close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

which 308 AR

Discussion in 'MBR Club' started by win, Dec 18, 2011.

1. win

win

Jun 30, 2001
    Hoxie, ks
    Looking to get an 308 AR. I would like a 6 pos stock and a shorter barrel and flattop.
    bushmaster, dpms?
    Plan on using it for shooting and hunting.
    My armalite ar10 20inch heavy barrel is just too heavy to carry very far.. Well too heavy to shoot free handed.
    My dad just got a bushmaster ocr.
    They do not use the same mag.
    just wondering what your thought are?
    thanks

2. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

May 15, 2010
    NW Florida
    Do you have a target budget? What are you planning to hunt?

3. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy
    I would not pick either,.........I would suggest getting a lighter weight
    upper for the Armalite you already own.

4. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

May 15, 2010
    NW Florida
    This would probably be the best option.

5. Deployment Solu

Deployment Solu Kydex Crafter

Jul 18, 2007
    Arkansas
    I have several SI Defense AR10s. I have a light weight 16" and a Match 22" and a few in between. Reasonably priced. Uppers and lowers are made from the same piece of aluminum. They use a pallet CNC machine. I get sub 1/2" @100 yds with the match and 3/4" at 100 w/ the 16".

http://www.si-defense.com/

6. win

win

Jun 30, 2001
    Hoxie, ks
    I will hunt deer. I would like to keep it to a 1K or so.

7. DieselNut

DieselNut

May 21, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2011
  8. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

May 15, 2010
    NW Florida
    Then my suggestion would be to invest the money into a quality upper for your existing AR-10, and swap uppers as needed.

9. Matthew Courtney

Matthew Courtney Instructor #298

Oct 14, 2002
    Lake Charles
    The 7.75 pound ORC is probably the lightest .308 AR around. Mine shoots 1.5 inch groups with Federal GMM and my Aimpoint. I have not put a scope on it to check if could do better than that. Does your Dad have a scope on his? how does it shoot?

10. win

win

Jun 30, 2001
    Hoxie, ks
    Dad has just got it. He also just got a scope this last weekend. He just need to put them together and get a nice day where he can shoot it.

11. FatBoy

FatBoy Millennium Member

Sep 2, 1999
    ME
  12. Singlestack Wonder

Singlestack Wonder

Nov 15, 2003
    Ohio
  13. GIockGuy24

GIockGuy24 Bring M&M's

Jul 14, 2005
    With Amber Lamps
    I bought an SR25K and an Armalite AR10 before the DPMS came out. They both are well made but the gas system is too short on the SR25K and really beats up the rifle and the shooter. THe AR10 carbine gas system is two inches longer and makes a difference. I have several uppers for the Armalite. I bought a DPMS when they first came out because they were so cheap to buy. It is made of cheaper materials (lower grade aluminum receivers) but works well. The early DPMS plastic magazines don't hold up but the SR25 magazines work in it. I looked at the Bushmaster. The others have many interchangeable parts but the Bushmaster bolt has shorter bolt lugs to clear the FAL magazine. I didn't buy the Bushmaster. I prefer the Armalite magazines over the SR25 magazines but they both work. The Armalite, DPMS and SR25 bolts will interchange.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2011
  14. Matthew Courtney

Oct 14, 2002
    Lake Charles
    Bushmaster .308's have been made with parts and magazines interchangable with dPMS and Knights for over two years. Only the very early version used the FAL mags.

15. Matthew Courtney

Oct 14, 2002
    Lake Charles
    I guess you missed the part where the OP said that his Armalite was too heavy. Putting this upper on his Armalite lower will make a rifle about a pound and a half heavier than what he has now. Also, the free floated Bushmasters are heavy barrel DPMS rifles are as accurate as anything else on the market. The Noveske will hold its accuracy better through long strings better than the Bushy because it does not have a chrome lined barrel.

16. win

win

Jun 30, 2001
    Hoxie, ks
    I alway thought the chrome lined barrel was better? I thought they lasted longer? Do you have to give up barrel lift for accuracy? How long will a chrome lined barrel last? How long will a chrome moly barrel last?
    thanks again

17. GIockGuy24

GIockGuy24 Bring M&M's

Jul 14, 2005
    With Amber Lamps
    Well 2 years isn't very long. I know Remington, Bushmaster and DPMS now have the same parent company. I thought the newest Bushmasters had changed but the ones that take FAL magazines were produced longer than the newest ones have been in production and there are more around than the newest type.

18. Matthew Courtney

Oct 14, 2002
    Lake Charles
    The OP referenced the current version in his initial post.

19. Matthew Courtney

Oct 14, 2002
    Lake Charles
    A barrel can be 'shot out' in 1000 rounds, or it can last for 20,000 rounds. .308 barrels last longer than 5.56 barrels if usage and configuration are the same.

The advantages of chrome is that it is harder than steel, maintains its hardness when hot, and resists oxidation even when hot. If you plan on doing regular mag dumps and do not need MOA accuracy, get a chrome lined barrel.

Disadvantage of chrome lined is loss of accuracy. A chrome lined barrel is a bi-metallic cylinder with metals which expand and contract at different rates when temperatures fluctuate. Point of impact changes with temperature. 1.5-2.5 moa accuracy is to be expected, more like 1.5 moa with a FF tube. If you want sub moa, get a stainless steel free floated short stiff barrel. No gaurantees, but that's where the odds are. Sighting in, marksmanship practice, and traditional hunting will not likely wear out a quality stainless barrel before you have shot many thousands of dollars in ammo. A replacement barrel is about 2-300 bucks.