close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Which base gun: Rock Island or Springfield milspec

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by 2006HighSierra, Mar 1, 2010.

1. 2006HighSierra

2006HighSierra

Jul 19, 2008
    I'm looking for a 1911, it will be my first one. Right now I'm just wanting a standard 1911A1, no front serations or anything. I can get a Springfield Milspec parkerized for around $600 but here in town the local shop has a Rock Island Armory/Armscor for $449. Aside from horrible grips and sights, the gun doesn't seem to be much different than the Springfield. The Springfield might have a slightly better fit/finish but the gun would get cerakoted down the road anyways. I don't know anyone with a RIA pistol though but I've been told they are pretty reliable in factory form. Any thoughts?

2. Tactical black

Tactical black

Jan 24, 2008
    Florida
    +1 :cool:

3. drc767

drc767 Navy CSAR

Dec 30, 2007
    Tennessee
  4. HAIL CAESAR

HAIL CAESAR Senior Member

Mar 1, 2007
    In my shop
    449 is way to much for a RIA GI.

The RIA will make you a fine gun. The Springfield is the one to get for future builds!!!

5. MD357

MD357

Jul 13, 2008
  6. 2006HighSierra

2006HighSierra

Jul 19, 2008
    well this seems one sided enough...I may just pass on the RIA

7. josp

josp

Jan 20, 2005
    PA
    Here's a vote for the RIA from someone who has one. Mine is utterly reliable, but I did go with the tactical model. Better sights, safety, hammer, trigger, etc.

No, it's not a Les/Wilson/kimber, etc., but for a carry gun that I won't mind bumping, scratching, or just plain using, it's great!

8. HAIL CAESAR

Mar 1, 2007
    In my shop
    I got one too. That said the OP asked for the best base gun.....Springfield without a doubt

9. Yep, I believe there's a bit of difference between buying a RIA as a reliable beater (which they can be), and buying one for a custom build.

Between those two, I'd also go with the Springer.

10. HAIL CAESAR

Mar 1, 2007
    In my shop
    Absolutely! I have an RIA that I use out in the fields as a so called "beater". It works great. Particularly because I have pennies in the whole rig.

But for gun to ever "build" on the Springer is the way to go. Heck there are custom smiths that will not even work on a RIA.

11. HAIL CAESAR

Mar 1, 2007
    In my shop
    [​IMG]

Here is my "tractor RIA". I love it cause it works and I have under 4 hundred in the whole mess as it sits.

12. josp

josp

Jan 20, 2005
    PA
    Well I got enough quotes to warrant me to re-read
    The original post and I can't find where he says he wants a base gun for a "build" project. Just says he wants a "base" gun.
    As that statement, I still vote RIA.

Now if he wants to build a race gun, or add on a lot of stuff and so forth, then I would also consider a Springer.

13. HAIL CAESAR

Mar 1, 2007
    In my shop
    Usually when I hear "base gun" I take it as meaning a base gun to do other things with later. So my advice is always a Springfield ( or actually usually a Colt).

If someone says a "Basic gun" then I usually point them at a RIA or also a Springfield.

14. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

Jun 19, 2008
    NW Ark.
    True. I'm a big RIA fan, and have 3, but for a base gun to further build upon, I'd go with the SA. It really depends on how far you are wanting to take it. Not that you can't build up a RIA, but there's a better chance that the SA, will meet the tolerances better. If all you're going to add to the gun are better sights and a match barrel and bushing, the RIA Tactical is the best route to take. It already has most of the items people are looking for on a 1911, and with new drop in sights and a new barrel/bushing, all you need to do is get it refinished and you've got yourself a good looking, fine shooting and reliable 1911 with not alot of money tied up in it.

15. Quack

Quack Rent this space

Jan 7, 2002
    NE Ohio
    Taurus or Para :tongueout:

my friend just bought a Mil-spec a few weeks back and this weekend i'm going to work it over for him with a 10-8 trigger, ambi-safety (he's a lefty), removing the ILS and cleaning up the hammer/sear.

16. HAIL CAESAR

Mar 1, 2007
    In my shop
    That is might nice of ya.

The Para and Tuari joke wasn't even funny.:tongueout:

17. Quack

Quack Rent this space

Jan 7, 2002
    NE Ohio
    well it save's me from buying my own (to work on) and i can buy other things, like another AR and AK :rofl: