close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Which Gen4 grip should I use?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Pier23, Apr 7, 2012.

1. Pier23

Pier23 Silver Member

Gentlefolk;

I am new to Glocks, but owing to an ongoing sale at my LGS, I have accumulated more than any rationale share of them.

currently this includes a G21 Gen2, a G23 Gen 3 and Gen 4 and now new to me, a G17 Gen3.

Of those, the G21 Gen2 is the most comfortable in my hand, with the G17 Gen3 next. Least comfortable are the G23s.

So, I thought the backstrap options of the Gen4 would give me a perfect fit...but...I don't know what a perfect fit might be.

I am not a fan of the rough texture of the Gen4..I find the older finishes more comfortable, but I am not really into the extreme retrofitting that some folks here apparently can do.

So, my question: how do I know when a pistol fits, and which size should I settle on with my Gen4 G23?

I don't know how to describe or analyze my hand size. Physically I am 6 ft 210 lbs. Right-handed, if I fully extend my hand, I just cover the width of an 8.5x11 inch piece of paper. This means the edge of my thumb is on the left margin and the edge of my pinky is just touching the right margin of the paper.

With no grip on the Gen4, my hand wraps easily around the entire grip but my middle-finger nuckle is then right against the bottom of the trigger guard. However, the trigger falls into the first joint of my trigger finger...

The middle strap seems the least comfortable. The large grip fills my hand nicely, but allows my hand to move around more..I can select the type of grip I can have, but I don't know what that grip should be...

Back to my question then..how do I know what a good fit is for me?

Thanks all!

2. mcflyfyter

mcflyfyter

I just grip the gun, and see if it makes consistent contact along the backstrap. With the hump glocks have, they don't make much contact with the center of my palm.

3. Redstate

Redstate

Sounds like you have pretty large sized hands. Have you tried to shoot with all 3 grip sizes? I would say that the grip size that you shoot best with may be the one you want to go with. However, it sounds like with no grip add-on, you may get "Glock Knuckle" which I think means knuckle pain. As far as the trigger falling into the first joint of your index finger, some use that as a rule, while others use the center of the pad of the index finger as the rule.
    Bottom line is that I really don't know the answer to your question.

4. Pier23

Pier23 Silver Member

Hi Redstate;

Yeah, I kinda figger the answer most will come up with is "whatever works for you is what you want to go with..."

Well, next time I go plinking with it, I will just have to swap out backstraps and see what happens...

Just thought someone might have a rule of thumb regarding what to look for in a grip.

5. mrsurfboard

mrsurfboard The Anti-Glock

Really, asking others what grip feels best in your hand?

6. Pier23

Pier23 Silver Member

Well... yeah, because frankly neither the Gen3 nor the Gen4 23 grips feel particularly good in my hand. The 17 and 21 are far more natural for me, but that is because they feel more rounded, and the 23 feels more rectangular in my hand.

So, given a not great feel for me anyway, I am trying to find out which in theory would give me the best grip.

7. Redstate

Redstate

Let us know what you decide and the reason behind it. Technically speaking, the Gen 4 med backstrap should be the same size as the grip on your Gen 3 G23. With the large backstrap, it should be the same size as your G21 from backstrap to front. Of course, the G21 is fatter.
    Also, I re-read your initial post and discovered that I misunderstood the measurement of your hand. I thought you put your hand across a piece of paper from the wrist to the tip of the middle finger.

8. Pier23

Pier23 Silver Member

Thanks, Redstate...that info on the size equivalent helps.

I will spend some quality time on the range swapping backstraps.

Oh, from wrist to tip of middle finger, that too is just covering the width of a sheet of paper - 8.5 inches.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2012
  9. mrsurfboard

mrsurfboard The Anti-Glock

And no one will know that except for you. Try for yourself and make up your own mind.