close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Which model SIG 220 do I own?

Discussion in 'The Sig Sauer Club' started by ChiefWPD, Mar 3, 2012.

1. ChiefWPD

ChiefWPD

Dec 25, 2004
    Kind of a long story. A million years ago (late 1980s) I served as a lieutenant in the NYPD’s Firearms and Tactics Section. Among my responsibilities was research and testing (it was a tough job, but someone had to do it). Anyway, SIG sent us a bunch of handguns to evaluate. As I recall there were some 230s (standard weight and airweight versions) and a couple of SIG 220s. All the SIGs performed flawlessly and we (I had several firearms instructors under my supervision) put many rounds through them. When it was time to send them back SIG didn’t really want them so offered them to us at a Very Good Price. So, I picked up one of the 220s (super reliable and darn accurate) plus an extra half dozen mags for it.

My carry guns over the last +twenty years has been Glock semi-autos or an assortment of revolvers, so the SIG has been a safe queen except on rare occasions when I’d give her some exercise (I know she doesn't look it, but she's had around 1,000 rounds run thru her over the years).

Anyway, this model has a fixed front sight, no rail (as is obvious from the photos) and is an older version of the design. Can anyone tell me which variant I own and where it falls among the SIG 220 line?

Thanks!

Oh, one last thing. Approximate value of the gun and all those magazines?

:wavey:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Never bothered to unwrap four of the magazines.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 3, 2012

2. My 94 model has the rounded hammer that came out in about mid 93. They also had a bit of green paint on the recoil spring to notate that they were beefed up for +p ammo. Yours was made pre 93. They are great guns. Mine shoots better groups with any ammo than any of my other guns.

3. looks to me to be a SiGARMS imported, Tysons Corner marked, mid to late 1980's West German made SiG Sauer P220 with standard SiG Blue finish and stock sights...should be quite nice but then you already know that...with mags I'd think close to $500 or so...maybe a bit more for someone looking for this particular type P220 (among the best in my experience)

Bill

Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  4. ChiefWPD

ChiefWPD

Dec 25, 2004
    Silversport, thanks for the info. Is this the first model of the 220 that came out or were there earlier variations?

5. there are some earlier versions if you count those imported by other than SiGARMS but Tysons Corner is the first home of SiGARMS (IIRC)...they were imported by Hawes, Interarms and Browning as the BDA back before SiGARMS was formed...at that time SiGARMS just imported them and did not make any of them...

Bill

6. dmaynor

dmaynor

May 16, 2011
    I don't think Sig had the same "million model lines" back then that the do now. Back then a 220 was a 220. Not like today where I own a 220 Rail, a 220 Scorpion, a 220 Equinox, and a 220 Elite Dark.

Unless I am mistaken it's marked Tyson's Corner, VA. If that's right it would have been made between 1985 and 1987 which means its a full size 220 with no variant.

Disclaimer: I am not a historian, just a Sig fan.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
  7. ChiefWPD

ChiefWPD

Dec 25, 2004
    Correct, that's what is marked on the slide.

8. LDNN

LDNN

Jan 29, 2011
    Texas
  9. tim12232

tim12232 Pistolero

Aug 15, 2011
    midwest
    I like that 220! Its like a euro version 1911! Classy, well built and metal!

10. fowler

fowler

May 27, 2004
    ohio
    $500 is about right,used Sig mags about $25 for blue and more for stainless Sig made only.

11. Rinspeed

Rinspeed JAFO

Feb 28, 2001
    NY
    If you look under the front of the slide there should be a two letter date code. This will tell you what year it was made in.

A B C D E F G H J K
    0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

12. ca survivor

ca survivor

Dec 25, 2011
    Florida
    I'm so glad you posted that picture, going to show it to the owner of my LGS, he don't believe Browning had those out, I had one about the same time as yours, didn't like because of the mag release.

13. JasonC8301

JasonC8301

Oct 23, 2006
    Not sure about the gun but I bet some of the guys you worked with at FTS are still there. Some guys still have that round senior instructor patch.

14. barth

barth six barrels

Oct 7, 2011
    The Free Zone
    [​IMG]
    Three mags of Winchester Ranger T-Series 230 gr .45
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 10, 2012
  15. TxGlock9

TxGlock9

Nov 22, 2010
    BMT, TX
    Hey Barth. I just bought a P220 Carry. What accessories and stuff should I buy for it?