close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Which JHP for both SD and HD?

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by joe_rkba, Aug 30, 2012.

1. joe_rkba

joe_rkba
    Expand Collapse

Looking for JHP recommendations for my Glock 19 for both self-defense and home defense use. Drywall overpenetration is a concern, and on a related note, I've heard that JHP ammo in which the hollow point's cavity is filled with plastic more reliably expands because the already filled cavity cannot get filled with clothing material, drywall, etc.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. M 7

M 7
    Expand Collapse

If a JHP won't penetrate a sheet of drywall, it won't penetrate deeply enough to stop a threat and plugged/clogged JHP cavities don't expand very well since they require hydraulic forces to start and maintain expansion.

Pick any one of the major manufacturer's (Federal, Winchester, Remington, Hornady, etc.) premium JHPs and focus on what's really important- quality training and practice.

#2 M 7, Aug 30, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
  3. joe_rkba

joe_rkba
    Expand Collapse

Agreed, which is why I'm looking for JHP and not Glaser-type ammo.

My understanding is the plugged JHP (on right in pic) expand more reliably than JHP that has to go through clothing (and may get clogged with clothing material). Is this incorrect?

[​IMG]

4. M 7

M 7
    Expand Collapse

For those particular designs (Hornady's Critical Defense and Critical Duty ammo, that is), yeah, it seems to work, but it probably requires a very soft lead core and prayer- even then there is no guarantee that it (the plastic insert) will not present a problem. As you can tell, I am not a real big fan of sticking stuff in a JHP's cavity since it tends to complicate things in most cases. Still, Hornady seems to have figured it out and if you believe that it is the option that best answers your concerns, use it.

As for the rest of the "Which SD ammo should I pick?" issue, my "generic suggestion" that you pick a quality JHP made by one of the major ammo manufacturers comes from my opinion that neither extreme ("heavy & slow" or "light & fast") can be right all of the time, every time. Each perspective has it's "pros and cons".

After doing your own research (and thinking for yourself) pick the one that best suits your environment and needs and gives you the most confidence.

5. Warp

Warp
    Expand Collapse
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

If it can be trusted to stop an attacker, it's going through multiple sheets/walls of drywall.

I vote Speer Gold Dot or Federal HST.

6. 9mm +p+

9mm +p+
    Expand Collapse

I run mid weight JHP's at +P or +P+ levels, all the major mfg's make them just pick which one you shoot best. Ranger T's, HST's, Gold Dots, take your pick. As for sheetrock any 9mm non fragmenting is going to go through walls.

7. Adamz04

Adamz04
    Expand Collapse

Plus one for this info.
    Any quality jhp will penetrate the walls in a stick frame home, possibly even a stud or two (especially if if does not expand). You will still want a choice that will stop the threat though so you don't want to compromise with weak/ junk ammo. Pick a reliable expander. The more expansion you get the less penetration you will have but it will likely be enough to do the job. I like the light and fast loads for HD and the mid weights for SD.

8. elliotb33

elliotb33
    Expand Collapse

If overpenetration is a worry

[ame="http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gQ7ri9wa728"]YouTube - Underwood 9mm 115 gr +P+ JHP Ammo Test[/ame]

#8 elliotb33, Aug 30, 2012
  9. joe_rkba

joe_rkba
    Expand Collapse

Just to ensure that I am understanding this correctly, you prefer light and fast for HD because you get a little bit less penetration than a heavier and slower round?

I take it 115gr is considered on the light side for 9mm? And 147gr on the heavy side?

Great video, elliot, thanks for linking that.

#9 joe_rkba, Aug 30, 2012
  10. elliotb33

elliotb33
    Expand Collapse

Yep, that expansion is crazy. Never seen a 9mm expand to .884 avg.
    TN9 also test underwood 124 +p+ and their 147 +p+ if you want to check those out.
    Underwood ammo.com

11. 9mm +p+

9mm +p+
    Expand Collapse

I currently run Underwoods 124+P+, it perrformed very well in those tests.

12. joe_rkba

joe_rkba
    Expand Collapse

Just watched the 147 +p+ video. Nice comparison of the tradeoff of expansion vs penetration using the same bullet.

13. joe_rkba

joe_rkba
    Expand Collapse

Seems the general consensus (or as much of a consensus as can be reached on ammo related issues) is for 9mm self-defense rounds, one should go +p or +p+ (at least for Glocks since they can handle the extra pressure).

14. M 7

M 7
    Expand Collapse

There is no need for +P or +P+ in the 9mm if you are using 147 gr. JHPs (the increase in velocity is relatively small- usually 50-75 fps) and seeking an increase in penetration under these circumstances (< 1") is an exercise in diminishing returns.

#14 M 7, Aug 30, 2012
  15. TexasGlockster

TexasGlockster
    Expand Collapse

I carry Speer 124 +P Gold Dot Hollow Points when I have my conversion barrel in my G23. I do this because those rounds have proven reliable in my gun and because many law enforcement agencies that use 9mm have found it effective.

16. unit1069

unit1069
    Expand Collapse

There are street proven rounds like 115-grain Federal 9BPLE, 124-grain Speer Gold Dot +P, and Winchester 127-grain +P+ available for all-round self-defense needs.

My own thoughts about home defense involving close range scenarios would include standard pressure rounds and +P/+P+ rounds in many other quality JHP ammo, like Remington Golden Saber, Hornady, Speer, Federal, etc ...

From what I can tell the default round by which to judge all other 9mm rounds is the Speer 124-grain Gold Dot +P. Using that standard you can pick the round you think is best for your particular overall shooting characteristics in your chosen handgun.

Others can only offer their insights; it's up to you to make your independent evaluation and choice.

#16 unit1069, Aug 31, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2012
  17. unit1069

unit1069
    Expand Collapse

But the impact event and attendant tissue displacement tells much more than the final penetration/expansion statistics do. That's why I like to see a full autopsy (for want of a better term) of gelatin tests that are made available by careful and conscientious posters on the Internet.

18. fredj338

fredj338
    Expand Collapse

You street ammo needn't be any diff than your HD ammo. A miss on the street is just as likely to cause unwanted injury as one at home. If over penetration or penetrating bldg mat'ls is an issue for you, go with the ligthest/fastest, non bonded JHP in that caliber. It has less mass for less penetration but the downside is you may not reach vitals on an attacker either. It's always a balancing act.

#18 fredj338, Aug 31, 2012
  19. 9mm +p+

9mm +p+
    Expand Collapse

147's are pure idiocy, the worst thing to ever happen to the 9mm. The ONLY 147 I would use or suggest would be Underwoods +p+ loads. You might check your #'s as well, it's 200 fps faster than your typical watered down 147...

20. barth

barth
    Expand Collapse
    six barrels

Hitting the bad guy is a great way to not shoot through walls - LOL!

Seriously,
    124/127 gr 9mm +P/+P+, in Speer GDHP, Federal HST or Winchester Ranger T-Series - are considered by many to be Best of the Best.

You might want to consider the standard pressure flavor to reduce penetration.

#20 barth, Aug 31, 2012