close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Where would you go to disappear/blend in?

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by emt1581, Mar 31, 2012.

1. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Oct 17, 2002
    Penn's Woods
    Let's say you had a personal SHTF. Might sound odd but...the first few days after you hit the lotto. Maybe you have someone after you. Maybe a stalker/ex just won't take the hint. Could be something else. Whatever it is... where would you go to disappear?

If you are not comfy sharing your specific destination, tell us about it. In the middle of nowhere or a huge city with lots of people? Why is that the place you would go to? If you have one, how would your family fit into the equation?

Plus, how would you realistically make it happen? I mean, not all of us are sitting on six or seven figures and able to just up and leave. That's another thing that sounds odd, but a BOB, unless it's stuffed with cash, won't help you a great deal in this case IMO.

Thanks

-Emt1581

2. Protus

Protus

Apr 6, 2008
    well if i won the lotto...i'd just go backpacking for a long time.
    lotta trails out there.....

same thing if i had no money...walking is cheap..

3. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

May 24, 2000
    Beaumont,Texas
  4. Creatism

Creatism

Dec 25, 2011
    If I won the lotto, I'd buy a sail boat and disappear for a few yrs.
    Otherwise the backpacking idea sounds good too!

Typed from my iPhone.

5. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Oct 17, 2002
    Penn's Woods
    Why a city vs. the woods/middle of nowhere?

Thanks

-Emt1581

6. Dexters

Dexters

May 3, 2004
    ga
    EMT - if you still have to work at your current job you have a problem because all the BG has to do is wait there and follow you home.

If you don't have to work - buy a small RV and travel or go to a RV park wherever you like.

7. Rumbler_G20

Rumbler_G20

Dec 5, 2011
    N. Florida
    If your job is more important than your need to disappear then you do not need to disappear.

Simple stuff.:dunno:

8. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Jul 31, 2005
    Atlanta
    In this hypothetical:

Does the risk outweigh my need to keep working at my job?

Does the risk outweigh my need to keep attending classes?

What kind of financial resources do I have?

What/who is after me? What is their position vs my immediate family?

Last edited: Mar 31, 2012
  9. R_W

R_W

Nov 8, 2007
    There is a LOT of anonymity in a crowd. And no new guy stigma like in a small town. That is where I would go for the lotto example.

I have several circles of friends that aren't connected to each other; I could choose the one least connected to the issue. A couple of them are pretty much under the radar, not complete ghosts but close.

I have a few horror stories about this topic from friends. It is HARD to disappear unless YOU CUT ALL TIES. No friends or family, cell phone, social media, email, bank, credit cards, car. You have to COMPLETELY walk away from EVERYTHING. That part from the movies is true.

Women go to a shelter to get away from an abusive husband/boyfriend and keep the phone with the FAMILY LOCATOR function on it. Or keep posting pictures on FB with GEOTAGS. :faint:

10. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

May 24, 2000
    Beaumont,Texas
    :agree:

11. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Jan 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    Alaska or Texas or, as others have said, a big city like Miami, Houston, etc.

12. I would hit the interstate system with a full tank of gas and be somewhere within a few thousand square miles within hours. With a couple of choice guns, of course.

13. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Oct 17, 2002
    Penn's Woods
    The need to keep a job is an issue.

For me, I can take a few weeks off of work without any risk. But if it is a life/death situation I could care less about anything other than keeping myself/family safe.

Finances are going to be different for all of us. That's why this is an individual thing that I can't shed light on.

I gave a few examples of "threats". But I'd like to have the ability to do this alone as well as with family. But that raises another issue. If immediate family is not in danger and can be stashed at a friend/family member's home....what's to say the "threat" does not switch gears and go after them?

Personally, the only way I can see leaving without my family is if LE/Gov is the "threat". Such a discussion probably would have little place here.

-Emt1581

14. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Jul 31, 2005
    Atlanta
    Can you extrapolate?

Then I'll answer assuming I can take a few weeks off...unless it's a life/death situation. Is it?

A stalker who won't take the hint and winning the lottery are pretty damn different 'threats'

How about narrowing it down?

Your question is about as useful as a carry issues thread that asks "If you were threatened, would you shoot?"

15. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Oct 17, 2002
    Penn's Woods
    I wasn't thinking of any threat in particular...just one that meant I had to get out of dodge...but I was the only one that had to do so.

Feel free to name your own threats.

I'm just curious if people would pick lots of people/city or middle of no where. If it would depend on the threat, as I'm gathering from your follow-ups, fill in the blanks for both.

-Emt1581

16. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Jul 31, 2005
    Atlanta

Get in the car. Drive. Don't be followed. Go far away. Nowhere predictable for any reason. Stay there.

What kind of destination? Big enough that people won't recognize me as new/an outsider. Big enough people won't get asking personal questions or they won't think anything of it/be offended if I avoid such questions.

However, I find it hard to envision a scenario where I feel threatened enough to pick up and go far far away while leaving my wife here. But hey, our car can take both of us...and the dogs...with room to spare.

17. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Oct 17, 2002
    Penn's Woods
    Nowhere predictable goes both ways right? This is interesting...means you probably can't have any previous attachment to or experience there either...no?

From your "kind of destination" description is sounds like you are describing a large city. Just my thoughts mind you.

The more I think about this question the more I wonder why I would be running away instead of addressing the problem??

Only ones that come to mind is if I win the lotto or have a gang after me for some reason...

-Emt1581

18. R_W

R_W

Nov 8, 2007
    +1. All my plans include family. I may play decoy--send my family offgrid while I leave a trail.

I am not sure what would take me to that point, though, as I'm to the point I won't run (from home) for any foreseeable reason.

19. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Jul 31, 2005
    Atlanta
    It would be somewhere I have never been before.

It doesn't have to be a large city. A place doesn't have to be very big to meet that description. It just can't be somewhere so small/out in the country that everybody knows everybody. As long as it is big enough that you can show up and walk down the street without anybody knowing you are 'new', that will work.

Gang? I'm not leaving by myself.

20. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Oct 17, 2002
    Penn's Woods
    I've thought similarly but instead of a trail...just stay put. Either that or go somewhere secluded so you can control/monitor the environment somewhat.

-Emt1581