close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Which SPP for .380 Auto?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Boxerglocker, Oct 22, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Boxerglocker

Boxerglocker
    Expand Collapse
    Jacks #1 Fan

Which primer manufacturer makes the softest small pistol primers, by softest I mean easiest to ignite. I'm having issues with some .380 Auto that I loaded a while back, can't remember what primers I used (could be Wolf, CCI, Magtech) but 2 out of every six are failing to ignite the first time. Sometimes takes 2 or 3 tries through the P3AT to get them to fire off, they aren't high either… which is weird.
    I want to load my next 500 rounds with the easiest igniting primers I can find. On the bright side this load is such a great performer for a pocket gun. This was the 40 rounds I tried out today, 8 yards strong hand only with 2 flyers off the see n shoot.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
    #1 Boxerglocker, Oct 22, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2010
  2. 2wheelDuke

2wheelDuke
    Expand Collapse

What are the specifics on that load? I started casting the Lee RN for the .380, and just worked up a starting load of 2.7gr of bullseye behind it.

I'm using CCI primers for now, but haven't tried them in the Keltec yet.

3. Boxerglocker

Boxerglocker
    Expand Collapse
    Jacks #1 Fan

100g Berrys RN with 3.2g HP38 at 0.980 OAL... this is Freakshows commercial load recipe. I've shot a few hundred of these already with CCI SPP's they are great, but the last couple of hundred I loaded must've grabbed the wrong primers I want to just make sure the next batch has the easiest igniting ones I can find.

#3 Boxerglocker, Oct 22, 2010
  4. sicbstrd

sicbstrd
    Expand Collapse

Im pretty sure its Federal. they seem to be the softest ones ive used

5. GioaJack

GioaJack
    Expand Collapse
    Conifer Jack

BG:

I loaded quit a few .380's for my Walther PP and LCP over the summer, prior to getting any Wolf primers.

Loaded 'em all with a mixture of CCI, Federal and Winchesters without a problem... really didn't notice a difference at all.

Been using HP-38, a little lighter than Freak's load, and can't complain about the performance.

Jack

#5 GioaJack, Oct 22, 2010
  6. D. Manley

D. Manley
    Expand Collapse

Federal, hands down. My guess is you grabbed the Wolf...good enough primers overall but they do require more of a whack to set off than other primers.

7. BigDog[RE]

BigDog[RE]
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Member

Fedral MATCH primers have the softest cup. I use them for my old PPC gun that has the lightest DA trigger pull I have ever seen.

8. Boxerglocker

Boxerglocker
    Expand Collapse
    Jacks #1 Fan

Federal is what I suspected would be the concensus... shame I traded a couple of thousand for some CCI's to a fellow IDPA club member that shoots revolver last summer... didn't realize I would have these issues. I know one of the local gunshop.reloading supply places here has them though so I'll pick up a brick. Thanks all. :wavey: