close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Which Browser is best?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by rick458, Jul 3, 2004.

1. rick458

rick458
    Expand Collapse
    USS Texas BB-35

I run both Netscape 7.1, and IE.
    Netscape I have set up to block popups, but some vidio files wont work properly.
    IE does everything but is buggy as all getout, and popups out the butt.
    I have heard about Mozilla but am clueless about it.
    I prefer Netscape over IE, but which browser is really the best out there.
    P.S. I am using an HP with AMD processor2.1g with 1 gig 2700 DDR SDRAM

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. NMGlocker

NMGlocker
    Expand Collapse
    BOOM headshot

3. rick458

rick458
    Expand Collapse
    USS Texas BB-35

Trying it now, it seems much faster than either IE or Netscape
    looks like the old Netscape 4 series browser, before it got all AOLed up

4. NMGlocker

NMGlocker
    Expand Collapse
    BOOM headshot

Search here on the GT Tech forum for pipelining and Firefox speed up, it makes it even faster.
    No pop-ups, tabbed browsing, customization and speed make Firefox #1.

5. plato

plato
    Expand Collapse
    softie

What's the diff between the Firefox 0.9.1 and the Mozilla 1.7?

Only two things interest me, the tabbed function and FASTER speed.

I use dial up... how much faster?

Any pics of this tabbed window thing?

6. rick458

rick458
    Expand Collapse
    USS Texas BB-35

well I am broadbanding, but it seems at least twice as fast as Netscape, or IE.

7. nigneil146

nigneil146
    Expand Collapse

Firefox is just a browser. Mozilla Suite includes a browser, email and newsgroup client, irc chat client, and a html editor.

Here's a screen shot for you.

8. rick458

rick458
    Expand Collapse
    USS Texas BB-35

How do you get to the reload settings?

9. plato

plato
    Expand Collapse
    softie

Can I use Firefox with my MS Outlook Express?

That 'timed reload' function for open windows is pretty COOL.

I still don't see how the tabbed windows are any different from my minimized tabbed windows using my MS IExplorer... besides the timed reload thing.

Is FireFox faster than IE?

;c

10. nigneil146

nigneil146
    Expand Collapse

Firefox is WAY FASTER than IE. The tab browsing is nice for a couple reasons. My favorite is it leaves my taskbar open for more important things than just IE. I hate how it crowds up the taskbar, but I also hate that group similar windows junk.

That timed reload thing is very nice for ebay. That is not built into firefox, it's an extension. There is an extension for everything you would ever need. You can customize the browser to look and to do anything you want.

Check out this website for a sample of some of the extensions and themes for firefox. http://texturizer.net/firefox/

Some other reasons firefox is better than IE.

No popups
    None of the security vunerabilities that IE has
    Customizable in appearance and function
    Built in download manager

I also wanted to ask all kinds of questions and read up on why its better than IE and all that. I could kick myself for not using it sooner. My dvice would be to just install it and if you don't like it uninstall it. You really have nothing to lose since FF is free.

Also, if your going to use firefox for a browser, you should really think about thunderbird for an email client.

Just try it out, you'll be glad you did.

11. NetNinja

NetNinja
    Expand Collapse
    Always Faithful

Don't you dare use Outlook Express!

Get rid of that POS!

Use Mozilla Thunderbird.

How long have you been lurking here? There are probably 100 or more posts about not using Outlook Express as your email client.

If you have Outlook use that

12. Harlequin

Harlequin
    Expand Collapse
    I need a weapon

This is a copy and paste of a thread on another forum that I keep updated regularly.

For those who are tired of Microsoft program's constant security holes and lack of features, this post is for you.

The first step in computer security and reliability is to remove as much Microsoft software as possible from your computer. Since many use Internet Explorer and Outlook Express, that would cause a problem.

I've switched (permanently) to Mozilla Firefox and Thunderbird for surfing and email, respectively.

Firefox

Rather than building a browser based on the engine of another existing browser, Firefox was coded from scratch. The download and installation is tiny compared to other browser with the same features. This is because the browser comes with everything it needs to surf the net, and that's it. Extra functions are added with extensions, allowing the user to have only the addons needed. Firefox includes tabbed browsing, cookie controls, popup blocking, and supports all internet programing code. I have yet to find a site that Firefox can't display. Things like Flash and Java are compatible with it as well.

