Which 1911?

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by District18, Jun 22, 2011.

1. I own two 1911s, both purchased used. The first is a Loaded Springfield Armory Stainless. The second is a Colt Trophy Match. I'm a novice as far as 1911s go. Can anyone offer insight as to which is better? Which is more accurate? Which is more reliable? Are there any inherent problems with either?
    If the time comes that I can only keep one, which one?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    F/S New 1930's Style Tan Basket Weave 1911 Auto Holster Holsters & Related Items 41 minutes ago
    Mid/Compact sized 1911 Question 1911 Forums Today at 2:32 PM
    1911 Grips & Miculek Competition Grips for S&W K-Frame Sq butt Gun Parts & Accessories Today at 1:57 PM
    Getting into 1911's General Firearms Forum Yesterday at 2:22 AM
    Colt 1911 100th Anniversary Commemorative Tier II w/ Display Case (Colorado) Firearms Listings Saturday at 4:18 PM

3. Which is better or more accurate? You tell us. You will get differing opinions. Keep whichever one you shoot better. :thumbsup:

4. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

I agree.

5. Judging from you sig line, you'll have a bunch of Glocks to liquidize before you put have to put a 1911 on the choppin' block!

6. Is that a Colt Gold Cup Trophy?

7. Yes. Sorry that's what I meant. Gold Cup Trophy.

8. I'd take that over a Loaded any day.

9. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

I agree. Never handled a Loaded that impressed me in the least.

10. I like my Springfield Loaded models, but if the Colt shoots even close to the SA, keep it, as it will likely have higher-quality internals than the SA.

#9 CMG, Jun 22, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2011
  11. The Springfield shoots very nicely. Haven't had an opportunity to shoot the Colt yet. The Springfield seems front heavy, the Colt seems to have better balance.
    Should I put in a heavier spring in either gun when shooting hotter defensive loads like Cor-Bon or Doubletap?

#10 District18, Jun 23, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  12. Three-Five-Seven

Three-Five-Seven Señor Mombo
    Millennium Member

Yes, defensive loads require heavy spring. Gold Cups have VERY light mainspring and recoil spring.

13. Since you bought them both used it's hard to say. Some Gold Cups came with two recoil springs, one for wadcutter (ight) loads, and one for standard ammo.

If you can compare the SA and Colt springs and the Colt feels softer, use the SA recoil spring for ammo testing, or buy a new 16 - 18 lb spring.

14. +10 Colts may or not be some of the best but hold there value very well.

15. Cobra64

Cobra64 Deals in Facts

Me too.

[​IMG]

(Loaded)​

16. :rofl:

17. Yes they do :)

18. ptmccain

Platinum Member

Colts are definitely the best 1911 when it comes to extracting....money from your bank account.

:tongueout:

19. Ditch the Springer Loaded, keep the Gold Cup.
    If your Gold Cup won't shoot at least twice as good as the Springer I'd be shocked.
    I have a Loaded and it sucks.
    I have had many telephone conversations with techs at Sprinfiled.
    The Loaded is only gaurunteed to shoot 3.5 inch groups benched at 25 yards.
    My Gold Cup Trophy shoots 1.25" with any good load.
    Better if I'm having a good range session.
    Nothing helps the Loaded.
    I got suckered into dropping large bucks on the Springfiled TRP.
    BIG mistake.
    It shot 5 inches and worse with any load I tried and shoot an average of 10 inches high.
    That's a nearly $1500.00 handgun.
    Back to the factory it went.
    4 weeks later it came back shooted dead on and decent groups of under 2 inches.
    After about 25 rounds the pistol literally ground to a halt.
    It stopped working completely. I took it apart and found stainless steel shavings had gotten into the rails and really gouged them up big time.
    Back to the shop with a nasty letter.
    It came back in a week, no gouges, how they got them out is a mystery to me.
    With Win231 and 200 grain XTP's it shoots 1.25 " c to c regularly.
    That's the way it should have been in the first place.
    To me he very BEST 1911 factory bult 1911 is the Kimber, bar none.
    I have 3 Kimbers.
    All shoot like a Gold Cup.
    My 10 year old Eclipse with adj. night sights will outshoot the Gold Cup with select loads.
    I'm ditching the Loaded a.s.a.p. and putting the money aside to build up some bucks for another full size Kimber.
    If the TRP behaves, does not break down, continues shooting so well I'll reluctantly keep it.
    Any Glock will outshoot any Loaded any day of the week.

20. :faint:

While that may be true of the single example you own, I know it's not true for them all.

#19 CMG, Jun 26, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2011
  21. ptmccain

Platinum Member

I'd like to see some targets showing a 1.25" or better group at 25 yards from your good range session.