close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Which bullet feeder?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by CaptainXL, Dec 21, 2012.

1. CaptainXL

CaptainXL
    Expand Collapse

I have been pondering adding an electric bullet feeder to my Pro 1000. I know that I will have to make a few mods to the bullet feeder to get it to work with the Pro 1000, no matter which brand I end up buying.

I've looked at the RCBS, the Mr. BulletFeeder and the Hornady. I've checked reviews on the MidwayUSA website for the 3 feeders. Reviews for all of them are mixed but mostly positive with 1 or 2 negative reviews for each brand.

Please give me your opinions/reviews on any bullet feeders that you have used or have knowledge of.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. CaptainXL

CaptainXL
    Expand Collapse

I forgot to mention that I plan to use the electric feederto feed the bullet tube of with the Lee Bullet Feeder, similar to what this video shows on a Lee Loadmaster.

[ame]http://youtu.be/s9C3ru3FKV0[/ame]

3. SARDG

SARDG
    Expand Collapse

I've had my RCBS bullet feeder for 3 or 4 months and 'engineered' the mounting necessary to work with my 650 without the strong mount, but it's going to require a (strong) bracket for my application and I haven't had that made up yet... so it sits.

I can see that the RCBS wouldn't work as-is with the height that the 650 would be with the strong mount, but I've seen installations where folks mount the RCBS feeder on a 4x4 on their bench. Don't know if that would be a factor with your Pro 1000. It has to be high enough for the bullet to have an unhampered, straightish, smooth run down that spring and tube.

I did a couple of test runs without it mounted permanently and it appears that it will work without a hitch when adjusted properly, but there may be some gotchas I have yet to discover. Aren't there always?

I think RCBS still has a small rebate on most of their gear until the end of the year.

4. jmorris

jmorris
    Expand Collapse

The collator or bullet feeder, feeder made by KISS/Mr.bulletfeeder is a solid design that is pretty simple to make out of 6" PVC and 1/2" plastic.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel
    Expand Collapse

DAA makes the Mr Bullet Feeder. It is the best design. And it looks better and is cheaper now that they bought the product.

6. jmorris

jmorris
    Expand Collapse

Good point, the new collators made across the pond work the same way but have been "trimmed up" a bit and they hang them off the case feed collator.

[​IMG]

7. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak
    Expand Collapse
    KO Windows

I'm curious how you plan to make this work (in a practical sense). The Pro 1000 only has 3 stations, one of which will have to place the bullet on the brass. I could be wrong, but I don't believe the bullet feeders actually "seat" the bullet, they just place the bullet in the brass... so the 3rd step will have to be a seat/crimp die. That leaves one station to size/prime and drop powder... unless you're planning to size/prime before hand, at which point... the speed consideration goes out the window.

IGF

#7 IndyGunFreak, Dec 21, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
  8. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak
    Expand Collapse
    KO Windows

Sorry, missed this post. That makes more sense.

9. CaptainXL

CaptainXL
    Expand Collapse

Of the bullet feeders I've looked at I too think that the Mr Bullet Feeder appears to be the best. If money was not a factor that is the feeder that I would buy. It is the most costly and I unfortunately am on somewhat of a budget.

I made my decision based on cost and ordered a Hornady Bullet Feeder from CheaperThanDirt (CTD). I priced the Hornady on EBay, MidwayUSA, Grafs, Amazon, Brownells and other places and CTD had the lowest shipped price.

As I said previously, I plan to use the Nornady to keep the bullet tube of the Lee Bullet Feeder filled. I do plan to modify the Lee bullet tube by adding a SPDT limit switch to turn the feeder on and off when the tube is filled about half way.

To see what I am talking about as far as the limit switch see 0:23 and 6:03 to 6:31 times in the following Mr Bullet Feeder video.

[ame]http://youtu.be/T2mG7dVPxlU[/ame]

10. CaptainXL

CaptainXL
    Expand Collapse

Here is a video of the Hornady Bullet Feeder. In the video it mentions the bullet feed die, which I have not ordered and will not be using.

[ame]http://youtu.be/AUdkai2UhNQ[/ame]

11. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel
    Expand Collapse

Dang. Bad posting behavior.

#11 Colorado4Wheel, Dec 22, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2012
  12. CaptainXL

CaptainXL
    Expand Collapse

I did this video a while back and posted it in a separate thread. I should have also posted the video in this thread.

++++

I ended up buying a Hornady bullet collator and married it to the plastic bullet tube of a Lee Bullet Feeder. This video has several mods and the bullet collatorfeeder starts about half way through the video.

[ame]http://youtu.be/L4KXSfwUYlo[/ame]