Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

Which “survivalist” show on TV is most laughable?

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by Kozel, Jul 17, 2012.

1. Kozel

Jan 16, 2007
    46.58N 121.75W
    Which “survivalist” show on TV is most laughable?

Bear Grylls is a total clown. Good laughs.

“Dual survival” is second best. Barefoot Goldilocks and Fool-in-The-Hat is the second best for laughs.

Now the “Mountain Men” is starting to get funny.

Only Les Shroud seems to be reasonable with that guy on “Man Woman Wild” being distant second.
  2. TangoFoxtrot

TangoFoxtrot OIF 04-05

Sep 10, 2008
    Nowhereville, USA
    Les Stroud for sure. He spends more time screwing around with cameras, then he does teaching. He can be very annoying.
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2012

3. OMEGA5

Jun 28, 2001
    All of them!
    Dano :harley:
  4. Toyman

May 6, 2003
    West Michigan
    Dual survival by far. Running around in the Montana wilderness during the winter in shorts and stocking feet? Completely ridiculous! Beyond laughable.

Bear Grylls is a close second, basically does all kinds of stuff that you shouldn't.
  5. John Rambo

John Rambo Raven

Feb 15, 2010
    Tampa, Fl.
    Are you out of your damn mind? Les Stroud is the baddest mf'er to ever do a series like that. Better than that Bear Gryllis faker who travels with a camera crew and gets put into made-up situations, in between whoring around cheap rebranded Gerber gear. I've learned a whole lot from watching Les Stroud.

I'm gonna go with Bear Gryllis as #1, in fact. He has no business talking about survival when he isn't really in a survival situation at all.
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2012
  6. WhiskeyUnicorn

WhiskeyUnicorn Mall Ninja Extraordinaire

Nov 13, 2010
    Savannah, GA
    I like les stroud and man woman wild. Bear grylls is a brand whoring yuppie. The hippy and other fella are obnoxious. I like mountain men its a decent show but not for survival

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
  7. quake

quake Millennium Member

Aug 4, 1999
    Arkansas, USA
    Have to agree with John Rambo on this one. (Was bound to happen eventually... :supergrin: )

I don't know if he's the "baddest", but he definitely seems the most rational - or maybe just the most adult-like - of the ones I've seen.
  8. pmwglock19

Oct 10, 2008
    The best id Les Stroud out there. The jokes are below:

Bear Grylis - fake and stupid.
    Dual Survival -At least you can learn something, but the 2 men are extreme in how they do it. Can only take watching it if nothing else is on.
    Mountain Men - The alaskan is a joke with all the problems he created for himself. Eustace has his hands in too many fires and the couple in wyoming has trouble finding food. How has he lasted this long out there.
    Survivor - complete joke, just a game show.
  9. cowboy1964

Sep 4, 2009
    Are all the bugs and whatnot Bear eats fake? I wonder how many of the people that call him a joke can do that?

Les Stroud isn't THAT impressive. He even admits sometimes that he's "never done this before". Greeeeat.

Here's a better question: If YOU were in a real survival situation and could pick one of these people to be with you, who would you pick? I'd pick Bear. Or Ginger.
  10. Which one has more meat?
  11. You guys watch TV?

Who knew . . .

12. John Rambo

John Rambo Raven

Feb 15, 2010
    Tampa, Fl.
    Every idiot on that old gameshow ate bugs and balls and nasty stuff too. Whats your point?

Considering Bear Gryllis is a faker and Les Stroud really does it, Les Strous wins without any kind of hesitation.
  13. FatBoy

FatBoy Millennium Member

Sep 2, 1999
    Well, I guess what was the exact survival situation? In his show he does stuff that is just damn crazy and not what a rational personal would do in a similar situation, IF they were alone in the wilderness. He may/does have the skills when there is a whole crew to prep and help if he gets into trouble, but alone you wouldn't catch me doing a lot of that foolishness. What are the chances of a life vest suddenly appearing under your shirt just as you jump into the Colorado(?) River to free float downstream to save time, or when you decide to climb down a waterfall to save time a rope appears mixed in w/ the natural vines you are using to descend. Bear does have some military training that may come in handy depending on the exact situation adn has climbed Everest so he does have skill, but his show is not what I would think a "Survivalist" would do to survive alone.

Les is all by himself. If he gets into deep dodo, he is toast. He takes less chances and will take the safer route when choosing his options as there are no miracle ropes, life vests, or someone to lend a hand if he gets into trouble. Well, except for his emergency radio.

Just on the shows, I choose Les, but Bear has skills that aren't really part of the show.
  14. itstime

Apr 9, 2006
    As the barefoot hippy goes in Dual, I give him credit. He is doing what he believes in and sticks to it.

If I were stuck in the desert, he would be the one I want with me for sure.

I can tell you for fact, the producers have the say in what goes on tape. Not the people in the show. There have been episodes where I know one person did not want to do what the producer wanted and in the end the producer won. Education loses for big and shiny.
  15. quake

quake Millennium Member

Aug 4, 1999
    Arkansas, USA
    Many here, including myself, have done that. It's unusual for us americans, but not abnormal for a whole lot of the world. Doesn't make you uber-tough, just takes a little (not a lot) of self-control.

"Never done it before" can be said of a whole lot of things for each of us; sometimes on a daily basis. Being able to repeat something is a good thing, but being able to accomplish new things is even better.

I'd pick Les Stroud, one of my hillbilly family members, or even one of my grown boys over Grylls. At least I know my family members are honest, which is something that Grylls has been repeatedly documented to just not be. (Search out "lava sets Grylls' shoes on fire" or similar for one of my favorite fraudulent Grylls episodes. :rofl: ) Guy may well be competent, but even if so, he's also a documented fraud; and that makes him someone I would NOT want at my back in a survival situation.

Then again, I'd pick Mary Ann over Ginger for that matter.
  16. Lt Scott 14

Lt Scott 14

Mar 14, 2006
    N.W. Indiana
    Bear's tv days are over.(for now) Les Stroud gets my vote for his use of skills, and he admits doesn't know everything. He gets a briefing, bunch of cameras(some is crap-too heavy) and his multitool to survive, and the schmalzy harmonica or guitar.
    Myke Hawks is interesting, wifey is a dish, and does it for the audience. Watching her eat bugs, and vomiting can't be faked, she gets a vote also.
  17. collim1

collim1 Shower Time!

Mar 14, 2005
    I gotta stick up for Cody Lundin. I have read both of his books. Yes, he himself does not wear socks and shoes, but he does not tell people to try that.

He is awesome at primitive fire and making water potable.
  18. FatBoy

FatBoy Millennium Member

Sep 2, 1999
    Yes and yes
  19. Syclone538

Jan 8, 2006
    I think I've seen all of Les Stroud's shows, and I've seen probably 2 or 3 of Bear Grills.

Les is pretty good I think, other then the fact that he is basically starving all week.

If Bear did a show like Les, and acted like he did on his own, he would die in episode #1.

I actually like some of the "I Should't be Alive" episodes too.
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2012