close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Where to look for police trade in ARs?

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by brickboy240, Jan 18, 2011.

1. I have noticed some here, saying that you can find police trade in ARs for 650 dollars..if you look around.

Since I am guessing this might be a good deal, versus a CMMG bargain bin AR or other lower tier AR, this might be my route to getting an AR-15.

This rifle will be a plinker/range toy and possible back up SHTF gun to my custom AK and a replacement for my aging Mini-14. I do NOT want to spend more than this...if its not possible...I'll stick with what I have.

Any links to places where I might find a decent police trade in AR in the 650 dollar range would be appreciated.

I plan on keeping open sights, so an A2 upper is not a big deal. Something in the Bushmaster Patrolman's Rifle range would be just fine.

Thanks in advance for the info.

- brickboy240

2. ghostman1960

ghostman1960 Static Nomad

Mar 3, 2008
    Florida Dammit
    CDNN had some Colt police trade ins in their last catalog. I don't think they were that cheap though.

3. I have found a few "buy it now' deals on Gunbroker for Bushy Patrolmans carbines in the 700-725 range. some of these even had detachable handles.

Not bad and definitely what I am looking for and I might have to go this route, if I cannot find anything for 650.

I know...I know...spend another 200, 300 bucks and I could have a _____ but this is just a plinker, knock around rifle...not a SWAT entry piece or a 3 gun match shooter. Its going to ride on my ATV and get rained on and dirty and knocked around and treated like my AK.

650 is my budget but I might have to spend 700. I am also leery of Gunbroker.

Is the CMMG Bargain Bin a better route?

- brickboy240

4. tx787

tx787

Feb 11, 2010
    I don't think there are that many agencies turning in AR's, in fact there are many still just starting to adopt them. CMMG Bargain Bin is not a good route. I think your best bet is to check local stores and gun shows and maybe some of the larger online dealers that deal in trade-ins like OMB, etc.

5. mjkeat

mjkeat

Jun 17, 2009
    Midwest
    I personally have never seen a decent AR at a decent price at a gun show. They are generally overpriced and lower quality. For an extra $100 you can purchase a Spikes complete upper and stripped lower along w/ the parts needed to build the lower from Aimsurplus an

6. Who is OMB?

(sorry...I come from the AK world....took me a while to figure out what BCM meant! LOL)

I agree with the gunshows....total rip off. I see DPMS and Bushy basic ARs for a grand or so. Lots of "franken-ARs" and other "project guns" no thank you.

The reason I was looking for a police trade in, is because their trades are usually worn on he outside, but hardly shot and like new on inside. I have three pistols that were police trades and they look really worn on the outside but their internals were perfect.

I'll keep looking...

- brickboy240

7. Wood

Wood

Feb 7, 2006
    Kansas
    ombexpress.com

8. huskerbuttons

huskerbuttons

Jan 25, 2008
    SW Ohio
    ^^What he said.^^

9. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy
    The lase one I saw was a Bushmaster Patrolman........40% od the finish was missing.
    The Officer selling it worked with a friend of mine in Melborne FL. Honest guy, very few rounds fired.
    He was rather firm on the price, for another $175 I could buy a new one.

10. CAcop

CAcop

Jul 21, 2002
    California
    Kiesler's has some LE trade ins from time to time. Summit Gunbroker always has something good on their site, they might get them.

11. Glockin26

Glockin26

Feb 22, 2010
    Renton, WA
    This is what I'm doing. Best part is i bought my lower locally so no FFL and everything else is no tax.