Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Connect with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Read up on the latest product reviews
  • Make new friends to go shooting with!
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

Glock Talk is the #1 site to discuss the world’s most popular pistol, chat about firearms, accessories and more.

Which cheaper mossbergs handle magnums? 3 inch chamber = magnum slugs?

Discussion in 'Tactical Shotguns' started by alfred10, Feb 25, 2011.

1. alfred10

May 18, 2008
    I am looking for a cheap shotgun to keep at my cabin. I prefer mossbergs and will need to be able to put a folding stock or pistol grip on it for where I want to hide it.

I am looking at the maverick 88, persuader, and 500. Will all 3 inch chambered guns handle all 3 inch and 2 3/4 inch shells? I was told the cheaper mossbergs wont chamber magnum and other common 3 inch ammo.

I want to be able to shoot 3 inch magnum slugs and buckshot.
  2. MedicOni

Nov 19, 2008
    Central NM
    My 500 shoots magnums just fine. Never had a bit of problems with it.

3. Ferdinandd

Feb 17, 2008
    I've had a couple M500's and yes they can handle 3" loads. I'll strongly advise against the folding stock or PG-only since these setups are typically uncomfortable to shoot with 2.75 inch, let alone 3" mags. The M500 is generally a field gun and its light weight makes for more severe recoil compared to an 870.
  4. alfred10

May 18, 2008
    Whats the difference between a maverick 88, persuader, and 500?
  5. I have a mossy 88 and shot 3" shell with a PG. It wasnt fun. I changed it to a shoulder stock and it still hits hard.
  6. Big Bird

Big Bird NRA Life Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Louisville KY
    Most any currently produced pump shotgun will handle 3" magnum shells. Most shooters cannot.
  7. Feanor

Feb 28, 2010
    What do you mean by cheap? Buds gun shop is selling model 51517 590A1 LE 6 shot's at $429.00 delivered! Thats the 18.5" barrel version of the USMC fighting shotgun, it's relatively inexpensive, but not cheap.

You can also obtain 6 shot Remington Express 870's for about $330.00, one of the best HD weapons money can buy. So, what do you mean by cheap, $180.00 - $250.00? If it were me, I'd go with the either the 590A1 or one of the 870 tactical models, a virtual no-brainer.
  8. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Moderator Millennium Member Lifetime Member

Jan 16, 2001
    Buried in the X-files
    Curiousity overwhelms me about how Alfred is planning on activating the safety on a Mossberg with a pistol grip, but then again, Alfred is a well known troll, so the odds of him ever having either a cabin OR a shotgun are slim.

You have fun firing magnums with a pistol grip.