as well for much much less in cost. Seems like in this push button, instant gratification day in age most are looking at the hardware for the solution to a problem, as opposed to focusing on the software.

That should ruffle a few feathers. :tongueout: