close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Which bullet weight?

Discussion in '10mm Reloading Forum' started by Fire_Medic, Apr 16, 2010.

1. Fire_Medic

Fire_Medic Polymer Butcher CLM

May 19, 2008
    The Gunshine State
    I'm getting ready to place another order from Montana Gold and want to buy a case for the obvious saving $$. I'm going to start reloading 10mm for the first time and my 10mm loads will be just for fun as I don't hunt down here with the G29SF. I also reload for 40SW and have usually loaded 180gr bullets as they're softer shooting. I want to buy the same weight for my 40SW & 10MM loads and I'm torn between the 165gr and the 180gr.

My predicament lies in where I have an MP5 clone in 40SW with a Bolt specific for 165gr loads. Will the 165gr work well for me for both 10mm and 40SW? I currently have Unique, and WSF on hand, but was thinking of getting a 1# of Longhsot or AA#9 for some full power 10mm?

Any help would be appreciated here.

2. AJE

AJE Grumpy Old Man

Apr 5, 2004
    SW Ohio
    I'm going to need to order some more bullets for plinking as well. I had originally tried to order 165's but they were back ordered and I took the 180's instead. They work just fine however I was thinking of going with 165's too. I might just get a case of both, as I don't think I could go wrong with either.

3. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

Jan 26, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    I found the 165 grain TMJ 10mm loads with 6.5 grains of Unique (1012 fps) to be very accurate.

I'm still a 10mm newbie, so the main reason I'm chiming in is so I can follow this thread with the "Replies" search function.

I plan to load 250 to 300 more 165 grains and then I'll load 250 to 300 rounds of 180 grain TMJs. I'm just following a couple of reloading manuals that I have which list their most accurate loads.

I have two hundred and fifty 135 grain Nosler hollow points on back order for more nuclear loads.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2010
  4. Fire_Medic

May 19, 2008
    The Gunshine State
    What OAL are you using? Is this in a G20 or G29?

Thanks

5. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

Jan 26, 2009
    San Jose, CA
  6. Fire_Medic

May 19, 2008
    The Gunshine State
  7. I also had the same problem deciding which to order and ended up trying some 180 gr. I just got them in the mail yesterday. I figure I'll end up trying some 165 gr next. This is my first go around reloading 10mm so I'm sure over time you'll figure out which one you like best. At least that's what I'm hoping happens to me. I like my 20sf so much I haven't shot my 23 or 27 in months.

8. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

Jan 26, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    That's the way I'm looking at it. I have some Unique to burn up before I try another powder, so I'm glad my first batch turned out so accurate.

I'm putting the same connector into my 20sf that I have in my Glock 34. If my groups tighten up any more, it's going to be a coin toss which Glock is going to the range with me this week. :supergrin: Nice problem to have.

9. PBRLite

PBRLite

Jan 29, 2009
    Kansas
    Don't forget about West Coast Bullets. They are plated, but if you are loading up med velocity plinkers, they work great.

Nice thing about them is they offer them 500 at a time, and they have multiple weights.

http://xtremebullets.com/plated.htm

10. Kegs

Kegs Ol 8 fingers ;)

Oct 26, 2009
    Cold side of conus
    Yep.

I wonder: Does Montana gold have any reloading data regarding various powders and the velocity attained from them?

I asked them if they knew what their ballistic coefficient for their bullets were and they replied: No. :supergrin:

One thing I noticed about these bullets is that their jackets separate really easy - and they do not expand as well as other bullets (such as xtp) but it won't matter if you're just target shooting with them.

11. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

Jan 26, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    I believe that when you load plated bullets, you should use reloading data for lead bullets.

From Ranier Ballistics: http://www.rainierballistics.com/mainframe.htm

12. Taterhead

Taterhead Counting Beans

Dec 13, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    :agree:

I agree with everything stated about plated bullets. I'd also add, load them to the long end of specs (1.26"). Also EEEEEEAAAAAAAASY on the crimp.

For the 180 vs. 165 question, I shoot the 180 grainers at a bit less than supersonic velocities. For volume work, subsonic velocities seem to be a little less harsh to me in terms of percussion etc. An equivalent power factor from the 165 grainers would put them into supersonic (and louder) territory.

I know, I know, that is what hearing protection is for. However, the percussion seems a bit nicer at with the 180 gr bullets. Plus some of you would cry heresy at the thought of running a 180 grainer at less than 1200 fps:whistling:. That is ok too, and I run them up there for certain purposes. But that type of a power factor is a bit much for me in IDAP matches.

13. HOV

HOV

Mar 5, 2005
    I personally love soft shooting 10mm rounds. There's a sweet spot with 180-gr. rounds where it's still supersonic but not near max, but still above anything a .40S&W can do, and it's nice and accurate to boot. So far my favorite recipie is:

180-gr. Sierra FMJ
    6.5-gr. Unique
    Whatever brass
    CCI LPP

That load is just super sweet out of my stock G20. Cuts out the X and the recoil is quite manageable.

14. Fire_Medic

May 19, 2008
    The Gunshine State
    At what OAL, I still have some Unique on hand that I can try aside from the WSF that just came in. :supergrin:

15. _The_Shadow

_The_Shadow Ret. Fireman

Jul 23, 2007
    Southeast, LoUiSiAna
    Fire medic...I stay with in the 1.250" to 1.260" range with all my 10mm stuff, even the longer ones feed and function from my S&W10xx and Glock 29.

If I load to max powder charge weights I seat to the longer length.

16. Fire_Medic

May 19, 2008
    The Gunshine State
    Ok brother thanks for the info.

My bullets are en route and I have Unique and WSF on hand. Just need one more powder for some full power loads, debating between longshot and AA#9.

17. HOV

HOV

Mar 5, 2005
    ^^ Me too.

So far, the most accurate load I have made is a Sierra 180-gr. FMJ bullet over 6.4-gr. Unique with a COAL of 1.26". I have some Hornady XTP 180-gr. JHP over 6.6-gr. Unique in my magazine right now awaiting testing. I have a good feeling about them!!!!!

18. Fire_Medic

May 19, 2008
    The Gunshine State
    I got a good deal on some 180gr Hornady XTP hollow point loads and will be shooting one of the boxes I got tomorrow or Tuesday. :supergrin:

19. Snapper2

Snapper2

Feb 22, 2008
    s.east Texas
    I've had better luck with longshot and powerpistol.#9 is a good powder for full power but I've had some trouble seating hollow points(compressed loads)?
    800x is my favorite right now, but I hand weigh each round. I found some info on barnes 140gr tac-xp bullets with #7. 11gr-13gr max but I havent been able to seat the copper bullet without deforming hollow point with a charge greater than 12gr. 11.8gr is very accurate at an OAL of 1.260.

20. mitchshrader

mitchshrader Deceased

Jun 14, 2005
    Tulsa
    Heavy for caliber and a bit less speed is more accurate than the opposite. In any question where bullet weight matters I'll suggest as heavy an option as is defensible.
    I happen to notice this tendency of heavy for caliber seems to be moreso the older the folks are who are asked. I think that good performance with less stress on the gun, and precise shot placement rather than maximum power, becomes more valued with age.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2010