I have the following extensions installed in Firefox 0.9.1:

Adblock
    Single Window
    TextZoom
    Dictionary Search
    Openbook
    TabX (Does not seem to work in 0.9.1)

I use the Qute 2.1.2 theme.

Also, for fans of IESpell, there is an option to do the same in Firefox, without installing a different program. Instructions and all necessary files can be found here.

In addition, adding these lines of code to the user.js file will speed up page rendering, a lot. These lines make the browser so fast it's freaky. The file can be found (on Win2K) at C:\Documents and Settings\(profile name)\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\default.***\user.js. Replace the user.js file in the profile folder with the one in this zip file. If there isn't one there, place this one there. Users have tested different settings based on computer and connection speeds, so chose the one that most closely fits your setup.

These files were modified on 6/27/2004. It turns out the line user_pref("browser.cache.disk_cache_ssl", true); is a possible, but not proven, security risk. The file can't be accessed from the internet, but the secure page is cached on your comp for any user to see! Update your user.js file to remove it.

Midrange computer (500mhz or so) on dialup connection
    Midrange computer on any broadband connection
    Fast computer (1.0 ghz and up) on dialup connection
    Fast computer on DSL connection
    Fast computer on cable connection

It won't hurt to try several. If problems occur, just replace the user.js file with one for either a different machine or connection. You can't hurt anything.

Thunderbird

Thunderbird has all the features of OE plus built in spam filters. The filters are intuitive and "learn" as junk email is marked junk. I used to get a hundred or so spams a day, but now it's down to a couple a week. The rest automatically go. Thunderbird includes support for multiple accounts, has a built in spellchecker (which OE doesn't unless you have Office), and supports extensions and themes as well.

I have the following extensions installed in Thunderbird 0.7:

Contacts Sidebar
    Easy Get Mail Button
    Dictionary Search

I've used IE and OE, Netscape, and Opera and haven't found a better combination then Firefox and Thunderbird. I'll never go back now. I think you'll find that the speed and built in features, as well as extra features that you can install, make these two programs excellent choices even if you have no problems with IE and OE. And the price is right!

13. G21-30

G21-30
    Expand Collapse

14. Maxthemutt

Maxthemutt
    Expand Collapse

Once you've decided you like firefox and thunderbird do you remove IE and OE?

15. nigneil146

nigneil146
    Expand Collapse

Harlequin,

I'm using TabX 0.2 with FF 0.9.1 and it words fine. I got the extension from here.

Also, if your going to use TabX, to remove the close button from the tab bar place this in your UserChrome.css. I haven't done this yet.

/* Remove the close button on the tab bar */
    .tabs-closebutton {display: none !important;}

Does AdBlock work good? I haven't downloaded it yet because I don't know how to set up the preferences to tell it what to block.

16. ronin_asano

ronin_asano
    Expand Collapse

adblock works fine.

you set the preferences as you go. there's an 'adblock' button on the status bar. or you can right click objects you want to block, and add them to the filters.

17. ronin_asano

ronin_asano
    Expand Collapse

removing ie can't really be done. it's part of the os. it's also your file browser. you might want to keep it around so you can have easy access to windows updates when you need them. that's about all i use it for.

removing oe is something you should be able to do through the add/remove windows components in control panel. bring that up, uncheck the box for oe and follow the prompts.

18. Harlequin

Harlequin
    Expand Collapse
    I need a weapon

I tried an install from that site. It was the exact same file and isn't working. Must be a little flaky or there's a problem with compatibility with one of my other extensions.

19. Maxthemutt

Maxthemutt
    Expand Collapse

I've been using firefox since my last post, I like it. :)

20. nigneil146

nigneil146
    Expand Collapse

It could be a compatibility problem with some of the other extensions your running.

I'm not using:

Single Window
    Text Zomm
    Dictionary Search

I am running a whole bunch of other ones though with no problems. Here's a list:

Reload Every
    Popup Count
    IEview
    FLST
    Clone Window
    Nuke Anything
    TabX
    Download Manager Tweak
    Search Button
    Disable Target For Downloads
    Tabbrowser Preferences
    CTC
    Linky
    Open Book
    Show Image
    Context Search
    Adblock

Plus Java, Flash, Shockwave, and Calendar.

Sorry that one from that site didn't work.