close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Which class next

Discussion in 'GATE Self-Defense Forum' started by glock30user, Aug 20, 2014.

1. glock30user

glock30user

May 31, 2007
    U.S.A
    Dear Mas,
    I have taken a concealed carry 101 and defensive hangun course (both from Firearms Academy of Seattle which I highly recommend) and am looking into taking another course in the near future. I am very familiar with the M4 as well as pistols like the M&P9 that is my EDC and HD weapon. I want to ensure I am a well rounded shooter, espicially when it comes to defensive situations. My question is would it be better to pursue training with a rifle or more adavanced training with a pistol? I can see the real world situations where I would use a rifle being even more remote than those in which I would use a pistol, however don't want to ever need a skill and not have it.
    Thanks

2. Mas Ayoob

Mas Ayoob KoolAidAntidote Moderator

Nov 6, 2005
    Since Firearms Academy of Seattle is accessible to you, there's a great curriculum to choose from. Your assessment seems to be much like mine: pistol always accessible equals higher likelihood of taking recourse to it. In the home defense setting, the handgun is often more accessible than the long gun as well. I agree with you that this seems to indicate "a Major in pistol and a Minor in rifle," maintaining familiarity with both.

Since FAS is one of the relatively few private schools that offers "real deal" courses in gun retention and disarming, that would probably be first up on my list of next FAS courses if I were you.

Good luck, and congratulations on taking a wise approach to training.

Best,
    Mas