close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Which forend for my 870P?

Discussion in 'Tactical Shotguns' started by Mr Wasabi, Jan 24, 2010.

1. Mr Wasabi

Mr Wasabi Sushi Nazi

Mar 8, 2008
    Lutz, FL
    I bought a six shot TacStar side saddle and need a shorter forend for my 870P. I'd rather not cut and sand down my stock one so I've been looking at my options that are available out there. Which one is best? The Hogue, Speedfeed, or an 870 youth? I'm leaning towards the Hogue:
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productnumber=567279

I'm not interested in the Surefire one. Any others out there?

Thanks.

2. UrbanCowboy

UrbanCowboy Koch Addict

Nov 15, 2005
    Phoenix, Az
    I like the rubbery feel of the Hogue vs. the hard plastic feel of the Speedfeed.

3. desertfox

desertfox <font color="red">Suspended</font>

Apr 6, 2005
    Arizona
    if not the surefire, my second option/preference is a Hogue overmolded forend.

4. akgunnut

akgunnut

Feb 17, 2007
    Alaska
    +1 on the Hogue forend.

5. Mr Wasabi

Mr Wasabi Sushi Nazi

Mar 8, 2008
    Lutz, FL
    Thanks everybody,

Is the Hogue forend in this set the same as the one in my original link:
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=556440

The pic looks different so I'm wary. I'm not really interested in a pistol grip for this 870 but for $4 more I can get the set. Maybe I can use it later.

6. Yes, it is the same forearm.

7. aippi

aippi

Jun 12, 2009
    The Speed Feed LE forend over the Houge. The Houge does not line up with the Remington forend tube assembly so you have to line it up then tighten the tube nut. Over time this moves and damages the inside of the forend and at some point it will be unusable.

The Speed fit has a small raise tit that slides right in to a slot in the forend tube assembly and is perfectly line up so you just tighten the forend tube nut. This also helps it stay aligned.

8. Mr Wasabi

Mr Wasabi Sushi Nazi

Mar 8, 2008
    Lutz, FL
    Thanks,

That's good to know. Will this also allow me to use my six shot TacStar? I did a quick Google and can't find the right part #. Who sells it?

Thanks again for the input everybody.

9. BHP9

BHP9

Nov 21, 2008
    God's Country.
    Along with the Speedfeed fore-end, the Choate Spool fore-end is GTG.

10. L-2

L-2

Nov 19, 2001
    California
    deleted

Last edited: Mar 27, 2011
  11. Mr Wasabi

Mr Wasabi Sushi Nazi

Mar 8, 2008
    Lutz, FL
    Hmmm. I thought I'd have to shorten it for the six shot TacStar. I'll try putting it on tonight. If that's the case, I'll stick with the stock Rem forend. My eventual goal is to pickup some nice 870P walnut furniture for it. Is the forend that comes with the 870P walnut short enough as well?

Thanks again.

12. Copis

Copis

Dec 30, 2007
    intersting....never heard that before....any pics?

13. B Coyote

B Coyote

Jul 3, 2001
    NW Indiana
    Mine is. I have the walnut furniture on my personal gun. If I were to install a sidesaddle, I wouldn't need to change forends.

bc

14. fragout

fragout

Jan 14, 2010
    New Hampshire
    How about the 870 MCS forend from remington? It's very short.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
  15. Mr Wasabi

Mr Wasabi Sushi Nazi

Mar 8, 2008
    Lutz, FL
    That's excellent news. Now if I could just find some 870P walnut in good shape. In fact, I'd really like to find a clean walnut/blue 870P. I'd probably still keep my parkerized/synthetic one but those blue/walnut ones are dang nice.

16. Mr Wasabi

Mr Wasabi Sushi Nazi

Mar 8, 2008
    Lutz, FL
    That one looks too short for my tastes. I just want enough clearance for this six shot TacStar.

17. aippi

aippi

Jun 12, 2009
    Yea, you want pic of a FUBAR Houge e-mail me at aippi@netscape.com as I can't post pics on this site. It will also show all you guys that have them what they may look like in a few years if you don't keep them perfectly aligned and tight.

Yea, yea, I know. A guy will now post that he has been using the Houge for 100 years and it never gets loose....and good for him.

18. PPP

PPP

Feb 1, 2007
    East TN
    Good to know. I currently have a houge forend on my 870. No problems yet but I see that this is your business so I will gladly defer to you.

Do you recommend any other forends other than the speedfeed or the original furniture?

Thanks in advance for the info!

Not to hijack but one other question.
    I have a spec ops stock on it at present and have all but determined to switch out for the speedfeed 1. I see that you use both products on your builds. In your experience, do you find that reloads are slowed by the pistol grip or no?

19. +1, my preference as well

20. Copis

Copis

Dec 30, 2007
    I looked at both a Hogue and a Speedfeed side by side and I now understand what you are describing in your above statement. Thanks for explaining it to us. :cheers: