close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Where's the official "Hatfields and McCoy's" thread?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by GlockinNJ, May 29, 2012.

1. GlockinNJ

GlockinNJ

I thought I'd see some discussion this morning about Hatfields and McCoys, like we do with Walking Dead, but I don't see any threads about it.

So, what did y'all think?

I liked Costner as Devil Anse. I really liked the period language, clothing, houses, etc. I hate that McCoy family lawyer (named Cline?) He stirs up so much trouble. Not sure how historically accurate that is.

Anyway, I look forward to more bloodshed tonight.

2. Pred8tory

Pred8tory Retired Copper Lifetime Member

I didn't see any Glocks in it.:supergrin:

3. stolenphot0

stolenphot0 RTF2 Addict

I have enjoyed it so far. Some pretty interesting backstory, none of which I have ever researched. Guess I'll just take Hollywood's portrayal for accuracy.

I thought it started out trying to show a one-sidedness to the story, but seemed to work its way out of that after a bit.

4. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

I dunno. I'm still waiting for Bill Paxton to start whining like he does in every movie. Maybe the silent crying with the wife was his homage to it. ????

Costner is spectacular. Again, not sure on the period-correct attitudes of any of these folk, but it seems he is caught between doing right and what is "fair." I like that struggle in him.

The lawyer is a scumbag who hopefully dies. Hope the kid lives to marry the gal. All of this is BS. It's a historical account of a bloody decades-long feud. I'm not sure I'll watch any more. We know how it ends - epically poorly. We are designed to feel bad for certain characters, but truth is - we don't know if they wuz the noble ones and the moe-rons were the rabble-rousers. Coulda been the other way around.

4 more hours of this smacks of a late 70's epic ABC Miniseries Special Event to me. I grew up hating those, so I may be a tad biased. When you have the plot 99% figgered out by hour 1 of a six hour show, it loses the flair.

If this was on Netflix, I wouldn't' rent it. That said, I don't watch much of any TV stuff on Netflix ever. Somehow it seems too slow or something. ???? (Like, ANYTHING. The Office, The Riches, Jesse Stone, etc., Unwatchable to me. The few that I like are almost always produced by HBO.)

5. blee2112

blee2112

I really like it so far. I enjoy that type of thing which is why I watch the History Channel a lot anyway. I assume it's historically accurate since it's a HC production, but I can't swear to that! I don't like the slimy lawyer either but I really can't stand Uncle Jim.

I loved mini-series back in the 70s, but not the afterschool specials ... those are two different animals! Richard Chamberlain was the king of the mini-series back then and he was in a lot of good ones ... Shogun, The Thorn Birds, and my all-time fave Centennial.

6. dewelrtexas

dewelrtexas

So far it has been accurate. Sure there are a few things changed to make it fit into the time frame for TV. I am not an expert on the subject, but from what I know it has been pretty close. Sucks though, knowing what happens kind of ruined last nights ending..

Now being a Taylor I would like to see a Taylor-Sutton feud! :supergrin:

7. ordersman

ordersman Still Reloading

No don't. Its worth your time to research it some. So far the main part that has been made "hollywood" is the civil war service of both men. Devil shooting the union soldier on the road and the lawyer cousin.

Also it is understated in the movie how long a period of time this fued happened over. It should also be said that by todays standards Devil was basically a millionare due to his timber business and the influence his money brought him was very important. The McCoys were simple farmers. They did fine for themselves (when comaired to most people back then) but Devil was flat out rich and very well connected.

ETA - I do like it so far and will watch all of it but it does make it a little better if you know all the facts (or well as close as you can get to facts 100 plus years latter)

Last edited: May 29, 2012
  8. KappaAlphaASU

KappaAlphaASU

I've researched a little when I saw that they were going to be doing this show & it seems pretty accurate for the most part but Hollywood has changed a few things around. So far I think it's great. Kevin Cosner has been doing great as Devil Anse.

Last edited: May 29, 2012
  9. jame

jame I don't even know....what I'm doing here....

I like the show so far, but it's a mini series that's screaming for subtitles.

Holy crap. I can only understand half of what's being said, and a Southerner from work even complained about it to me today.

I do like Costner in works like this, though.

10. GlockinNJ

GlockinNJ

Yeah, about 30 minutes into the first episode, I turned on CC so that I could read the dialogue - it really hep'ed. I wouldn't want it any other way though - it adds to the authenticity and I like it.

I also like the musical score - that slow haunting bluegrass music is awesome.

That guy Phillips is a main character. Does anyone know if the character is historically accurate? In last night's episode, he said he rode with the James gang. True?

11. 9jeeps

9jeeps

Too dang many commercial interuptions.

However being raised up in Central Ohio Hill country back in the forties, early fifties
    and having a bunch of McCoys as neighbors who were direct descendants.
    It was interesting.

Still recall the kids getting on the School Bus with bare feet on frosty mornings. A bunch of kids but fiercly independent, defensive, and by and large pretty smart! I liked them all!

Memories have faded some but it seems there were 9 to 15 from
    the McCoy side and they were like stair steps.

Later on I worked with and got to know well, some Hatfields that were also direct descendants. They left me with their wildly funny sense of humor that I still carry memories of today.

Interesting stories from both sides. Although both sides were reluctant to say anything or just didn't know much of the history and didn't seem to care, as so much time had passed plus they were in pursuit of a newer and more productive lives and of course that feud was long time passed.

12. GLWyandotte

GLWyandotte Señor Member

Costner with a corn-cob pipe just makes me laugh.

13. ordersman

ordersman Still Reloading

don't know if he was real or not when it comes to the "James gang" but have never heard of him when reading about the fued .... It has been about 50/50 so far on how accurate it is. We will see tonight. There are two mor main events to happen (in real life). One happens at the McCoy house in KY the other involves a "battle" at a river, that ends the fued for good. But all the bounty hunting is false.

Last edited: May 30, 2012
  14. dewelrtexas

dewelrtexas

Frank Phillips was real, atleast I remember reading about him killing one of the main Hatfield's portrayed in the show.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

15. Nutt51

Nutt51

They won't show up until the final episode when ole' Gaston invented them in the late 1800's.
    Recreation of the "Hornets Nest", at Shiloh, is coming.

On a serious note, I mentioned during the second night, that I thought Costner's acting ability had gotten better over the last few years. I liked "Silverado", and "Dances With Wolves", but
    never really liked the way Costner portrayed his characters.
    I really liked "Open Range", and thought he was very good in it, and he has done a good job so far in this series.

16. Fox184

Fox184

That's really cool. My 3rd great grandfather was a McCoy and he was from Ohio. My 2nd great grandfather faught in the Civil war and was with an Ohio Regiment. They left Ohio, went to Iowa, and then homesteaded in Nebraska.

17. bob_fuller

bob_fuller

I thought the series overall was good. Very sad, too. Excellent acting, I'd say. The 10 minutes of commercials for every 5 minutes of showtime tonight was really frustrating though.

18. Go Hogs

Go Hogs

Costner, with able help from Powers Boothe, Tom Berenger and Bill Paxton did a fine job of bringing this story to the screen. And it set a ratings record for a non-sports cable production. Kudos to the History Channel.

19. 9jeeps

9jeeps

I didn't see Costner with a corn cob pipe, He did do a lot of drawing on that Kentucky Briar short stemmed Apple though.

I still just fumed at the commercials but it gave me time to replenish my coffe, take out the trash. wash the car. feed the cat, write my last will and testament, marry a couple of times and plant a nice garden.:whistling:

20. 9jeeps

9jeeps