close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Which lower parts kit do you like?

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by 03scgt, Nov 15, 2012.

1. 03scgt

03scgt
    Expand Collapse

Recently myself and a couple friends bought 7 new frontier lowers to start a few builds on.

I'm kinda stuck on which parts kit to go with on mine.I was going to piece it together with a magpul stock and was thinking a spikes tactical buffer setup.what lower parts kit would you reccomend?

I've got a .300 black upper I plan on using and I'm going to order a .223/5.56 as well

Not planning on anything serious aside for Some weekend fun at the range.maybe 1k rounds a year through it

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Travclem

Travclem
    Expand Collapse
    Badass Member
    Lifetime Member

For a plastic lower, weekend plinker, just pick the cheapest one.

#2 Travclem, Nov 15, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
  3. LA_357SIG

LA_357SIG
    Expand Collapse
    Milspectacular

Based on my experiences: Spikes>RRA>DPMS>>>>>>>M1S.

4. Cole125

Cole125
    Expand Collapse
    Silver Member

I've used CMMG LPKs in one of my builds and RRA in my two others. No complaints with either. RRA kits have a little nicer finish on parts.

#4 Cole125, Nov 15, 2012
  5. Big Bird

Big Bird
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Life Member

I like PSA's Lower Parts kits because they customize them with MOE or Ergo grips etc and you can order them w/out the Fire Control Group so you don't end up spending money on stuff you'll just replace anyhow. You can buy their MOE LPK for about $34 which includes a MOE grip AND a MOE triggerguard...buy an ACT QMS trigger for about $40 and for about $70 have a decent lower with an adequate trigger. Or just spring for a Giessele SSA for $170. In either case you end up with the parts you WANT and not a bunch of GI triggerguards/grips etc that you'll end up swapping out anyhow. A MOE grip and Triggerguard alone retail for $30 which means you get the rest of the parts in the LPK for less than $10!

6. Made in Austria

Made in Austria
    Expand Collapse

I like RRA parts kits.

7. 03scgt

03scgt
    Expand Collapse

Awesome I diddnt notice that on psa's site ,it's also the exact reason I'm putting one together.i diddnt want to end up with a bunch of stuff I was going to replace anyway.NFA sold a full lower for 110 shipped but I diddnt want the stock or grips

8. TucsonGlocker

TucsonGlocker
    Expand Collapse
    Young Gun

+1! I always go with PSA for Lower Build Kits.. They offer plenty of options so you get exactly what you want. That way you don't end up with multiple generic grips because you actually wanted the Magpul :supergrin:

9. ksmedman

ksmedman
    Expand Collapse

Another vote for PSA. I picked up several over thier Labor Day sale (IIRC they were <$40)
    I've also used Spike's and CMMG, all have been GTG.

10. rick458

rick458
    Expand Collapse
    USS Texas BB-35

I have had good luck with STAG, and I used a DPMS that worked but the trigger was AWFUL

The PSA where you can get a Geissele trigger sure looks nice

11. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank
    Expand Collapse
    Who?

My dad ordered a FCG-less parts kit from Palmetto recently. It came with 3 detents and a roll pin missing.

He emailed them told them of the missing parts, and he got more in the mail.

Only they sent 2 takedown pins, a roll pin, and one detent.

So, 2/4 on the replacements, and he still cant finish the lower.

I'll be using a Stag LPK to finish out my new lower.

#11 WoodenPlank, Nov 15, 2012
  12. LA_357SIG

LA_357SIG
    Expand Collapse
    Milspectacular

I ordered a gas key and 2 bolts. I got 1 bolt. I emailed PSA and received the other bolt and gas key. :sigh: ETA: I was at least expecting a sticker or hat for the trouble.

#12 LA_357SIG, Nov 15, 2012
  13. mjkeat

mjkeat
    Expand Collapse

I purchased a DPMS LPK on a Friday because I wanted to go shoot on Saturday. It was the worst LPK I have ever had. The pins walked leaving that lower inoperable. I tried the LPK in other lowers w/ the same results. It was obviously the DPMS LPK causing the issue and not the lowers. Last time I purchased a DPMS LPK.

I also witnessed a DPMS complete rifle go full auto as the trigger assembly came apart.

I do agree if you're not planning on putting many rounds through the rifle most anything will do if it is indeed in spec unlike the DPMS LPK I purchased.

If I want to know I'll receive what I ordered and it'll function every time I need it to a Daniel Defense LPK is the only route.

#13 mjkeat, Nov 15, 2012
  14. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank
    Expand Collapse
    Who?

I've used DPMS parts kits in the past (there's one in my SBR, actually), but always ****-canned the FCG as soon as possible. The stock DPMS trigger blows.

15. mjkeat

mjkeat
    Expand Collapse

Why support garbage and create extra work for yourself when you can get a LPK that's GTG from the start? Don't you end up spending more in the long run?

16. 03scgt

03scgt
    Expand Collapse

I've owned LWRC,RRA,and olympic arms rifles.the idea here was to have a weekend gun that was better performance wise and looks wise than a off the shelf m&p15 or similarly priced rifle.I don't need a 1800$ gun for what I'm looking to do anymore

17. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank
    Expand Collapse
    Who?

At the time, it was all that was available. Also, I was planning an after-market trigger in that build, anyway, so tossing the DPMS trigger wasn't a big deal. This was before PSA started selling parts kits with no FCGs.

18. Travclem

Travclem
    Expand Collapse
    Badass Member
    Lifetime Member

Not gonna happen with a plastic lower. Just go with a cheap LPK like I said in the first response.

At least you didn't get the NFA complete lower with the plastic hammer and plastic trigger like my FIL and his buddy.

#18 Travclem, Nov 15, 2012
  19. mjkeat

mjkeat
    Expand Collapse

Makes complete sense. I have a few FCGs sitting around as well.

20. floorburn_21

floorburn_21
    Expand Collapse
    .40 ftw

I just ordered a lbk from Palmetto and they didn't send three of the parts. Everything else seemed good as far as fit and finish. It also took almost three weeks to get.