close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Which is higher quality -- Les Baer or Ed Brown?

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by Freedom101, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Freedom101

Freedom101

Sep 25, 2010
    What are the pros/cons of a Les Baer and Ed Brown 1911? Which is more reliable?......more hand fitted or more consistant build quality???

Any info is appreciated.

2. Quack

Quack Rent this space

Jan 7, 2002
    NE Ohio
    Ed Brown is a nicer overall package.
    If you are looking for a hard use gun, then the Baer.

I prefer the Springfield Custom Shop guns over either of them.

3. Ruggles

Ruggles

Jun 13, 2005
    Tejas
    Quack gives good advice. I prefer m Brown over the Baer I had. I sold the Baer after I got the Brown as I felt the Brown was a better gun IMO. I prefer Wilson over both I think, hard to say whihc I would buy next a Brown or Wilson. Really can not go wrong with any of the guns mentioned so far IMO.

P.S. Stay away from flat triggers on 1911, they are for guys mostly trying to compensate for lack of "something" physically :)

Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
  4. GJ1981

GJ1981 Pitying Fools

Feb 10, 2008
    I won't say which is "best" overall since it's subjective.

Baer

Pros - Kart barrel, usually cheaper in price, can be ordered with 20 LPI checkering. There quite a few high round Baer's floating around, they seem to hold up pretty well.

Cons - Fewer options, lousy sights (IMO)

Brown -

Pros - More options, nicer bluing

Cons - Will cost a little more than a Baer. I've seen quite a few Kobra Karry's with tight extractors. If you want to count it.

5. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    Browns are more refined for sure.

Baers are tighter, generally speaking. I tend to prefer the way Baers shoot for me, at least.

Both are great 1911s.

6. R0CKETMAN

R0CKETMAN NRA MEMBER

Dec 19, 2007
    SECONUS in HARD TARGET
    Easy, for the money, aka ROI, Baer. Why you ask? Just as good or better than a Brown for quite a bit less.

7. Officer's Match

Officer's Match S.R.D. v

Jun 22, 2007
    Lancaster, Ohio
    Compared to a Les Baer, Ed Brown's aren't hand fit. That is not necessarily bad - Brown's are pretty much home made from CAD design to final assembly. But if a hard fit and hand fit is what you want, a Baer is much more in line than a Brown.

8. HAIL CAESAR

HAIL CAESAR Senior Member

Mar 1, 2007
    In my shop
    Good post.

It is really like this;

Do you like vanilla or chocolate ice cream? Both are great but different, depending on your tastes.

9. quantico

quantico 1911 lover Millennium Member

Sep 15, 1999
    Wisconsin
    I think both are well made accurate high end 1911's. I think the ed brown looks better and has a higher attention to detail. I think the baer is more suited to rough use as a duty gun. The baer starts out very tight. The brown feels extremely smooth and moves easily.

10. AZ Husker

AZ Husker

Mar 25, 2003
    Phoenix
    I've had both. The Brown is much more refined and smoother. The Baer was a bear when new it was so tight. I'm amazed it even fed ammo. It did loosen up with use, and probably lapped itself into a perfect fit. A friend wanted a higher end gun, so I sold him the Baer. We never bonded like I did with the Brown. Resale value is much better with the Browns.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
  11. PlasticGuy

PlasticGuy

Jul 10, 2000
    I've got two Baers and one Brown, and I agree with this completely.

While my Brown is smoother and a little better finished, my Baers shoot better for me. I would buy another Baer in a second. While my Brown is not for sale, I don't think I will ever feel a bond with it like I do both of my Baers. Of course, it's all subjective. The very next post might be a guy saying the exact opposite.

12. MD357

MD357

Jul 13, 2008
    I prefer Baers, but honestly, either will be reliable, accurate and last longer than 95% of people care to shoot it.

13. DAT85

DAT85

Mar 15, 2009
    CINCINNATI OHIO
    I have 4 Baers and 1 Brown so I guess I am little biased in this but I will admit that the level of finish(bluing anyway) is better on the Brown products.As far as accuracy,I shoot the Baers a little better than the Brown.

Customer service wise,Brown eats Baers lunch.

I had a slide flattened and serrated a trigger job sights replaced and the pistol re-blued and back in my hands in 1 week from Ed Brown. :wow:

Regards,
    DAT85

14. samuse

samuse

Jul 30, 2008
    South TX
    What makes some people think that a Baer would be better suited to "hard use" than a Brown?

15. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    Well said, Al. :cool:

16. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    I'm not sure that they are. However, they do have much more the feeling of a "working man's" 1911 than a Brown does.

That's just my opinion, of course.

17. RMA

RMA

Nov 19, 2009
    Tampa, Fl
    I have 3 Baers and love them all! The Baer product shoots very well for me since day one. No Brown's but I would consider the Kobra Carry but would probably be farthest on my must have list at the moment.

18. NDLAWRENCE

NDLAWRENCE

Aug 16, 2009
    :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: