close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

which .22 pistol

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by win, Jul 5, 2012.

1. win

win

Jun 30, 2001
    Hoxie, ks
    My daughter is in the market for a .22 per dad's request.
    Which is a good .22 pistol for young shooters. She wants a pink one.
    I see the M22 glock clone has a pink version. Also the Sig Mosquito has a pink model. But I must say the ruger sr22 really looks like a great gun for the money.
    Any thoughts on these guns or do you have any better ideas.
    thanks for your thoughts

2. stolenphot0

stolenphot0 RTF2 Addict

Jan 26, 2012
    Kettering, OH
    How old is she? I say you can't go wrong with a Ruger Mark series and others say the Buckmark. I tried the Mosquito with my 9yr old and the trigger pull was too long for her. While being heavier, the pull on the Mark III 22/45 was perfect for her and my 7 year old daughter.

3. win

win

Jun 30, 2001
    Hoxie, ks
    My daughter is 7. Not that big in to shooting. I hope to change that. The 22/45 might be a great choice. I hope this will be a life gift for her.
    thanks again

4. JaPes

JaPes Rimfire 1010101

Aug 21, 2010
    NW Burbs, IL
    A MKIII Standard 4.75". Get some pink grip panels.

5. stolenphot0

stolenphot0 RTF2 Addict

Jan 26, 2012
    Kettering, OH
    My 7 year old shoots with a rest under her hands, but aims on her own. She really gets into shooting now, and loves it when she is hitting bulls eye. I prefer the more traditional grip of the Marks, but I took my 9 year old to pick the gun, and she chose the 22/45. Makes them happy, so I am happy with it. I added a fiber optic front sight not too long ago and they like it even more now.

6. win

win

Jun 30, 2001
    Hoxie, ks
    whats your thoughts on the ruger mk1.

7. stolenphot0

stolenphot0 RTF2 Addict

Jan 26, 2012
    Kettering, OH
    I love the Mark I. I'm biased because it was the first pistol I ever shot and it belonged to my grandpa. I now have it (a 1979 model) that wasn't cleaned in 30+ years if ever and it functioned almost flawlessly. I had to order a new recoil assembly because it wouldn't cycle properly. If you can find one, I say buy it.

The Mark III seems to eat any ammo I run in it so far, and I am sure that the Mark I will once again. I need to take it out soon and make sure the RSA was indeed the problem.

8. win

win

Jun 30, 2001
    Hoxie, ks
    It seem the buckmark and the ruger mk1 2 and 3 eat ammo with out problem.
    I read and watch some videos on the other 22 out and it seems that they can be more picky. I shoot mainly the cheap stuff. The last thing I want to do is start buying different ammo for differ 22.
    thanks again

9. stolenphot0

stolenphot0 RTF2 Addict

Jan 26, 2012
    Kettering, OH
    No problem. I steered clear of Buckmarks because I didn't want to need a tool to field strip. I didn't really realize I needed a flat head screw driver to pop the Mark III free every time.

10. 4Rules

4Rules

Mar 11, 2012
    With a seven year old, hand size is likely to be an issue. The Ruger MK pistols are probably too large this application. The Walther P22 is pretty small, and the Ruger Bearcat is very small.

11. poodleplumber

poodleplumber

Apr 23, 2009
    The Beretta Neos has very small grips, and pink grips can be had. She might like the styling. Mine (sans pink grips) is extremely reliable and accurate.

12. Highspeedlane

Highspeedlane NRA Life Member

Jan 25, 2008
    New England
    I highly recommend the Ruger Mk series.

Not to be a nay sayer, but there are two guys I work with that bought the Sig Mosquito. One seems to have gotten his running but after much tinkering and he seems stuck with one brand of ammo (CCI standard vel).

The other guy can't get his running no matter what he uses. Every mag there is a failure of some sort. He's mentioned to me several times he wishes he hadn't bought it.

That said, do some research, get some feedback and good luck whichever your choice is.

13. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
  14. win

win

Jun 30, 2001
    Hoxie, ks
    will the MK I and MK II take the same mag?
    thanks

15. Also how big is her hand. I think Beretta Neos is perfect for small frame shooter. Very slime frame and very easy to operate. And it come with pink grip insert.

[​IMG]

16. Bruce M

Bruce M

Jan 3, 2010
    S FL
    I have no experience with one but from what I have read here I would avoid the Mosquito.

17. Jason D

Jason D INFRINGED Silver Member Millennium Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Mivonks, MI
    A young shooter may not have an easy time pulling the trigger on some guns, so having a nice trigger is a plus. Being so young weight is also an issue as a MK pistol can weigh in as much as a full sized .45. Therefore something light weight and polymer would probably be called for.

I would also be thinking about a gun that a small person could grow into. She may be small now, but want something bigger later.

If I were to give a gun to a 7 year old.
    I would be thinking about a MKIII 22/45, and might even go so far as to pick up one with the new aluminum upper. The polymer lower can be painted or dyed pink or whatever, and you can still put a really nice trigger in it. It may be on the heavy side at the beginning, but it's a gun she could grow with.

18. win

win

Jun 30, 2001
    Hoxie, ks
    thats kinda what I was thinking? Is the aluminum upper model called the LITE?
    I was looking at the 22/45 and some looked to have grip panels and some did not.
    Is this a model thing or am I just seeing things?
    If I were to have the frame colored what method would you suggest?
    thanks again

19. hogship

hogship It's MY Island

Don't know for sure, but I'd be willing to bet the MKI magazine will not fit the MKII, or MKIII. I do know that the MKIII magazine will fit the MKII, but not the other way around!

ooc

20. nathanours

nathanours Texan

I just got a new MKIII and love it. The first time out I put an entire box of wwb 555 through it without a single jam. Great little gun, and it was only $300 new.

[​IMG]